[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books about identity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: ladda ned.png (144 B, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ladda ned.png
144 B, 225x225
I'm trying to understand ones identity better. What is is, what it means to us - the whole shebang.
Have you read, or do you know of any books that can help me with this? Psychology treatise or novels, it doesn't matter.
>>
Frisch, 'Stiller' or 'Mein Name sei Gantenbein'.
>>
>identity
>what it means to us
what?
>>
>>7709922
The Odyssey has identity as a central theme (the Iliad too, but I'm less familiar with it). However, heroic identity is quite a bit different than what you're looking for, probably.
>>
Read Invisible Man
>>
>>7709929
Alright, maybe I need to explain. It might be difficult to do so because, of course, I haven't really figured it out yet. And that it's a bunch of littles ideas with a thread between them doesn't help either. But here it goes:

I think that reson people are so set in their opinions is because they don't want to face the fact that they don't have any. As soon as you use socratic questioning it becomes obvious.
I think people can't stand not having an identity, and that's why people flock to these groups like feminism or the trump-lovers on /pol/. They want to be a part of something because they arn't something themselves.

So what I want to learn is; what the fuck is up with that? Am I correct? Why do people act like this? What role does identity play in ones life? Why is lack of identity so awful?

I hope this makes any sense.
>>
>>7710003
I want to understand the people more than the whole identity thing. But I think i have to understand identity to be able to understand them. Maybe I'm wrong though.
>>
>>7709922
Hamlet, existentialism.
>>
Middlesex
>>
>>7710054
Thanks
>>
File: deleuze-1.jpg (60 KB, 330x254) Image search: [Google]
deleuze-1.jpg
60 KB, 330x254
>>7711272

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_and_Repetition

The work assays a critique of representation. In the book, Deleuze develops concepts of difference in itself and repetition for itself, that is, concepts of difference and repetition that are logically and metaphysically prior to any concept of identity

Deleuze uses the preface to relate the work to other texts. He describes his philosophical motivation as "a generalized anti-Hegelianism" (ix) and notes that the forces of difference and repetition can serve as conceptual substitutes for identity and negation in Hegel. The importance of this terminological change is that difference and repetition are both positive forces with unpredictable effects. Deleuze suggests that, unlike Hegel, he creates concepts out of a joyful and creative logic that resists the dualism of dialectic: "I make, remake and unmake my concepts along a moving horizon, from an always decentered centre, from an always displaced periphery which repeats and differentiates them" (xxi)
>>
File: identity.jpg (59 KB, 432x345) Image search: [Google]
identity.jpg
59 KB, 432x345
>>7711302
>>
Identity is an illusion developed by shallow symbolic differences we see. It is our inability to see the "Other" as being one with ourselves.
>>
Catcher in the Rye
>>
File: roidz1.jpg (104 KB, 942x354) Image search: [Google]
roidz1.jpg
104 KB, 942x354
I wonder which book isn't about identity to some extent? Everything existential is, for sure.

>>7710003
You imply that being a part of something bigger isn't a valid way of forming ones identity - why?

To answer the question, it would also help to say what you mean by someone having no identity.

I guess it comes down to why you require an identify to be something self made and very different from other identities.

Having a "unique" identity seems more fun - certainly if you read a book about that person. But I also think that standing out that way leads to a risky life and I don't see why you'd want to glorify it like that.
>>
>>7709922
Mankind can only ever define itself by what it is against. What are you against, OP?
>>
>Projective identification

Though a difficult concept for the conscious mind to come to terms with, since its primitive nature makes its operation or interpretation seem more like magic or art than science, projective identification is nonetheless a powerful tool of interpersonal communication

Projective identification may take place with varying degrees of intensity

The good/ideal parts of the personality may be projected

Various types of projective identification have been distinguished over the years.

Acquisitive projective identification, where someone takes on the attributes of someone else

Projective identification may be used as a type of defense, a means of communicating, a primitive form of relationship, or a route to psychological change

People may learn flexibly to project many different "selves" to different people and in different situations, as in Robert Jay Lifton's protean self

In this case, they might wear many different kinds of masks at different times

"A person can play many roles and subjectively be convinced that he is "he" in each role." The ideal of the modern "superman" or "superwoman" is somebody who can appear to a wide audience in numerous different roles, while still remaining authentically himself or herself – a combination of maximum flexibility and maximum consistency.

Several problematic effects of viewing the self as singular and wholly real or fake include: self-subordination and surveillance, performing for performance sake, and performing for an audience of oneself (a concept Tracy & Trethewey term “auto-dressage”).

The crystallized self is a theory that refers to the idea that individual selves are neither “real” nor “fake,” but rather “crystallized” with multiple facets

Tracy and Tretheway say: “The crystallized self is neither real nor fake…. The crystallized self is multidimensional; the more facets, the more beautiful and complex."
>>
There's not a lot to learn about identity. And most of what you'll find is bullshit.

I know you ask this because of these identity politics played by these femtards.

You have to understand that identity is PC for either race, gender and/or religion to these people.

By learning academic studies on identity you will actually learn nothing on how to combat these identity politics.

The biggest reason why these femtards exist is because god is dead and they can't stand the abyss that is staring into their souls, so they have to create a veil under which they can hide and feel safe.

They have lost their objective morality (read: god, which was never there in the first place) and are grasping at anything resembling it. In case of these femtards it's feminism.

Identity politics is nothing but virtue signaling. "Look at how good and empathetic I am!"
"See? I don't need a god to be good! See?"

It's pathetic and soon it will be irrelevant. It's just a phase, like when females went topless in the 70's burning their bra's and shit.

They'll grow up, have some stupid babbies and laugh at how stupid they were when they were young. The other ones will become cat ladies.

TL;DR: Don't bother wasting your time.
>>
>>7711590

> don't stand out
Yea, because successful people just do what everyone else is doing.
>>
The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster.
>>
Your identity doesn't mean shit. What you ARE doesn't matter- anyone can just BE something. The only thing that matters is your actions.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.