[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nietzsche's philosophy is literally just YOLO. What a waste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
Nietzsche's philosophy is literally just YOLO. What a waste of time. Thanks /lit/.
>>
File: YORE.jpg (121 KB, 400x508) Image search: [Google]
YORE.jpg
121 KB, 400x508
>>7709527
>living only once
>>
>>7709527
idk man... nigga hated alcohol
doesnt sound very yolo to me
>>
>>7709527
>literally
>yolo

Leave.
>>
>>7710215
Aw did he hurt your internet culture sensibilities?
>>
>>7710218
No, he's just a retard. Judging from your response, so are you.
>>
Nietzsche is literally just a devious illogical continental daydream warrior with a philosophy that acts as a Rorschach test for pretentious edgy faggots
>>
>>7709527
He was more like a "don't let the moral get in the way of your fun, but for this you need to know yourself very well, which is the only way to escape from the moral shackles that society impose on you" kind of guy.
There's also plenty of others nuances in his sense of aristocracy that needs to be addressed before one can say his philosophy was merely just "YOLO".
>>
>>7709527
kek I honestly don't think that there is a way to be more wrong about Nietzsche
>>
>>7709527
No, his philosophy was that collective morality was all an illusion, there is no universal truth that can be accessed by humans in a verifiable manner. Therefore we all must make our own truth and walk our own path through the void. We have to figure out who we are, and more importantly who we want to be. We have to overcome not only society's chains, but our own chains to improve ourselves. In the same way that creatures evolve, so must the human mind.

The Ubermensch is not simply a person, the Ubermensch is a process, a process of self overcoming to leave what we consider human sensibilities behind, to ascend to a higher existence of our own creation.

His Will to Power is also a breakthrough in the understanding of the universe.

>>7710205
He didn't necessarily hate alcohol, he hated drunkenness. Alcohol was only bad in that it was used to inebriate. He hated religion and nationalism for the same reasons (though there was also a collective morality component in those cases).

Nietzsche wouldn't begrudge you a beer with friends. He would call you a fucking idiot if you actually sublimated your own will and just did whatever he told you was good thouh.
>>
File: 1449161808926.jpg (267 KB, 888x888) Image search: [Google]
1449161808926.jpg
267 KB, 888x888
>2016
>doesn`t know about the eternal return
>>
>>7710345
eternal recurrence
>>
>>7709527
Surpass, ye higher men, the petty virtues, the petty policy, the sand-grain
considerateness, the ant-hill trumpery, the pitiable comfortableness, the
"happiness of the greatest number"--!

And rather despair than submit yourselves. And verily, I love you, because
ye know not to-day how to live, ye higher men! For thus do YE live--best!

Have ye courage, O my brethren? Are ye stout-hearted? NOT the courage
before witnesses, but anchorite and eagle courage, which not even a God any
longer beholdeth?

Cold souls, mules, the blind and the drunken, I do not call stout-hearted.
He hath heart who knoweth fear, but VANQUISHETH it; who seeth the abyss,
but with PRIDE.

He who seeth the abyss, but with eagle's eyes,--he who with eagle's talons
GRASPETH the abyss: he hath courage.--

You could read "YOLO" in this, only if you don't understand what the abyss represents.

Spoiler: it's the absence of objective morality
>>
>>7710352
Samsara until Moksha.
>>
Nietzsche's works are the Lance of Longinus that punctured Western civilization. Postmodernism in all its forms are merely bacteria growing in the wound he created.

No matter what you think of him, you have to understand that he was a philosopher of absolutely monumental importance.
>>
>>7709568
top kek
>>
>>7709527
Nietzsche's philosophy is basically just modern Republicanism.

ftfy
>>
>>7710566
>Implying Nietzsche isn't just proto-fascism.
Literally Hitler.
>>
>>7709527
10/10
>>
>>7710566
>>7710587
Significantly weaker bait than OP, try harder guys.
>>
>>7709527
That's because it was originally written as a satire
And then he died and his sister rewrote it into subtle nazi propaganda
>>
>>7709527
whats wrong with the expression? just because its used by people you don't like doesn't mean its inherently wrong
>>
>implying YOLO isn;t valid
>>
>>7711365

I've only seen it being used by millenials moments before they do something they'll regret for the rest of their lives.

