[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To start with Dovsto, shoud i read first Memes From The Underground
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Crimeandpunishmentcover.png (435 KB, 417x640) Image search: [Google]
Crimeandpunishmentcover.png
435 KB, 417x640
To start with Dovsto, shoud i read first Memes From The Underground or Crime and Punishmement?
>>
Crime and punishment of course.
Don't start notes from the underground if you don't want to get depressed
>>
they're two separate books. it doesn't matter.
>>
>>7715675
>Memes
Stop before you start.
>>
>>7715675
You should start with the Бeдныe люди (Poor Folk) since it was written before he was stripped of his noble title, mock-executed and exiled in 1848 (which turned him into an epileptic and a conservative) and this is also when he was discovered by the Russian critics of the notorious Teleskop magazine as "the new Gogol". You could also try the short prose of his early period.
>>
>>7715752

Poor Folk isn't that good, definitely not essential; the same is true of most of his early short prose. The essential pre-arrest Dostoyevsky is The Double. It's short and would make an excellent intro to the author. Other good medium-length works, both rather personal to Dostoyevsky too, are The Gambler and Notes from the House of the Dead. Good early short stories are 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding' and 'White Nights'; from later, 'The Crocodile', 'Bobok', A Nasty Incident', 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree', 'A Gentle Spirit', and (the last and best of all) 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'.
>>
Notes is shorter and was written before so its a good intro
>>
My oh my. And I thought my home board, /mu/ was full of people with their heads up their asses: this place takes the fucking cake. I'm going to assume the role of an older person, probably mid-40s, at the parental point in their life: you should all be ashamed of yourselves for discouraging intellectual curiosity in the bright, inquiring minds of those younger than you -- those who possess the most curiosity about the world out of all the ages. I can't believe how pretentious and up your own asses you lot are. Telling the younger generation they could never read this or that, assuming they're too immature and naive to understand ENGLISH words written by ENGLISH authors, diverting them from what they want to do out of the assumption that their mind can't comprehend certain meaning. The absolute fucking temerity (that's To Kill a Mockingbird for you, which I understand quite well thank you very much). I thought this, of all places, would be the place for acceptance, tolerance, and an openness to curiosity and inquiry. I guessed wrong. I guess I'm only a stupid fucking kid who listens to meme music and who will never rise to the heights of your self-absorbed, vapid drollery. Fucking snobs. Fucking English majors. This might've even dissuaded me from going into English in college, my favorite subject. You're the reason why I hate fucking English now. I can write brilliant analytical essays, but after writing so many of them, I realized how pretentious, formulaic, and droll they really were: just like your respective attitudes. So you know what, I'm done with the conformity and the fucking listening to what pseudo-intellectuals have to say: I'm going to read Crime and Punishment on my free time (fuck the assigned books I have for English) and do whatever the hell I want. And you're not going to fucking stop me.
>>
>>7715841
Is this a response to the board as a whole, or to this thread in particular? It definitely applies to the board, to a degree. Also C&P is definitely the better of the two the thread is about.
>>
>>7715786
This goy knows
>>
Jesus christ, why do you feel the need to trivialize a novel's name by adding "meme" to it? Just to fit in by using some retarded internet lingo?
>>
My God! Just read one of them. Fuck, notes will take you a mere evening or two. Why the fuck do you need our opinion. Read more, post less.

Side note: Don't ask about things you can easily get by reading the actual book.
>>
>>7715675
C&P
>>
>>7716293
/thread

why do people respond seriously to these stupid threads
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.