[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the last book you read? What are you reading now? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: 66358-004-D159F524.jpg (13 KB, 330x450) Image search: [Google]
66358-004-D159F524.jpg
13 KB, 330x450
What was the last book you read?
What are you reading now?
What will you read then?
Judge others or give em recs.
>>
>What was the last book you read?
Apology by Plato
What are you reading now?
The Odyssey and El Libro De Arena by Borges
What will you read then?
Maybe a greek comedy and The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor
>>
>>7713138
>last
The Lime Twig. I really enjoyed it, though I struggled to understand some of Hawkes' ideas.
>Now
Mason & Dixon. Probably the comfiest thing I've read in a long time.
>Next
Larva: a Midsummer Night's Babel.
>>
>>7713138
Just finished To The Lighthouse
Starting One Hundred Years Of Solitude
Next will either be finally getting around to Ulysses or The Idiot.
>>
>>7713138
Just finished Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog and Shakespeare's RIchard II

Working on Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and McCarthy's Blood Meridian

Up next is Shakespeare's Henry IV Parts 1 and 2. Also looking at The Illiad and/or Paradise Lost.

>>7713217
How was To The Lighthouse? I have it sitting on my shelf. I've never read any Woolf.
>>
>>7713151
Check out Timaeus.
>>7713350
If you haven't already, look into Antony and Cleopatra.
>>
>last
Hemingway's, Men without Women. Simple enjoyable short stories, nothing special.
>Now
J.M. Coetzee, Disgrace. SEX
>Next
No fucking clue.
>>
>last read a farewell to arms
>currently reading things fall apart so I have something to read until I receive my copy of butcher's crossing from Amazon
>I will next read butcher's crossing
>>
>>7713350
To the Lighthouse was fantastic, one of my favorite books of all time; I'm about to buy another book by Woolf because of it.
>>
Last read: Turgenev's The Torrents of Spring
Reading now: Re-reading Crime and Punishment
Next: I might re-read The Idiot and then The Brothers K., or I might read some more Turgenev stuff or try Great Expectations as my first Dickens novel, not sure yet.

>>7713217

The Idiot is such a beautiful book, I'd suggest you read that, especially since it's most likely easier than Ulysses (not to mention shorter).

>>7713350
>Working on Tolstoy's Anna Karenina

How are you liking it? I read it last month and thought it was good though it wasn't really to my taste. The prose is almost flawless and the scenes in the country with Levin really made the book for me.
>>
last:
The Fall by Camus, really enjoyed it a lot
Now:
Either/Or-Kierkegaard
Next:
Probably gonna read existentialism as a humanism by sartre at the same time as either/or and then the unbearable lightness of being by kundera

>>7713385
Disgrace is phenomenal, life and times of michael K is good too, but I think disgrace is much better.
>>
> Last book
modern romance by Aziz Ansari; don't fucking read that piece of garbage...
> Current Book
DFW Both Flesh and Not + 2666 (jesus christ I'm faggot)
> Next Book
The Transylvanian Trilogy by Miklós Bánfy. Really looking forward to this, I've been big on American post modern stuff, but it really burned me out so being able to read some cool linear and historical European lit with a fairly discernible plot will be a nice change of pace.
>>
Asoiaf feast for crows
Dance of dragons and vanishing kingdoms
I haven't decided yet :/ ideas?
>>
File: emperor of ocean.jpg (26 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
emperor of ocean.jpg
26 KB, 226x346
>>7713138
I read this while I was in jail, it seemed like a cool murder mystery, it was fucking garbage.

The emperor of ocean park has some of the best examples of the author just stroking his dick over how many details he knows and can list about political figures that don't matter in the story, and usually are never mentioned again. He's a political professor or something, I didn't know that when I checked it out.
The story isn't anything special, and the ending is unsatisfying and garbage.

If I could've gotten another trip to the jail library I'd have exchanged it, but I only got to go once in my 10 day stay. 800 pages of wasted time, but it was better than jailhouse graffiti I guess.
>>
>>7713403
Yeah, I agree that the Levin scenes are the best. I certainly wasn't expecting this. I was a bit worried that it would be a dull romance story, but the scenes regarding Levin's farm life are truly beautiful. The bit about him working with the peasants in the field was so far the best part of the novel to me.

The prose is really great, but there are some very odd, vague insertions that he makes that kinda take me out of it. Perhaps every 50 pages or so, a character will mention something in very vague terms that don't really add anything, but are clearly meant to flesh out the world and make it seems larger than the book.

