[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is Rowling the George Lucas of literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: rowling3.jpg (571 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
rowling3.jpg
571 KB, 2048x1536
is Rowling the George Lucas of literature?
>>
Meaning that she can do decent stuff with little ressources, but once you give her the big budget, she's a laughable cause?
>>
>>7715768
Better than decent, but yes.
>>
she doesn't write literature. She is just fun with imagination and you are probably lying if you say you didn't enjoy it as a kid. That isn't to say you wouldn't have had a better time with something with literary merit.
>>
>>7715784
Was fun, she took a creative nose dive a long time ago and now just sorta wanders around with everyone kissing her ass because she's a "legend".
>>
>>7715784
>literary merit
muh spooks
>>
>>7715756
Nom Gyögy Lukacs is the George Lukas of literature. He signed his German language works as Georg Lukas. This is as close as you can get.
>>
>>7715756

It's shiterature, not literature.
>>
>>7715794
I use "literary merit" to my advantage to find good reading. How is that an oppressive thought?
>>
>>7715756
>he fell for the George Lucas is a bad guy meme

George Lucas donated a large portion of his money to charity. It shows that he's not just in it for the money.

Also Rowling isn't as attached to Harry Potter as George was to Star Wars.
>>
>>7715828
No one here has said George is a bad guy.

But he certainly became a shit director once he found fame.
>>
No, because George Lucas actually created something good (the OT) while everything Rowling ever did was unadulterated shit.
>>
>>7715837
she has one BILLION, so clearly she has done something valued by many people.
>>
>>7715849

Yeah and many people are morons, unless you want to argue that Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber or any other 20-something pop star make good music because they sell a shitload of records.

sales=!quality
>>
>>7715832
he didnt even make the originals. people who knew what the fuck they were doing held his hand the whole way.
for some reason, people completely forgot that fact and let him have full reign over the prequels
>>
>>7715849
>Stephenie Meyer is a good writer
>>
>>7715756

No. Lucas' earlier works showed real cinematic talent. The first Star Wars, pulpy as it was, was also something original to Western audience.

Rowling is nothing but a maker of pastiches of already known stories.
>>
>>7715756
Lucas
>plagiarizes films
Rowling
>plagiarizes stories

yes. yes she is.
>>
>>7715856
>he didnt even make the originals. people who knew what the fuck they were doing held his hand the whole way.
this
>>
Lucas demonstrated actual talent in the 70s and probably would have made more of himself creatively had he not gotten so bogged down with Star Wars, Rowling would literally just be some random MILF working in an office had she not won the lottery with HP.
>>
Of course not. She hasn't redone her books, adding unnecessary shit, editing scenes in or bad CGI.
She hasn't write prequels either that shit on the entire franchise.

And not Hayden's ghost.

So no.
>>
File: no redones.png (266 KB, 715x637) Image search: [Google]
no redones.png
266 KB, 715x637
>>7716954
you naive anon
>>
File: the adult Hermione Granger.jpg (71 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
the adult Hermione Granger.jpg
71 KB, 1280x853
>>7718074
This is the actress by the way...
>>
>>7715756
Not a bad comparison.
>>
>>7715756
She's consistent with her quality and the stuff she's done now isn't worse than what she previously did. She's similar to Lucas, yes, but she hasn't yet become a total disaster and make something that her fans hate.
>>
No, George actually worked on several good movies.
>>
>>7718079
Rowling is starting to make a habit of supporting some progressive idea for the books without actually putting them in the books. There was that whole "Dumbledore is gay" thing, where she hadn't actually put it into the books. Straight-up pandering.
>>
>>7715784
sounds like Star Wars desu
>>
File: Ca3FES2W8AA22F-.png (760 KB, 600x603) Image search: [Google]
Ca3FES2W8AA22F-.png
760 KB, 600x603
>>7716954
Explain this.
>>
I read harry potter as a kid and loved it and cant see how someone can make fun of it while taking themselves seriously. Am I just being nostalgic or are you people just trying to make yourselves sound smarter? I mean it's not like it's easy to wrote thousands of pages that are fun to read and have a consistent logic.
>>
>>7716954
Give her time. I expect she'll revise the books at some point, making Hermione black, adding a catamite for Dumbledore, and maybe a trans character or two for good measure.
>>
>>7715756