It's an indicator of bad judgment. (See OP for reference)
>>
File: 1381033364559.png (110 KB, 381x448) Image search: [Google]
1381033364559.png
110 KB, 381x448
Stirner's philosophy is literally just YO. What a bust of spooks. Thanks /lit/.
>>
>>7710316
>He was more like a "don't let the moral get in the way of your fun, but for this you need to know yourself very well, which is the only way to escape from the moral shackles that society impose on you" kind of guy.

H8rs gonna h8 and YOLO so let u b u
>>
>>7711449
>You only
nice
>>
>waste
>of
>time
>>
>>7711449

holy shit
>>
>>7709527
This could not be more wrong. Of course it's reductive, but the conclusion is the exact opposite of one of Nietzsche's ideas.

He believed in circular history. He believed that you only live an infinite amount of times.

-THE DEAK
>>
>>7710356
Nietzsche really is so fucking based.
>>
>>7710316
I like this point of view. He could probably thought that.

>>7710345
>Español
>>7710356
If someone didn't understand it:
>God is dead
>People have fear to accept it
>Fear of that "abyss" which is a metaphor of negative nihilism.

>>7712343
>Nietzsche really is so fucking based.
Zarathustra really is so fucking based.
>>
nihilists are just degenerate coward faggots

it's only when you truly believe that everything is important, when you don't care, and become the so called ubermensch, you generate apathy and nothing else
>>
>>7712455
>>Nietzsche really is so fucking based.
>Zarathustra really is so fucking based.
Nietzsche is Zarathustra, atleast for the larger part.
>>
>>7712455
>Fear of wthat "abyss" which is a metaphor of negative nihilism

"Surpass, ye higher men, the petty virtues, the petty policy, the sand-grain
considerateness, the ant-hill trumpery, the pitiable comfortableness, the
"happiness of the greatest number"--!"
>God as the objective morality

>God is dead

And rather despair than submit yourselves. And verily, I love you, because
ye know not to-day how to live, ye higher men! For thus do YE live--best!

>Absence of objective morality

He who seeth the abyss, but with eagle's eyes,--he who with eagle's talons

>Reevaluate all values

Same thing, different descriptor.
>>
>>7709527
Hook, line and sinker!
>>
>>7710343
I started Thus Spoke Zarathrusta and didn't understand it that well,what would you recommend I read before?
>>
>>7713241

At least The Gay Science, Antichrist and Beyond Good and Evil.

Maybe the World as Will and Representation by Schopenhauer as well. If you want to get a better idea of the context in time you'll have to read some Hegel and Feuerbach as well.

Maybe some Heraclitus too. Nietzsche was a big fan of him.

But if you just want to get the jest of Thus spoke Zarathustra, the three books I mentioned should suffice.
>>
>>7710343
>He didn't necessarily hate alcohol
Yeah, he did. Have you read Ecce Homo?
>>
Orthodoxy from Chesterton is a much better book tbqh, Nietzsche just missed the point entirely
>>
File: MUTANT POPE.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
MUTANT POPE.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>7713241
the bible, his previous works, Schopenhauer. IMO Zarathustra stands on its own though if you read very carefully and understand philosophy. He intended it to be the bible of a new age. Reading it in German is surreal because of how well he mimics the style of the Lutheran bible. It could be apocrypha if it wasn't so diametrically opposed to the Christian ideal.

>>7713333
Re-read his passages. When he talks about alcohol, it's generally me, me, my, I and more me. He's talking about himself, his own constitution and the effects of things on himself though he does advise all of 'more spiritual natures' to abstain from alcohol. This generally gels with the overall tone of Ecce Homo. He also says no coffee (it makes you too gloomy, he says) and tea only in the mornings, depending on the climate. He likes cocoa a lot too.

He has some other silly dietary advice, like never eat German food, don't snack in between meals, and he channels the legendary mutant pope in saying that you ought to eat big meals.

