[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it acceptable to listen to music while reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
Is it acceptable to listen to music while reading?
>>
>>7712806
Why wouldn't it be? Reading to music is a good way to keep from being distracted. Especially when everyone in your house like to talk obnoxiously loud.
>>
>>7712806
sweet taste breh

I don't usually listen to music when I read unless it's an album that kinda fits the mood of what I'm reading. like for example I listened to either/or by elliott smith when I read the catcher in the rye and it kinda helped me get into the world of the novel
>>
>>7712806
I listen to a continuous loop of city rain.
>>
>>7712846
I need instrumental music. Classical that's not too loud like Fauré or maybe some jazz like Bill Evans.
>>
I really only listen to instumental. Call me retarded but any "artificial" voice that comes through a speaker is distracting. White crowd noise doesn't bother me too much t b h
>>
>>7712806
Depends what you are reading, really. If you are tackling an author with confusing prose--"postmodernists" like McElroy, Gass, Gaddis, Pynchon; and, as if wasn't implied, stream-of-consciousness-heavy authors like Joyce, Faulkner, and Lowry--it can impossible--at the very least, difficult--to understand what's happening. But that's just me.
>>
>>7712879
You're a terrible writer.
>>
File: rqtgt.jpg (63 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
rqtgt.jpg
63 KB, 500x498
There's music, and then there's reading music
>>
>>7712879
Why the fuck are you typing like that
This isn't /lit/: the novel
>>
File: gaddis_1.jpg (3 KB, 80x84) Image search: [Google]
gaddis_1.jpg
3 KB, 80x84
>>7712889
That's how I think--by extension, how I exist--stylishly.
>>
>>7712906
>That's how I think--by extension, how I exist--stylishly.
>being this pretentious
>uses a macro of Gaddis
Kill yourself
>>
only noise and drone sometimes ambient where the music doesn't so immediately impose an emotional response. silence is ideal though, but even then Cagean aesthetics betray me (so environment nonetheless affects the phenomenology of a text)
>>
Only if it's this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpXpgjUT2k
>>
>>7712931
>implying I haven't already
>implying I'm not a spooky ghost
I'm going to haunt you so hard.
>>
No. I can't focus on anything when music is playing because I always focus on the music.

This is why ambient is the one genre that doesn't agree with me.
>>
>>7712879
>Forced writting to make a shitpost.

Congratulations!
>>
>>7714058
yes, music is the most important thing.
>>
i always put on post rock such as DMST and Godspeed whenever i read
>>
>>7712869
>Fauré
>>
Light jazz beats, classical or post rock depending on the mood of what I'm reading. A consensus most of us have reached I guess
>>
File: 1448596586224.png (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448596586224.png
18 KB, 500x500
>>7712806
What's the name of the one in the lower left?
>>
only if its classical. rock music is cancer and /mu/ has a juvenile taste
>>
>>7712879
c l a s s i c post
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.