[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Subvocalisation thread "Subvocalization (also known as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: 034824.jpg (68 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
034824.jpg
68 KB, 566x800
Subvocalisation thread

"Subvocalization (also known as auditory reassurance) is a very common habit among readers. It involves saying words in your head while reading and it's one of the main reasons why people read slowly and have trouble improving their reading speed." - http://www.irisreading.com/speed-reading-tips-5-ways-to-minimize-subvocalization/

Do you subvocalise, /lit/?

I don't understand how I can read and not hear the words in my head - I thought that was called reading. Plus with better lit I need to slow down to make sure I catch any meaning
>>
working in urban education one thing i noticed is muslim women from south asian always subvocolaize so much they are basically vocalizing, they whisper while they read or at least mouth the words...why? because in awful islamic schools they make u read the koran all the fucking time and the only way to prove you're reading it and not staring at the pages is is to mouth the words as u go, even black guys don't suck at reading that much, reading is to get information, not perform a duty
>>
File: 1433899204774.jpg (39 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
1433899204774.jpg
39 KB, 446x362
>>7708422
>Here’s an example of what I mean. Think about when you are driving. When you see a stop sign, do you actually vocalize the word “STOP” in your head? You may have done so right now while reading the words in the sentence, but when you see a stop sign while driving you’re unlikely to say the word. You see it and recognize that it’s a stop sign automatically.

>tfw you hear the word STOP in your head
>>
>>7708435
i reverse subvocalize: when i talk or listen to talking i can't help but imagine the text of it
>>
>>7708438
I don't actually read at all anymore I just intuitively reconstruct meaning in my mind.
>>
File: 1429944238946.jpg (109 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
1429944238946.jpg
109 KB, 1024x569
>>7708459
>i don't actually read at all anymore I just make it up
What?
>>
>>7708422
Yes, because I like to analyze and appreciate prose.
>>
>>7708422

No, I don't. When I read I feel like I'm not going "ok what does this sentence mean?". It's almost like I see the words and grasp the meaning, like its forming images in my mind.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.