Again, the grand tone of his philosophy is 'this is just like my opinion bro and u should figure it out 4 urself lmao' so he'd probably think less of you for never touching a drop of liquor just because he said so, rather than coming to that conclusion of your own volition.
>>
>>7713408
>Chesterton
>better
>no irony

Kek.
>>
>>7713421
Why do you think he likes Islam so much? No alcohol.
>>
>>7713508

Chesterton

>married, had kids
>had a normal death
>writes much better than Nietzsche
>understands Hegel at a very personal level
>believes in god and can show you true wisdom
>btfo all edgyness from skeptics and positivists

Nietzsche

>writes when he is butthurt
>her sister doesn't respect him at all
>dies alone
>he lives in a contradiction between his personality and his writings, without never accepting it
>he literally writes as a butthurt alter ego
>dies when he realizes that he was wrong the entire time
>so much circular reasoning from all the loneliness thinking that drove him mad
>probably a crypto-mlp faggot
>>
>>7713514
No, he likes Islam because

1. He was ignorant as fuck about eastern religions in general, other than Buddhism (read his interpretations of the laws of Manu, they are based on a shit translation so it's not entirely his fault).

2. Islam, from his perception, was not a faith of denial. From his perspective, it didn't deny pleasures of the flesh and was not a product of slave morality, but was instead a religion of warriors and nobles.

But ultimately, you must understand that he felt that a collective master morality was just as flawed as a collective slave morality. He wrote so viciously against slave morality and Christianity because they were the most apparent threats to him.

If he spent 10 minutes in Saudi Arabia today, he'd be writing about how much of a cucked idiot Muhammad was and how all Muslims are idiots drunk on religion.
>>
>>7710343
He hated alcohol because he was a fucking sheltered momma's boy and it hurt his tummy.
>>
I'll be reading Nietzsche soon but before, since I really know little about him what other writers and what books exactly should I start with? (Except Bible and the Greeks).
>>
>>7713539
So the argument for Chestorton's arguments is Chestorton? Not his arguments?

And the argument against Nietzsche's arguments is Nietzsche?
Not his arguments?

I think there is a fallacy at play here.
>>
>>7710343
>His Will to Power is also a breakthrough in the understanding of the universe.
for rationalist who thinks that we abide to some reason.
>>
>>7715580

>he thinks nietzsche cares about logical and rational arguments

he only cares about what the guy was in reality, literally this is the only reason that he likes or the doesn't like certain people
>>
>>7714564
Nietzsche can stand on his own if you know Plato, Heraclitus and Aristotle relatively well. Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation is useful, as is Spinoza's ethics. But he's not like Kant where you've got about ~6,000 pages of other philosophers to read before you even start him if you want to understand what the fuck he's saying.

The key with Nietzsche is that if you don't read pretty much all of his post-Basel published works, you won't actually get him. He's tricky like that, he does things in easily digestable aphorisms and people think that because of this, they can compartmentalize him, they can mix and match and they don't need to see the whole forest of his trees to understand its nature.

Nietzsche is not the kind of author who just writes one book and says 'okay time to move on with my life', he references his older works frequently in his newer ones. Zarathutra stands on its own because it contains within it every single idea he ever had in one form or another, but it's still made much richer by knowing his other works.

I recommend you either start with Zarathustra and keep it by your side while reading his other works to refer to and come to a progressive understanding of what a work it truly was, or read him chronologically,. but leaving Zarathustra for last, as the capstone that weaves his work together.
>>
>>7712994
>He who seeth the abyss, but with eagle's eyes,--he who with eagle's talons

>Reevaluate all values
>Seek the Master morality
>Begin your journey and follow this path to become the Übermensch.
Nice to know somebody really analized Nietzsche over here.
>>
>>7715964
>he only cares
Again? The same fallacy?
>>
>>7711405
Yeah, it's mostly used to justify stupid decisions. But it is a valid point, that living a conservative, safe life is likely a waste of what as far as we know, is a one time offer.

It fits in really well with the idea of every choice you make locking out every other alternative. You choose to sit at the computer, or even doing a sport, you're guaranteeing that you will miss an experience in any number of other things.
>>
>>7712310
How many lives will you live until you release your solo album?
>>
>>7709527
And yet instead of YOLOing like Nietzsche taught you, you still choose to waste your time on this board. Does it make you happy?
>>
"Semen is the strongest nourishment"
-Friedrich Nietzsche, notes from 1880.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.