Deathly Hallows had a disappointing ending, but it's still not as bad as the prequels. I haven't read Rowling's non-Potter books so I don't know if they're more equivalent to the Star Wars prequels or THX 1138.
>>
>>7715784

I read moby dick as a kid and thought it was bland compared to HP
>>
>>7718175
People getting so cross over children's books are pretty autismo
>>
>>7718179
Just wait for the reveal in the Cursed Child -- the curse is the dreaded cisgender.
>>
>>7718302
Moby Dick is not in any way a kid's book, so that is not surprising.
>>
>>7718074
not defending jkr but man this picture is retarded
it's clearly not a literal reference to her white skin tone but pallor from emotional stress in the context of the passage.

fuck, how stupid or stereotypically american would you have to be to misread this as white as in caucasian. even rowling doesn't randomly describe things ala 'the curtain was fucking blue', her problems are mainly huge reliance on cliches and generic storylines
>>
Both have a connection to plebs and normals, but not really

Rowling took a ridiculous number of stolen plots and mashed them into one blockbuster piece of plagiarism that was backed by strong advertising and good timing, Lucas was just insane.
>>
>>7718161

It's just the script for some theater play bullshit that is being shrewdly marketed as "the eighth book in the series" even though it really isn't.
>>
I want to rub my cock on her tits and face.
>>
>>7715828
"xd donating money makes you a good person LOL"
>>
>>7718175
Nostalgia is one hell of a drug. Even as a brat I found the series lacking.
>>
>>7720116
This
>>
>>7720040

Because you can see how a black girl or a hydrid can be pale cause of anxiety ?
>>
>>7715784
She stole the concept from Anthony Horowitz. She has no imagination. She's shit.
>>
How can you deal with a girlfriend that seems obsessed with Harry Potter?

It was cute at first and I'd read the books when I was younger and thought they were alright, but she seems to have literal ADD when it comes to reading anything other than YA and Harry Potter.

I'm sick of trying to get her to read more proper stuff and always get the "it's SUBJECTIVE, plus it's not like I learn anything with Thucydides or Borges that I couldn't just wikipedia for!!!".

It's incredibly frustrating that I can't share this big part of my life because of it.
>>
>>7722238
>it's not like I learn anything with Thucydides or Borges that I couldn't just wikipedia for!!!
lol rip

time to trade-in
>>
>>7722253
>post on /adv/ asking for advice on it
>literally all the replies are calling me pretentious and how it IS subjective

Jesus fuck.
>>
>>7715784
>She is just fun with imagination and you are probably lying if you say you didn't enjoy it as a kid.

>An amalgam of fantasy cliches dumbed down for children.
>imaginative
>>
>>7715756
I think she's a milf I'd bang...
>>
>>7722777
Trips for how many times this image has made me jerk off today.
>>
Is x the y of z?
>>
>>7722777
Any more of this fine piece of ass?
>>
>>7722777
Imagine the paizuri.
>>
>>7722777
/\___/\
/ / ヽ ::: \
| (●), 、(●)、 |
| ,,ノ(、_, )ヽ、,, |
| ,;‐=‐ヽ .:::::|
\ `ニニ´ .:::/ NO THANK YOU
/`ー‐--‐‐―´´\
.n:n nn
nf||| | | |^!n
f|.| | ∩ ∩|..| |.|
|: :: ! } {! ::: :|
ヽ ,イ ヽ :イ
>>
File: 1437971954041.jpg (41 KB, 400x367) Image search: [Google]
1437971954041.jpg
41 KB, 400x367
>>7718074
It's not like she had a choice. She'd be burned at the fucking stake if she said otherwise.
>>
You can't just a scot as far as you can throw them. As an Englishman all I can say is "Curse you J. K, you've contributed to the cause of 'reading', helping to turn "the mob" into something with a voice."

