[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am dying of cancer and have roughly half a year to live. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 8
File: cover.png (234 KB, 415x415) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
234 KB, 415x415
I am dying of cancer and have roughly half a year to live.

What book MUST I read before I pass?
>>
Great Expectations mate
>>
the death of ivan ilych

i wouldn't waste your time reading though. go do things.
>>
El TĂșnel
>>
Just do a lot of drugs and sex and other degeneracy since you won't have to deal with long term consequences
>>
>>7709159
I agree with both sentences
>>
Notes from Underground
>>
KJV
>>
File: The_Tunnel(pic).jpg (26 KB, 220x335) Image search: [Google]
The_Tunnel(pic).jpg
26 KB, 220x335
>>7709151
The Tunnel by Gass
>>
>>7709157
Why would you waste a dying man's time?

Read The Plague
>>
>>7709266
JVD
>>
>>7709151
Note, Crime & Punishment, and Brothers Karamazov by Dosto so that you can accept God into your heart and go to heaven after you pass.

Ill pray for you, my friend.
>>
>>7709275
What's it about?
>>
>>7709275
>starts reading The Tunnel
>100 pages in
>still confused, but it might get better
>finishes the book
>realizes only after completing it that he's been memed
>dies immediately of cancer
>>
>>7709151
The New Testament, Jesus of Nazareth series by Joseph Ratzinger and writings of John of the Cross.
Good luck and have a calm and peaceful death.
>>
>>7709161
i like this book. why did you choose it though?
>>
Lots of unprotected sex.
>>
The Gospel of John

Also The Brothers Karamazov if you're inclined to read something of that length. If not the whole thing, then the life story of Father Zosima that comes after the Grand Inquisitor.
>>
Read the Gospels and be with God. You have far more than half a year to live; once you've accepted God in your heart, you will have eternal life in heaven.
>>
>>7709151

new testament

if you're not religious just ignore the old entirely, the new has the superior mysticism, message, symbolism, and contains revelation

maybe then Dante's Commedia

and then go out and have fun
>>
>>7709503
I'd prefer non fiction books
>>
I'm so sorry to hear OP--I truly am.

You should read Anna Karenina before you pass. And I agree with other anons here: live life as you choose, but don't underestimate the novelty of experience. Rage against the dying of the light op
>>
>>7709533
OP here,

I'm not really dying of cancer, I just wanted true recommendations. Sorry to play with your emotions.
>>
>>7709538
fuck u
>>
Fuck You op. I actually am dying
>>
>>7709523
YOU LITTLE FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>7709523
first off how dare you
>>
>>7709303
While it addresses a very, very large amount of things, what seems the most prominent is, similar to Mason & Dixon, the fragile and subjective nature of history, and, through the writing of the book's main character--William Kohler--the most hateful mind ever put to paper--it shows us its underbelly, its inside. However, if you do read it--which, since it will inevitably, in a couple decades, be hailed as the masterpiece it is, is a good idea--don't expect to understand it without the help of supplementary materials.
>>7709311
Yes, that would be quite funny. What's funnier, though, is if that happened, the last thing he would feel before death--extreme disappointment--would be, in fact, misplaced, as The Tunnel is a great novel, and, like most of the people who denounce it, he merely misunderstood it.
>>
>>7709151
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardo_Thodol AKA The Tibetan Book of the Dead. Not meming, but be sure to get a copy with Jung's afterword.
>>
Stop listening to Kanye. That's probably how you caught cancer
>>
Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>7709538

Whether or not you actually are OP, this is a really bad thing to do.
>>
File: Rebels-Against-the-Future-cover.jpg (581 KB, 1224x1869) Image search: [Google]
Rebels-Against-the-Future-cover.jpg
581 KB, 1224x1869
>>7709549
I have one hour to live. I'm spending it with you guys, my best friends.
>>
>>7709538
I'm going to be less likely to believe a legitimate claim because of this
>>
>>7710039
I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message.
>>
Don't read. It's good to read through your life to cultivate a greater understanding of the world and a greater context to converse with others from. If you have half a year to live you just need to go out and do what you can with the people you love.

