[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else is like Beckett? What are your fav works by him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: beckett-reading-2006.jpg (13 KB, 243x330) Image search: [Google]
beckett-reading-2006.jpg
13 KB, 243x330
Who else is like Beckett? What are your fav works by him?
>>
>>7710952
>tfw same nose as beckett
>>
I'm a massive fan of his novels and short stories. if you're new to his stuff I'd def recommend either his short stories or the film version of many of his plays in a great project called Beckett On Film (def. worth torrenting). do not touch Watt or Molloy/Malone Dies/The Unnameable if you're unfamiliar with his stuff even though they are by far and away his best works.
>>
>>7710952
Godot is pretty Goodot
>>
He was a big guy.
>>
>>7711005
"Don't you see?!" cried Lucky "Godot was here with you the whole time, ha ha. He lives in your heart. You will never have to wait for him so long as you love one another"
>>
Pleb tier , I guess bc I only know Godot. I guess I am a sick fuck bc I think its hilarious. I like when they what to hang themselves but are all: " too bad that tree is a faggot for hanging yourself with." Top kek.
>>
>>7710967
my condolences
>>
>>7710995
In particular I think that that Beckett On Film version of Waiting for Godot is the best I've ever come across

Everybody involved functions so perfectly in their role its incredible
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 520x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 520x320
>>7710967
>>
>>7711005
>Estragon: (leans on tree and sighs) I guess we'll always just be Waiting for Godot.
>>
>>7710995
Disagree with that last bit. I started with Godot and then went to the trilogy. Loved every page. They are probably three of my favorite books, even though the almost completely defy explanation. Beckett has a way of cutting down to the core and touching profoundly on life at its most basic. He strikes at the very essence of human existence. His trilogy does this increasingly with each book. No need to read his other stuff first.

That said, I was pretty experienced in early modernists prior to coming to Beckett so maybe that helped.
>>
>>7710952
The Trilogy is far and away his best work imo, but I really like Waiting For Godot (obviously), What Where, Play especially, and what little I've seen/read of Krapp's Last Tape seems very good as well

I just picked up a copy of Stories and Texts for Nothing so I'm looking forward to reading through those
>>
has anyone read his novels? what should i start with?
>>
>>7710995
Yeah me too. I like his theater works enough but I love his fiction particularly Malloy, Malone Dies, unnamable and company.
>>
>>7711157
the trilogy (there's a sexy modern library edition that collects all three if you can find it), then Watt, then Murphy, Mercier and Camier, or How It Is if you can find them. Most of DOFTMW was incorporated into More Pricks Than Kicks
>>
>>7711153
Texts for Nothing is very good. You won't be disappointed.
>>
So are the Beckett on Film productions the best out there for his works? Are there any better individual performances that I can get on DVD? Is the Stewart/McKellen performance available on dvd anywhere?
>>
File: beckett.jpg (202 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
beckett.jpg
202 KB, 600x450
>>7710952
euurghh
>>
>>7711239
>taking the words out of context
You're exactly as bad as those people quoting it
>>
Emil Cioran felt a great connection to his work, both had a pessimistic nature.
>>
I've only read Godot. I liked it.
>>
>>7711880
Cioran is more cheerful desu. Knew when to stop digging.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.