[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right? Is the King James Bible the only mainstream translation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Robert_Alter_400x400.jpg (150 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Alter_400x400.jpg
150 KB, 400x400
Is he right? Is the King James Bible the only mainstream translation that isn't awful? Reading his introduction to his Genesis translation, he certainly makes a strong case for it, critiquing both Christian and Jewish translations. He makes out that Biblical prose style (Biblical verse style is quite different) is similar to Cormac McCarthy's prose, and the King James is definitely the closest to that. He also says the King James is much, much more uniform in translation for things like "seed", which is vital to seeing symmetry and allusion in the Bible.

He says the King James also has a lot of errors and a lesser understanding of Hebrew than modern Jewish and Christian translators, but he says it is better because the translators didn't try to "translate context" as much into it, and more importantly because he says they had a better grasp of English.

Here is Alter's compared to the King James

>and she came down to the spring and filled her jug and came back up. And the servant ran toward her and said, "Pray, let me sip a bit of water from your jug." And she said, "Drink, my lord," and she hurried and tipped down her jug on one hand and let him drink. And she let him drink his fill and said, "For your camels, too, I shall draw water until they drink their fill." And she hurried and emptied her jug into the trough, and she ran again to the well to draw water and drew water for all his camels.

This is the same passage from the King James

>and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up. And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher. And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink. And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking. And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.
>>
It's the bible, who cares?
>>
Yes, I agree with him. KJV is miles ahead despite its age - which, in itself, is probably a benefit rather than a negative. People recommend the ESV or even the NIV - nonsense. It distorts the Word beyond belief. It adopts all the gender neutral crap to satisfy those who will never read the Bible, and as that comparison shows, is far uglier and literal - not what the Bible is.

Though whether we can really know if it is a very good translation is beyond most apart from academics who dedicate all their time to it.

>>7713764
Typical redditor. This is the foundation of Western literature. Christian or not, you ought to appreciate it. If not, get off this board.
>>
>>7713796
The King James Version was written for the common people of the time. The translators only used a limited vocabulary so it would be understood. It isn't the most technically accurate text, but it is the best sounding.
>>
>>7712898
>Reading his introduction to his Genesis translation, he certainly makes a strong case for it, critiquing both Christian and Jewish translations.
There's no "strong" argument for critiquing both translations at once because the Old Testament is interpreted in two completely different ways by Christians and Jews.

The two religions have completely separate theological traditions that basically completely contradict each other. A Christian interpretation of Genesis, for example, is completely different from the Jewish one on a fundamental level.
>>
>>7712898
The King James translation gives me the shits. It was deliberately written in English that was outdated for the time to lend it a sense of authority. I much prefer less pretentious translations.
>>
>>7712898
>translations

Read it in the original Hebrew or dont bother.
>>
>>7714113
I think you're confusing 'outdated' with 'formal'.

Would you prefer vulgar English from the time? How about a few piss stains too?
>>
>>7714113
You just skimmed the wikipedia article on criticisms didn't you.
>>
>>7714059
Not necessarily quite true. The KJV was already, uh, a bit "antiquated" in its language at the time it was done. It was *by intention* made to sound older.
>>
>>7712898
God promised he would preserve his word. KJV was the only Bible widely available for several centuries. Thus, KJV is most likely to be the most accurate translation.
>>7714126
Current 'original' hebrew bibles are just corruptions.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.