Please, don't read a book.
>>
>>7709450
Zosima's life story was the shit.
That whole "My brother asked the birds to forgive him..." bit. Damn. Love that part.
>>
>>7710039
People lie on the internet?
>>
>>7710115
Why are you even here? Please spare us your idiotic, facebook-tier advice. They're are plenty of places for those like you.
>>
>>7709998
I have a minute to live and I'm spendoisdfĂšDHFOISDhfiosdhfIĂšOJDKHGFSJKhfidsnkjfshjkfdhwDISOHFSdkjfhkjlsdhflksdklffoijhsiofdhsdoiJFSDKAGJPIDJFKLSWIOSPDJKCLXZJPOFSPCSD
>>
Stop meming him you faggots.

Read the tibetan book of the dead and something by Eckhart Tolle

RIP my friend
>>
>>7709151
If i had half a year to live i would try to make contact with all the people iv'e actually /liked/ in my life, eat & drink good wine in calm locations and spend my time with them. I would also read good books and at least have a couple of mushroom trips with said friends in beautiful locations.
>>
>>7711495
But he is right

Reading is a shitty TV addiction tier activity if you don't have enough time in your life left to let it grow on you and help you develop

But stay pretrntious with your puerile MUH READING IS #1 THING WORLD mindset
>>
>>7709151
T H E I L I A D
H H
E E
A
O E
D N
Y E
S I
S D
E
Y
>>
>>7709151
Are you the guy with skin cancer that made a thread like this one some days ago?
>>
>>7709293
Kek'd a little, but still are good choices.
>>
Don Quixote
Shakespeare's works
Divina Commedia
Brothers Karamazov
War and Peace
>>
>>7712159
Confirmed for being too stupid to learn or never having read any good books. Learning from a book is applicable immediately, sure it ALSO grows on you, but if you read a good book it will also help you immediately. Depending on what you *do* with your life of course. Playing COD doesn't count.
>>
>>7712224
Why did you write all the titles in english, but not Dante's book?
>>
>>7712236
Just to clarify, i do not mean to say that your skill in COD couldn't be improved by a good book. It very well may be possible. What i meant to say was that that probably isn't the activity OP should pursue.
>>
>>7712241
Because I'm Italian and a bit chauvinist.
>>
get into buddhism bro
>>
>>7709151
The Bible
>>
>>7712318
For what purpose? I'm not religious.
>>
>>7712720
Now's a good time to start.
>>
>>7712890
Why?? It's not like anything will happen when I die, and reading a Bible won't change that.
>>
File: Theotokos-Iconostasis1.jpg (56 KB, 633x1330) Image search: [Google]
Theotokos-Iconostasis1.jpg
56 KB, 633x1330
But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God’s word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.
In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
>>
>>7709151
God bless you, peace be with you OP. The power of the living God is not in word or human knowledge but in the Spirit and power of the living God.
>>
>>7712952
>It's not like anything will happen when I die
But something will--you'll go to hell.
>>
>>7713000
I don't believe that.
>>
>>7709151
The Conspiracy against the Human Race.

It will make going away a lot easier.
>>
>>7713003
And that's why you'll go there. Repent, sinner.
>>
>>7713033
Come on man, I realize you're trolling, but this isn't the time or place. Please stop forcing your beliefs on other people.
>>
>>7713051
>responding to a meme
wew
>>
>>7709151
Le petite prince
>>
Drink three grams of Ashwaghanda, 8 grams of Reishi mushroom, and 10 grams of Spirulina, with something that has two or more cloves of garlic

And follow the thread, read and tempt fate in your favor
>>
>>7713149
are you trying to kill him earlier?
>>
browse /lit/ until the end
>>
>tfw roughly 50 years to live
>>
>>7713182
No, taken daily, all of those seem to legitimately fight cancer and supplement cancer treatments

I'd suggest cannibis oil but I sincerely cannot personally vouch for its efficacy from anything I've read
>>
>>7713193
How about you just drink green tea? At least it's good and not cannabis/mushroom shit.
>>
>>7709303
Don't actually read it. It's a good book, but it's also a meme on this board. It was only posted in jest.
>>
>>7713191
>tfw roughly 60 years to live
I am so apathetic I can't help but just get a little tired thinking about it
>>
>>7713191
>>7713237
>tfw roughly 200 years to live

When I'm 50 medical technology will advance to the point where our average lifespan will nearly double.
>>
>>7712236
Experience > books

