[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions about Hegel Ask away
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: greghegel.jpg (48 KB, 421x600) Image search: [Google]
greghegel.jpg
48 KB, 421x600
Questions about Hegel

Ask away
>>
what's his deal
>>
>>7717200
How dialectic is he?
Very.
Not very.
>>
>>7717203
He is a philosopher who says that consciousness is reality and that it progresses through history
>>
>>7717227
very, he though he was near the end game of consciousnesses dialectic

>>7717237
can you give me a page number. I need more context and the exact quote
>>
>>7717246
It was a joke.

Hegelian dialectic
Thesis
Anti-thesis

I tried to be clever. Sorry.
>>
I am struggling with the conception of Hegel I first read about in Kojeve, that for Hegel truth is literally time itself, the history of human time, or something to that effect. Hegel's position is essentially historical relativism but with the caveat that time/history has ended, therefore history (the truth) is something finite and knowable. Normal relativists can be ignored because their skeptical position is self-refuting, but Hegel's philosophy posits truth while at the same time being historical relativism for all practical purposes.

What I wonder is if Hegel's epistemology is the philosophical foundation for modern science, and is this why philosophy as a tradition and activity has faded into obscurity.
>>
Is it true that Hume could out-consume him?
>>
>>7718354
>the caveat that time/history has ended

I haven't read Kojeve but I'm 1000% sure Hegel never implied something of this sort. Time can't 'end' because time is the process and negation of the Notion as presented for sensuous intuition, a moment in time is posited as something existing in itself, but only to be negated (determined) by being reduced to a presupposition for a given activity, in which consciousness will externalize that which is presupposed (values, ideologies, &c).
>>
Give me one reason to read him
>>
>>7718424
No, you're old enough to decide by yourself.
>>
>>7717200
If I know the moderns up to Kant like the back of my hand then where should I start with Hegel?
>>
>>7718432
The Phenomenology, you shouldn't have that much trouble if you know your Kants and your Fichtes.
>>
>>7718424
or ill turn and walk away....
>>
Interesting links about Hegel:

For the discussion on Time above
http://mikejohnduff.blogspot.com.br/2007/05/hegel-and-time.html

On his (early) notion of infinitude and his development over other German philosophers
http://thecharnelhouse.org/2008/06/18/hegel-and-infinity/
>>
>>7718428
>>7718450
Thanks for the non-answers
>>
>>7718505
Now we're getting somewhere.
>>
>Questions about Hegel

I have one: how has such a enormous crypto-mystic and charlatan convinced so many allegedly intelligent people to spend valuable time reading his nonsensical babble about "le spirit" and "muh dialectics" and "DUDE EVERYTHING IS ACTUALLY ONE THING AND HISTORY IS THE PROCESS OF IT ALL COMING TOGETHER LMAO"?
>>
File: 1363998755206.jpg (93 KB, 240x289) Image search: [Google]
1363998755206.jpg
93 KB, 240x289
>>7718512
>>
File: Hegel.jpg (309 KB, 1584x1089) Image search: [Google]
Hegel.jpg
309 KB, 1584x1089
Was Hegel a Christian?
>>
>>7718521
You'll understand when you stop reducing every thing you don't like to crude terms so you can easily reject them, you filthy sophist.

>>7718541
Yes.
>>
>>7718546
>You'll understand when you stop reducing every thing you don't like to crude terms so you can easily reject them, you filthy sophist.

Explain Hegel's primary gist in the space of one full post, in simple language and without using memes and buzzwords like "spirit" and "dialectic".
>>
>>7717200
How much time and effort have you put into understanding him? Do you study philosophy at university?
>>
>>7718562
Do you know who even the sophists were and what they did? They took every principle, moral and law that was perceived by the polis as something sacred and fixed and treated dialectically: reducing such principles to a moment, as standing merely in relation with particular and personal beliefs so that different point of views can be extracted from the same object.