For example, in one scene, Karenin starts talking about 'that statute' that was so important to him. We never learn what this statute was about, but it was a subject of discussion between him and Karenina for a few paragraphs. It just felt cheap and meaningless.

Then there are other parts where it feels like he's holding your hand.

"'I have driven away the Demon.' The demon was what they called her jealousy."

It was perfectly clear to me what she had meant, given the context of their conversation, but this odd insertion just takes me out of it, considering that the word was never used before and hasn't been used since.

Anywho, this makes it seem like I am a lot more critical than I am. I really do enjoy it.

I read The Death of Ivan Ilych earlier this year, and enjoyed that, but I like this a lot more. TDOII is nice because you can read it in a day, though, so you might want to check it out.
>>
The Voyage Out.
Writing style was nice, but the plot didn't interest me that much.

>What are you reading now?
I'll be starting A Wild Sheep Chase tonight.

>What will you read then?
Probably The Well Of Loneliness with some Leaves Of Grass sprinkled within.
>>
>>7713426
I really liked The Fall. In some ways it's better than The Stranger, but the thing that failed for me was that while Camus seemed to be trying to indict us all, I don't see myself in most of it. I see plenty of other people in it (I'm working on physics grad school and good christ, it's narcissists galore here).

Existentialism is a Humanism is one of my all time favorites. I've read two different translations. It's clear, concise, and perfect. 5/5.
>>
Last
V by Pinecone
Current
A Brief History of 7 Killings
Next
The Cannibal by Hawkes
>>
>>7713138
Gray by Pete Wentz
Finding Fish by Fisher
Lolita by Nabokov
>>
>>7713913

Ivan Ilyich is definitely a nice little story and one of the few things besides Anna that I've read, but I will probably read War and Peace in the coming months.

>Then there are other parts where it feels like he's holding your hand.

I felt this at some points too, it almost feels insulting. There's some metaphor used at some point about a bridge and falling into an abyss (or something along those lines) and while I completely understood it, he went on to explain exactly what he meant. It feels very belittling and I think is the only real stain on the work.
>>
The Art of Racing In The Rain
House of Leaves/Ishmael (multitasking here)
To The Lighthouse most likely
>>
>>7713955
Did u like the "V"? Planning on reading it.
>>
>>7714522
I probably need to re read it. I am a bit puzzled by it and by the time I reached the end, I had already forgotten some of what had happened very early in the novel. Some of it was fun, some of it was harrowing. One chapter in particular shook me up quite a bit. Not an easy read but it can be very rewarding.
>>
File: 1411452536778.png (146 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
1411452536778.png
146 KB, 480x352
>>7713138
Finished Anna Karenina about a week ago
Finished Stoner today

Both fantastic, I can't properly express how deeply they both affected me. They both accomplished the realist project so perfectly, it felt like life put to pen. Highly recommended.

Ongoing reading of The Critique of Pure Reason and the collected plays of Shakespeare for Uni

Starting 100 Years of Solitude tomorrow

Also working my way through a few short stories collections:
1001 Nights
Borges' Collected Fictions
Barthelme's Sixty Stories

I'll finally get around to Don Quixote after 100 Years of Solitude, found a really nice Harvard leatherbound copy a few weeks ago.

Short story wise I have some Gogol and Hemingway waiting in the wings

After I finish my Kant course I can finally start my autodidactic study of Hegel (my uni doesn't offer any specialized courses and I've been interested in him for a while)

>>7714482
To The Lighthouse is fantastic, look forward to a very rewarding read

>>7713426
Any insights on Kierkegaard you feel like sharing? He's one of my favourite philosophers to discuss because he lends himself so well to individual interpretations of his own works and Christianity as a whole.

>>7713385
Did a whole course on Coetzee last semester, Disgrace was my favourite of his (there are certain scenes, not to spoil anything, where I was physically shaking with rage) and, to jack myself off a bit, I wrote one of my better essays on it.

>>7713350
>Three fantastic Shakespeare
>Anna Karenina
>Blood Meridian
>The Illiad

Enjoy some of the best reading you'll ever do anon. This is the good stuff.
>>
>>7714632
Yeah, it all started with Henry V. I really love the St. Crispin's Day Speech, but had never read the play. Wikipedia informed me that it was part of a tetrology, and so I picked them all up. Haven't read a Shakespeare in probably a decade, even though Macbeth and Hamlet are 2 of my 5 star books.