Now stop memeing
>>
>>7709468

God doesn't exist. Heaven doesn't exist.
>>
>>7713279
You seem very confident in that belief. Ignorantly confident, one could say.
>>
File: aubrey.jpg (50 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
aubrey.jpg
50 KB, 422x422
>>7713249
>my feel when
>>
File: JepGambardello.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
JepGambardello.jpg
155 KB, 1280x720
>>7709151
Watch The Great Beauty

The most truthful insight on life/death and the most aesthetically brilliant of any film I have seen. If you dont watch it you may as well die now.
>>
>>7709151 (OP)
Do not listen to people like this >>7713282

You can find infinitely more solace in Buddhist and Eastern spiritualism and they dont exact faith in divinities in exchange for salvation.
>>
>>7713290
You again. The movie is pretentious as fuck. The scene with the girl at the lighthouse made me want to puke.
>>
>>7713307
Let me ask you something. Before you were born, before you came into consciousness, what was there? What do you remember? What did you feel?

So now let me ask you, what do you think will happen when consciousness escapes you and your brain, you, don't work anymore.

Nothingness, just as before.
>>
>>7713327
>pretentious
You dont know many Italians do you?

Stop projecting your cynicism and ironic detachment. There is pretentiousness in everything, you dont have to fucking fetishise it.
>>
>>7713249
Are you a jewish billionaire?
>>
>>7713389
What point are you trying to make? I wasnt advocating afterlife, I was denying it
>>
>>7713414
I'm Italian, genius.
>>
>>7713419
No I'm a 20 year old white male that is optimistic in human intuition.
>>
>>7713425
Thought so. Fucking Italians are so full of shit
>>
>>7713427
>optimistic in human intuition.
There's where you're wrong. The lifespan will double only for people born in that era.

You will most likely only be able to replace your limbs and cells and other stuff to live till 150 years of age if you're really really rich and related to the global elite.
>>
>>7713427
In 50 years we will be in a new Dark Age. Savour the present while it lasts.
>>
>>7713431
The movie is bad, deal with it.
>>
>>7713438
Why do you think this?
>>
>>7713230
Because Green tea is one thing, and those are three different things that I've read work seperately in different pathways that fights cancer

I didn't say green tea *didnt* work, but I also can't recall it being used as anti cancer or anti tumor, fat burning and telomere preservation, maybe
>>
>>7713484
There's a reason why nips live that long.They don't drink soft drinks, at least they used not to.
>>
>>7709538
May karma have mercy on your troll
>>
>>7713493
But the thing is that tea has noticable effects only in long-term use. If he has like a year to live then I doubt it's going to help much.
>>
>>7713536
Well of course. I think I've never said anything about op, it's only right that people pay for their dumbness.
>>
>>7713051
No one is dying you fucking faggot
Back to redit
>>
>>7713442
The symptoms that precipitated all previous "dark ages" seem to be manifesting

>mass migration
>death of traditional social/governmental institutions
>climate change
>untapped potential for tech to change lifestyle and vast disparity in the knowledge of that tech (look up the role iron played in the bronze age collapse)

If the worst comes to it I will be moving to China
>>
>>7709159
Yeah cause cancer patients can totally jump out of bed and do things
>>
>>7713558
everyone is slowly dying, anon
>>
>>7713650
Not me.

t. The universe
>>
>>7709275
Anon he wants to keep his mind off of cancer, not read it
>>
>>7713307
yeah man I totally love having beliefs that impress my middle-class friends
>>
>>7714472
I don't fucking have cancer. Why did you all believe me.
>>
Please read Proust. It's like nothing else.
>>
Omensetter's Luck or The Recognitions. I know The Recognitions gets some shit around here for being a 'meme' book but it's definitely one of the great American novels if not the greatest novel written in the last 50 some odd years.
>>
File: PicsArt_01-29-04.03.18.jpg (63 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_01-29-04.03.18.jpg
63 KB, 540x960
>>7714593
Stop lying on the internet. You DO have cancer!
>>
File: lit cancer anon.png (280 KB, 751x522) Image search: [Google]
lit cancer anon.png
280 KB, 751x522
>>7714593
>>
>>7713643
if you can read, you can write
>>
>>7709151
Crime and Punishment
>>
>>7714593
Because nobody lies on the internet.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.