That's exactly what you did in your post above.
>>
>>7718589
>I can't explain Hegel in my own terms

This is all you had to say.
>>
>>7718599
It's not about MY terms, or about ME, it's about the matter in question. To study philosophy, first you need a kind self-oblivion, a total immersion in the ideas presented to you. I'll let the discussion finish here for now.
>>
File: Hegel glasses.jpg (16 KB, 265x319) Image search: [Google]
Hegel glasses.jpg
16 KB, 265x319
>>7718562
>memes and buzzwords like "spirit" and "dialectic"

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little intuitionist? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the seminary and I’ve been involved in numerous secret readings of Plato, and I have over 300 confirmed histories. I am trained in pure idealism and I’m the top dialectician in the entire Prussian reich. You are nothing to me but just another spirit, I will sublate you the fuck out with reason the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me in metaphor? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of historians across Prussia and your footnotes are being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that negates the pathetic little thing you call your self. You’re fucking history, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can sublate you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my first book. Not only am I extensively trained in undirected dialectics, but I have access to the entire corpus of western philosophy and I will use it to its full extent to show your miserable ass how unimportant you are, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” philosophy was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit reason all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking negated, kiddo.
>>
>>7718637
>I will shit reason all over you and you will drown in it.

Memed for keks.
>>
>>7717239
whose consciousness is reality? mine? and if so, then how does it progress through history after i die? is my body dying, but not my '''soul'''?
>>
>>7718660
Reason is reality, not consciousness.
>>
>>7718637
>You’re fucking history, kid

i like how this is from the original but has a new meaning when shitposted regarding Hegel
>>
>>7718664
>>"He is a philosopher who says that consciousness is reality and that it progresses through history"
Anyway, what do you mean by reason?
>>
>>7718669
The immanent, self-productive order of things, as when you say 'law of gravity', or the genus of a certain animal. It's something IN nature, but that nature cannot represent as such.
>>
>>7718676
Seems presumptuous to claim that is reality.
>>
>>7717200
If you understand Hegel, do you get magical powers y/n?
>>
>>7718692
It's not sensuous reality of course, but the principle of reality.

>>7718699
y
>>
>>7718569
Bumping for an answer to this OP
>>
>>7718769
>>7718569
I read some basic things I found on google and watched some youtube videos
>>
>>7718797
thanks for answering
>>
>>7718660
any consciousness. the body is just the vessel that consciousness uses for now.
>>
>>7718817
NO
>>
>>7718818
why not?
>>
>>7717200
What the fuck IS the middle ground between Being and Non Being?
>>
>>7718829
Every determined object.

>>7718824
This is not Buddhism.
>>
File: 1447638989371.png (202 KB, 391x497) Image search: [Google]
1447638989371.png
202 KB, 391x497
Published Terry Pinkard translation when
>>
>>7717200
why does he have a statue?
>>
>The owl of Minerva first begins her flight with the onset of dusk.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7721031
'Neither you nor the theoreticians of your society have a full conceptual grasp of what you lived through until the world you grew up in has changed so dramatically that the underlying assumptions of the time come into relief. As a product of an earlier time, you may not be fully in tune with what is going on now and cannot articulate its inner experience. This is what the generation coming up now will have to do when it gets an intellectual grasp on what it was like its inhabitants to live through this period.'
>>
>>7721131
I don't get it. What's that to do with Minerva's owl?
>>
>>7721249
Wisdom, knowledge, 'theoreticians', &c.
>>
>>7718637
Did Hegel diss intuitionism? I thought it wasn't even around in his time.
>>
>>7721297
Yes. I think mostly arguing against Kant.
>>
>>7718637
>>7718665

that exact effect of locating in a microscopic cultural expression the totality of which it is sign and symptom is one of the main thrusts of hegel's picture of history
>>
>>7718829
Becoming
>>
>>7718637
holy kek ahahahahahhahahaaaaah
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.