Anywho, Richard II was amazing. It's my third favorite Shakespeare after the two aforementioned (then again, I've only read a few past the high school canon). Like I really fucking loved it.

'The more fair and crystal is the sky,
the uglier seem the clouds that fly.'
>>
Last: The Virgins by Pamela Erens
Current: Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout
Next: the Virgin Suicides by Jeff Something
>>
>>7713138
>last
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
>now
If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino
>then
Mr. Palomar by Italo Calvino/The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pinecone

Im introducing myself to Calvino, if there's anything from him I should read, go ahead and tell
>>
>>7714632
Absolutely, its a big reason I like kierkegaard so much as well. I tend to agree more with people such as camus, nietzsche etc. I interpret his work relating to christianity as a reflection of his desperation and depression as a man going through a lifelong existential crisis. I actually find his "leap of faith" to be the best argument for christianity, even if it falls under Camus' criteria for philosophical suicide. Wanting to be satisfied by a god makes sense to me.

Plus I love the writings between a and b. A's prose is so beautifully composed, and Judge Vildhem/william is so beautifully juxtaposed.

>>7713936
Agreed with the whole indictment, but I think the fundamental idea of the judge-penitent role to be a really great idea.
>>
>>7713138
last
>Moby Dick

now
>Absalom, Absalom!

next
>probably V. but I don't know yet
>>
>Last book
Sailor on the Sea of Fate: Elric Saga by Michael Moor(lol)cock.
>Currently reading
Plato Republic
>Future reading
Hopefully something in the world of Malaz, but more likely a dry Psychology book on bio-psychology.
>>
>>7713472
Malazan book of the fallen if you want something that's more than HBO hype.
>>
File: 1439835090705.png (141 KB, 640x473) Image search: [Google]
1439835090705.png
141 KB, 640x473
>>7713138
Last book I read was the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft, finished by rereading Through the Gates of the Silver Key

I'm about to start a 4 volume set on Comprehensive Membrane Science and Engineering or Introduction to Biomechatronics (Materials, Circuits and Devices) 1st Edition
Probably the latter

Honestly, anything similar to something you'd hear Kevin Warwick talk about is what I'm looking for now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8HeFNJjuj0
>>
File: 1437371626703.jpg (18 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1437371626703.jpg
18 KB, 313x286
>>7715292
>>
>last book I read
True Hallucinations by Terence McKenna
>what am I reading now?
The Familiar Vol. 1: One Rainy Day In May by Mark Z. Danielewiski
also rereading The Lord of the Rings again, currently a little past the quarter way mark in Fellowship
>what am I going to read next?
Probably The Familiar Vol. 2 since I'm about halfway done Vol. 1 and I just picked up Vol. 2 tonight.

I haven't been doing a whole lot of reading lately, though, unfortunately.
>>
File: White,_Brown,_Red_&_Wild_rice.jpg (98 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
White,_Brown,_Red_&_Wild_rice.jpg
98 KB, 640x480
>Last
Chess story by Stefan Zweig
>now
The frontier garrison by Jenő Rejtő
>will
I have no idea.
Maybe 1984 or I will try getting Brave New World from the library
>>
>last
Siddhartha
>currently
Moby Dick
>will
Going to start with the greeks.
>>
American Psycho

Catch-22

Crime and Punishment or War and Peace
>>
>Last
The Sun Also Rises

>Now
Hunger, Knut Hamsun (fucking great t b h)

>Next
Eh, a toss-up between the Pale King and Death With Interruptions.
>>
>last
Stoner

>now
The Secret Garden

>next
No clue yet
>>
>>7715707
Also reading Hunger (great so far). Last was TBK, next will be Cabeza de Vaca's "Shipwrecks"
>>
>>7713138

>last book
After Dark - Murakami
>Reading now
Dancing in the Dark - Knausgaard
>Next
Granta book of The American Short Story - various
The Bell - Iris Murdoch
>>
>>7713138
>>What was the last book you read?
The Strangler, Camus

Hungry, Hamsun

Dolores, Nabokov

Yes, I'm slowly swimming up Litstarterkit river.
>>
Return of the King
Moby-Dick
Lord of the Flies or The Master and Margarita
>>
>>7713151
>Reading two books at the same time
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.