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
>>
>>7723494
Have you ever left Kent?
>>
>>7715756
I guess. I've never seen or heard of an author constantly revise stuff they've already written and published. It makes me wonder if she's going to release special editions of the Harry Potter books in which she takes characters and makes them black or gay for no reason at all.

Maybe she'll get back at Bloom and remove every instance of characters stretching their legs.
>>
>>7723528
It isn't like she revised stuff she previously written, she literally couldn't stop from writing fanfiction, she kept going on about what each and every random character did after graduating.
>>
>>7723535
Revise was the wrong word to use. What I meant is that I've never seen an author make public statements clarifying the race or sex of their characters. Maybe it's something that happens often and I've never noticed it.
>>
>>7723546
>Meanwhile in Sci-fi/Fantasy if your main character isn't a transexual otherkin and at least half your cast are black you don't get published
>>
>>7723515
>London
>English

Pick one
>>
>>7718131
>>7718079
>>7718074
I have lost all respect for this women. I loved Harry Potter when I was a kid, I went to the midnight launches for book 6 and 7. I was so excited that I read it for 10 hours straight before passing out.
It saddens to see her catering to the modern left. I hate the way things are going and I feel like it's only going to get worse.
>>
>>7723546
No anon, that's just her being a shit author who just can't bit her tongue. Most of authors just won't milk the cashcow like autists ten years later after they books were finished. The ones who do this are usually just greedy bastards who hold no respect for their very own works.

>>7723743
She was terrible and a hypocrite already back then. She's just going back to her old ways now that she sees a chance for more profit. Get your nostalgia googles off.

>>7720116
This. Fucking this. How comes people is so uncultured they can recognize a plagiarism?
>>
>>7715756

Yes. I loved her work and thought it ended well... but then she just wouldn't let it die. They made 2 good films, then 6 awful ones. Now they're making more books, a stage show, some prequel films. The whole thing is becoming just another Lucas "I can't let this go" downfall.
>>
>>7715756

Isn't Christopher Paolini the George Lucas of literature, considering he actually ripped off Star Wars for his books. Also, what the fuck was with his ending? It's like he didn't know what he was doing.
>>
>>7723743
Harry Potter always had a a lot of hypocritical bullshit even back then, it's just that now people are more aware of her being a hypocrite, because now people can keep track of it. Harry Potter getting as big did was in large part due to it's timing.
>>
>>7715756
>>7723743
I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>7726136

>I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

>the greatest book critic in the world has to go and BUY a book, in the very place he works at

turbocapitalism is funny that way.
>>
>>7715756
Half the time I think that she wants to rewrite the series, because she herself wants to write more for the series or realizes that she has new ideas that she finds to be better than her previous ones, and/or realizes that she realizes in hindsight some of her ideas didn't work, but can't outright continue or change the series because how it was written, how she ended it, and the because the series is way too popular. This also prevents her from making even more money off of it.

Even worse she only has herself to blame.
>>
>>7726136

>The writing was dreadful

Compared to the greats, probably. But I've often found that people don't appreciate the average writer once they've flooded themselves with what everyone considers to be pinnacles of literature. After all, not everyone is into that sort of stuff. Some of it just isn't captivating, it's just written to such a degree that the structure is what people are looking at as opposed to the actual theme.

Think of it like food: a steak house does some delicious steak, but it's hardly going to win any posh awards compared to the tiny slice of beef folded delicately in the middle of an over-sized plate, drizzled with a tiny bit of sauce and some fancy garnish. Most people just want the meal without the fuss.
>>
>>7726263

But don't we all get that? I know when I set something in stone, it isn't long afterwards that I'm then thinking of things I could've done better. It's especially prominent with work that shares the same universe, where you lay down the rules of it in one book but find it would work better differently in another.
>>
>>7726612
That's true for most writers and with Rowling the feeling might be bigger since she limited the actual scope of the series due to her own stubbornness and just didn't want to think of anything outside of that scope. Rowling essentially limited herself in the types of media she can create for the series, and prevents her from making another main line entry.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.