[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me understand what the fuck I just read. General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 81a3oM3EcfL[1].jpg (452 KB, 1871x2560) Image search: [Google]
81a3oM3EcfL[1].jpg
452 KB, 1871x2560
Please help me understand what the fuck I just read.
General Infinite Jest discussion thread.

I just finished the book literally 2 minutes ago and the point, implying there is one, was not so much lost on me but was so poorly demonstrated in the book I was lost that there was one.
>>
There is no point lol.
You got memed fucker!
>>
at least it's better than pynchon
>>
>>7714304
Reread the first chapter (Year of Glad).
>>
>>7714315
I would argue -OP here- there is a point but I want to discuss it with other people.
Basically from what I got from the book it's a reflection of the pursuant of happiness in two extremes. In one extrema is the pursuers of happiness through brutal success and the other through depravity and the easy way out. Both ends seem to have no successful outcome and the most successful individual John Wayne is perceived as an enigmatic robot.
It seems DFW was saying the pursuit of happiness in either extreme is pointless, and if pure happiness existed people would devote themselves to that instead.
>>
Find the exact center page of the novel numerically (excluding endnotes).

Reread that chapter. It explains the entire book.
>>
>>7714321
currently doing that and hoping that helps.
>>
>>7714321
>>7714343
I'm reading pages 1-10, is that sufficient?
>>
>>7714362
Memed again.
>>
>>7714317
underrated b8
>>
>>7714304
So I just googled a guide. What the fuck DFW, what the fuck
>>
>>7714419
I don't know what you're in an uproar about, but I also don't know why you'd take the interpretations made in a guide seriously.
>>
>>7714425
Because, their explanations actually make a lot of sense.
>>
>>7714362
you'll know it when you get to it
>>
>>7714304
It's an 1100 page book about nothing desu
Hope you enjoyed it.
>>
the jest is the book actually
and its infinite cause people will be talking about this piece of shit until the end of times
>>
The book is about the American condition, death/inifnity, and communication. At least that is what I got out of it. Mostly communication though and the law of the father and sensuality of the mother. Something like that Im not too smart
>>
File: image.png (482 KB, 955x673) Image search: [Google]
image.png
482 KB, 955x673
>>7714304
>Reading IJ
The only actually good stuff Dave's written is just short stories and essays.
You shouldn't have fallen for the Green meme.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.