[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What you reading, Anon? >What's it about? Is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1369840073497.gif (609 KB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
1369840073497.gif
609 KB, 299x299
>What you reading, Anon?
>What's it about?

Is there any way to answer this question without either saying essentially nothing, or the book sound retarded as fuck? I don't think I've ever managed it.
>>
>finally decide to read gravitys rainbow
>takes me close to three months of focused, diligent reading
>end up lugging that doorstopper around everywhere with me
>often get asked what its about
>frank miller edition, doesnt even have a summary on the back i can defer to
>make an idiot of myself, talking in circles about rockets, sex with strangers, pavlov, bananas
>"oh haha okay"
>eventually just say give up and say ww2, to the same effect
>at least it saves more time for me to devote to reading this fucking book
>>
See, most people only understand a plot which is easily summarized or defined by its genre.
>>
"its about teenage vampires in love at an academy for wizards who are forced to fight to the death for their districts"
"really that sounds awesome"
"yeah it is"
>>
>>7711305
>being too dumb to give an adequate simple explanation
>>
Stop reading shit.
>>
>reading in public
>>
>>7711975
dude I love My Immortal
>>
File: 1450052612228.gif (14 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1450052612228.gif
14 KB, 633x758
>Someone asks me what American Pyscho is about
>Do my best to try to avoid the question since my power level as creep is high enough allready
>>
>Well, it's sort of a police investigation story but there isn't a crime, just a weird plaque with names that peaks the curiosity of the narrator's friend and eahc name strangely relates to the next one in a not logical way. Every now and then the narrator talks about astronomy.

That was pretty hard to do and I didn't actually say anything.
>>
>>7711305
Just state the premise and don't get lost in modes, themes or characters. Examples:

Harry Potter: A boy discovers he has magical powers and goes to magic boarding-school

Ulysses: Following a man through a regular day in Ireland

Lord of the Rings: In a fictional fantasy-world, a ring needs to be destroyed to stop the evil lord.
>>
That was fucking impressive
>>
>>7712562
easier said than done i think, esp when you are in process of reading said book when someone askn you what youre reading
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1hWTCvNNLdw
>>
>>7714147
lmao that defer
>>
>>7714147
Why?
>>
>>7711330
"It's a surrealist war satire. Insightful as it is funny, maybe a little bleak but there's a real humanistic core."

or for extra sperg mode

"A war satire."
>>
>>7715405
If I talked like this where I lived my mates would beat the literal shit out of me. No joke.
>>
>>7711305
>>What you reading, Anon?
An imageboard called 4chan.org/lit
>>What's it about?
On the surface it's about literature, story books, Marxism, and Ayn Rand. A second glance reveals it as an attempt at documenting the demise of literature and western culture.
>
>Is there any way to answer this question without either saying essentially nothing, or the book sound retarded as fuck?
How did I do?
>>
>>7711305
Recite the summary.
>>
I hate it when people ask me that question when I've just started the book.

I recently started reading Catch-22, and am only up to the second chapter and a friend of mine asked me what I'm reading and what it's about.

You stupid bitch, I'm only 17 pages into a book that's over 500 pages long, how the fuck am I supposed to know what it's about?
>>
>>7711330
it's about scat.
>>
File: nd.jpg (11 KB, 400x380) Image search: [Google]
nd.jpg
11 KB, 400x380
>Sorel
>It's about how to make syndicalists more killy
>hfw
>>
>>7715405
>surrealist
I wish plebs would stop using this word loosely
>>
Sebald's Rings of Saturn
It's about taking a walk.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.