[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I start with Hemingway?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (281 KB, 706x903) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281 KB, 706x903
Where should I start with Hemingway?
>>
Grasp the base of the shaft firmly, fondle the balls with your spare hand then swirl the head with your tongue before working your way down to engulf the whole thing.
>>
>>7709752
Thanks for the daddy boner.
>>
Start with the greeks
>>
>>7709742
You shouldn't because he's actually pretty lame. Probably the biggest worthless meme author people take seriously.
>>
File: 1340746589980.jpg (108 KB, 1583x439) Image search: [Google]
1340746589980.jpg
108 KB, 1583x439
>>
>>7709742
All his short stories. Move to books if you enjoyed those.
>>
>>7709861
Wow, that's just a terrible chart.
>>
>>7709742
you need to read the entire western canon first
>>
>>7709895
How?
>>
Start with The Old Man and the Sea. It is a quick read and a good introduction into his writing style. After that you can decide if you want to read more.
>>
File: 1433643592828.png (30 KB, 231x220) Image search: [Google]
1433643592828.png
30 KB, 231x220
>>7709937
The Sun Also Rises is a shit book. Start with Old Man and The Sea instead.
>>
In Our Time
>>
>>7709780
Came here to say this.
>>
>>7709957
>The Sun Also Rises is a shit book.
pffthahahahaha
>>
>>7709954
>>7709957
The Sun Also Rises focuses on American midwestern intellectual youth values, which is a provincial theme. Fantastic book, but is not a general introduction to Hemingway for the average reader.

The Old Man and the Sea is a faster read than The Sun Also Rises, and is also like a quicker, saner version of Moby Dick.
>>
I've only read The Old Man and the Sea but I found it perfectly comprehensible and a very good little book too. I'd be surprised if you needed to read any of his earlier works to grasp that story.
>>
How about A Farewell to Arms? Would that be a good start?
>>
>>7710068
If you're into how war affects people's world views, yes. Couple it with Crane's Red Badge of Courage, and you're gold.
>>
POSTING IN EVERY HEMINGWAY THREAD

1. THE SUN ALSO RISES
2. THE SHORT STORIES THAT AREN'T ABOUT WAR/BOXING/SKIING/COW BAITING
3. A MOVEABLE FEAST

THESE BOOKS ARE THE REASON HEMINGWAY IS A GOAT WRITER. NOT MUH WAR NOT MUH FISHING.
>>
>>7710046
>saner
Descarted
>>
>>7709742
You shouldn't.
>>
>>7709957
>The Sun Also Rises is a shit book
Spotted the pleb memer.
>>
The Greeks
>>
Start with these:
In Our TIme
The Sun Also Rises
A Farewell to Arms
>>
>>7709957
My oh my. And I thought my home board, /mu/ was full of people with their heads up their asses: this place takes the fucking cake. I'm going to assume the role of an older person, probably mid-40s, at the parental point in their life: you should all be ashamed of yourselves for discouraging intellectual curiosity in the bright, inquiring minds of those younger than you -- those who possess the most curiosity about the world out of all the ages. I can't believe how pretentious and up your own asses you lot are. Telling the younger generation they could never read this or that, assuming they're too immature and naive to understand ENGLISH words written by ENGLISH authors, diverting them from what they want to do out of the assumption that their mind can't comprehend certain meaning. The absolute fucking temerity (that's To Kill a Mockingbird for you, which I understand quite well thank you very much). I thought this, of all places, would be the place for acceptance, tolerance, and an openness to curiosity and inquiry. I guessed wrong. I guess I'm only a stupid fucking kid who listens to meme music and who will never rise to the heights of your self-absorbed, vapid drollery. Fucking snobs. Fucking English majors. This might've even dissuaded me from going into English in college, my favorite subject. You're the reason why I hate fucking English now. I can write brilliant analytical essays, but after writing so many of them, I realized how pretentious, formulaic, and droll they really were: just like your respective attitudes. So you know what, I'm done with the conformity and the fucking listening to what pseudo-intellectuals have to say: I'm going to read The Sun Also Rises on my free time (fuck the assigned books I have for English) and do whatever the hell I want. And you're not going to fucking stop me.
>>
>>7712191
>hurr durr ima post some copypasta HEY MOMMA LOOK IM TROLLING ON THE FOUR-CHANS
>>
>>7709855
>bait.jpg
>>
Just finished For Whom the Bell Tolls, I thought it was great.
>>
>>7712205
I'm not baiting at all. I genuinely think Hemingway was the biggest hack ever to have been embraced by the public at large and academia as a "serious" author.
>>
>>7710426
Hey the fishing in Sun Also Rises is great
>>
>>7709957
The Sun Also Rises is actually good, The Old Man and The Sea is the one that is unremarkable.
>>
>>7710426
B..but... my fishing..

He came down a hillside covered with stumps into a meadow. At the edge of the meadow flowed the river. Nick was glad to get to the river. He walked upstream through the meadow. His trousers were soaked with the dew as he walked. After the hot day, the dew halt come quickly and heavily. The river made no sound. It was too fast and smooth. At the edge of the meadow, before he mounted to a piece of high ground to make camp, Nick looked down the river at the trout rising. They were rising to insects come from the swamp on the other side of the stream when the sun went down. The trout jumped out of water to take them. While Nick walked through the little stretch of meadow alongside the stream, trout had jumped high out of water. Now as he looked down the river, the insects must be settling on the surface, for the trout were feeding steadily all down the stream. As far down the long stretch as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles all down the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain.
>>
>>7712681

I like fishing. That passage is tedious though.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.