[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /lit/, Since I'm not a native speaker, I'd like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 84737.jpg (18 KB, 254x400) Image search: [Google]
84737.jpg
18 KB, 254x400
Dear /lit/,
Since I'm not a native speaker, I'd like to improve my English. Have you got any suggestion of books to read? Nothing too hard, but at the same time nothing too easy/childish.

Thank you.

pic kinda related since I'm Italian
>>
>>7712368
Gibbon and Hume. Hemingway if you want "plain" American, Thomas Hardy if British.
>>
>>7712401
Not considering Hemingway, wouldn't they be too much archaic?

By Hemigway I've only read The old man and the sea, is there anything in particular I should start with?
>>
>>7712423
No, their English is probably the most beautiful high English I have ever read.

Churchill's History of the English Speaking People is another good one.

For Whom the Bell Tolls is my favorite Hemingway.
>>
>>7712467
Well thank you then!
>>
>>7712368
Great book - thoroughly enjoyed. Cannot separate Trieste from Svevo now.

>English living down the road in Venezia.
>>
>>7712368
>>7713694
My brother gave it to me as a present last year, still haven't read it though.
>>7712368
I'm Italian as well, I think you're better off starting with short stories. Or maybe something contemporary.
>>
>>7712368

Finnegan's Wake.
>>
>>7712423
>By Hemigway I've only read The old man and the sea, is there anything in particular I should start with?
If you've read The Old Man and the Sea, you've read everything worth reading from Hemingway.
>>
>>7712401
>Hume
Man did you even read the OP? Hume is difficult even for native speakers
Just look at the original reviews of A Treatise on Human Nature
>>
>>7712368
start with the Greeks
>>
>>7712368
Maybe some Stephen King?

And I have the same question for you. Could you recommend some Italian books that are not too easy, not too hard, and not drivel.
>>
>>7714560
>And I have the same question for you. Could you recommend some Italian books that are not too easy, not too hard, and not drivel.
I tend to avoid Italian books, that said I can tell you to stay AWAY from classics (I'd say before 1910), because their prose is quite hard, or strange in the sense that it's completely different from how we talk.
I know Umberto Eco is enjoyed by foreigns, but I wouldn't know about his prose.

>Maybe some Stephen King?
I'll give it a try, hopefully It won't bore me

>>7713833
>>7714526
le memes am i cool yet

>>7713821
>I'm Italian as well, I think you're better off starting with short stories. Or maybe something contemporary.
Thing is, I don't really know where to start, since there are so many books
>>
>>7714159
Not OP but I didn't even like it, if that's everything worth reading by Hem then I'm disappointed.
Maybe I should reread it since I read it years ago, in another life.
>>7714560
I've just read Una Storia Semplice (A Smple Story) by Sciascia, it's very short, very good and recent, was written in 1989. Go for it.
>>7715200
I've read Bartleby by Melville in Italian, try reading it English. I don't know man, try some of the most well-received contemporary writers like McCarthy or genre writers, maybe? Use a chart for reference. Genre writers are your best bet, I guess.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.