[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions that don't deserve their own thread. Couldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: qttdtot.png (8 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
qttdtot.png
8 KB, 284x177
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Couldn't find one in the catalog so I'm starting.

Which is the better edition/translation (for Meditations-Marcus Aurelius) ?

1. The Emperor's Handbook - Aurelius
Translators: C Scott Hicks, David V Hicks

2. Meditations - Aurelius
Translator: Gregory hays

Which is better and should be preferred?
>>
File: .png (9 KB, 401x367) Image search: [Google]
.png
9 KB, 401x367
>>7708224
but you started a thread to ask them
>>
>>7708238

damn. you got me you clever fox you.
>>
In one hour I can only read 30 pages of a book like C&P (in English). Not a native English speaker. Easier ones I manage to hit 50.

How bad is that, and how much WPM reading do I average?
>>
>>7708602

i cant judge, just compare to how you read in your mother tongue, you might be a really slow reader or very fast...

but generally 30 pages isnt too bad, fairly slow but not awful, wpm depends on pages size and font so...impossible for me to say
>>
How to properly remove price tags?
>>
>>7708224
Get the Oxford edition. Or Everyman if you're fancy.

>>7708602
Don't get into the fucking habit of worrying about how much you read in a sitting. It's irrelevant. What matters is that you comprehend what you read and you experience the work.

>>7708615
I've heard deodorant is good, best for plastic covers though. Never tried it myself. Google it.
>>
How do you write convincing dialogue? I have slowly built this character through monologues and his interactions with objects and situations, but when i try to make it interact with another character it just doesn't work, or comes off as unnatural.
>>
>>7708992
Read Tolstoy and Conrad.

Speak to people.
>>
>>7708994
I'm not a recluse or anything, i do speak to people constantly, i just can't make it work on paper, but thank you for the recommendations, ill look around for those writers.
>>
Who is the Michael Herr or Tim O'Brien of the Korean War?

or

What is the Dispatches and The Things They Carried of the Korean War?

I realize that New Journalism didn't exist then, but I'm wondering what the definitive non-fiction (or autobiographical with very loose fictional elements) and non-history book of the Korean War is?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.