[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Easy to read books for non-native english readers. Can you recommend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_mw6wwgFR0F1qmudqio1_1280.jpg (285 KB, 1280x956) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mw6wwgFR0F1qmudqio1_1280.jpg
285 KB, 1280x956
Easy to read books for non-native english readers. Can you recommend some?

I just finished 1984 and it was pretty easy.
>>
>>7719691
Probably all the classics. To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men.

The Stranger is french but the translation seemed pretty easy to me so that might be good too
>>
>>7719691
what's your native language?
>>
>>7719691
Agatha Christie's whodunits. I would recommend "Ten little niggers" (known today as "And there were") or "The crooked house".
>>
>>7719711
*And there were none
>>
>>7719698

Non-native english speaker here (not OP) and I highly recommend Catcher in the Rye as well. Highly enjoyable and not difficult at all.
>>
>>7719698
>>7719722

These. In my experience, the easiest to read are by americans of the twentieth century. That or translations (but reading a translation in a non native language leaves you with a bad and dirty feeling).

So I add
>Slaughterhouse five
>Johny got his gun
>Catch-22
>The naked and the dead

Or you could also read 'The Sandmand' by Neil Gaiman for something lighter.
>>
>>7719691
Also The Sun Also Rises is easy as shit and really comfy
>>
>>7719691
Not Moby Dick.
>>
Pretty much everything in the starter kit save for A Clockwork Orange.
>>
>>7719772
>fucking enciclopedic chapters full of nautical terms
>good for beginners

Great book though.
>>
>>7719779
>Of Mice and Men
what's in the starter kit? Name 10 plez.
>>
Hemmingway and vonnegut are essential easy American lit. Brave New world is easy if you want more of that, same with animal farm.
>>
>>7719698
>Probably all the classics.
I disagree. My native language is spanish and I have had a hard time reading Shakespeare's plays. Dickens' prose was also hard to follow.
>>
>>7719927
Theres a template pic that I dont have saved around here somewhere
>>7721105
I meant American Classics sorry. Also I didnt like Moby Dick when i read it, I remember struggling so I feel you.
>>
>>7719691
That's a dude
>>
>>7721167
Id be ok with that
>>
File: w.jpg (41 KB, 400x578) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
41 KB, 400x578
>>7721167
is it?
>>
File: 1454903477464.gif (2 MB, 400x232) Image search: [Google]
1454903477464.gif
2 MB, 400x232
>these hungry skeletons
>>
>>7721105
I was OK with Dickens
t. hispanoparlante
>>
>>7719779
A clockwork orange is kinda easy if you read the ebook, at the end it has a definition of all the slang so you can just search a word to get its meaning. I downloaded the free epub and found it easy even though English is my second language.
>>
File: image.jpg (416 KB, 747x1417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
416 KB, 747x1417
>>7719927 here
>>
Hemingway's short stories would probably be right up your alley. Orwell is good aswell, I always liked his essays more than his novels.
Also, consider investing in an ereader. It makes reading in English so much easier, since you can just tap on a word and get the definition
>>
I hot just what you need. Both fiction and non-fiction.

Camus - The Stranger
Hegel - The Phenomenology of the Spirit
Kant - Critique of Pure Reason
Virginia Woolf - The Waves
James Joyce - Finnegans Wake

Have fun reading!
>>
>>7719783
>Not Moby Dick
>NOT
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>7719691
Archive Fever
>>
>>7719691
House of leaves.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.