[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of this glorious bastard? And also similar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
What does /lit/ think of this glorious bastard? And also similar authors
>>
mid tier

also narcissus > siddhartha
>>
Oh Boy! Why only mid tier? and i think narcissus is equal to siddhartha. it just depends on how open you are for buddisthic spiritulism.
>>
>hmm i dont know shit about literature
>but i remember they assigned me siddhartha in high school
>how can i look like i know what im talking about even though i don't?
>>
>>7707931
overrated, coelho-tier feelgood shit
>>
absolutely worthless self-help literature for 16 year old stoners

can't write, knows nothing about religion
>>
>>7707985
Can´t write? Okay! What kind of author would you recommend, who "can write"?
>>
>>7707990
David Foster Wallace is Cervantes compared with Herman Hesse
>>
>>7707992
What? This is water for example is so basic -just old long known shit in new words, nothing special! I never understood how something like that could raise to such popularity
>>
The Glass Bead Game and Beneath the Wheel are top tier.
>>
>>7708436
Thank you! Finally somebody who read more of him beside Narcissus and Sidartha!
>>
>>7708457
I think every avid german reader has atleast read Glasperlenspiel. And Unterm Rad is typical german gymnasial literature (aka high school).
>>
>>7708465
I am german and made Abitur but never read Hesse in school and also never heard about somebody how has read Hesse in school. Only Kafka, Schnitzler, sometimes Mann and mostly Goethe and Schiller....
>>
/lit/ likes to call Hesse Coelho tier because no one here read anything beyond the Wikipedia summary of Siddhartha.

Siddhartha is like his worst major work anyway.

Glass Bead Game is GOAT
>>
>>7707931
Glasperlenspiel
Narziß
Morgenlandfahrt
Siddhartha
Demian
>>
>>7708492
I think Siddhartha is okay but in my opinion his best is wolf of the steppes!
>>
>>7708475
Funnily enough, I never read Kafka, Schnitzler or Mann in Gymnasium.
>>
>>7708683
>Not a single mention of steppenwolf in the thread
It's the next book on my to read list, so what am I in for?
>>
>>7708704
A good book.
>>
>>7708683
what did you read instead?
>>
>>7708704
Steppenwolf is sick yo! Just read it man!
>>
>>7708864
Frisch, Goethe, Kleist, Dürrenmatt, Hesse, Lessing
>>
>>7709615
not bad man. Only Kleist! I don´t like Kleist!
>>
>>7709688
Why does no one like Kleist? I know, his writing style in stuff like Marquise von O... was just a drag, but his shorter texts like Über das Marionettentheater and Das Erdbeben von Chili are very enjoyable.
>>
>>7709792
okay I have to admit that das erdbeben von chili is really great, but I don´t know I just can´t digg his whole style of stories and writing!
>>
I've read Demian, Siddartha and Steppenwolfe. Demian and Steppenwolfe in particular were great. I've had Narcissus and Goldmund and Journey to the East on my bookshelf for a year but haven't got round to reading them.
>>
>>7708500
>>7708704
>>7710000
I thought Steppenwolf was his most famous book. Probably because of the rock band. Only book I read from him.

girl, to the Steppenwolf
>You haven't obeyed in a long time. I can see you like to obey.
>>
>>7710000
If you liked Demain you will def enjoy Narcissus. Read it anon!
>>
>>7710015
You should really read more of him if you liked Steppenwolf and Oh Steppenwolf is full of good phrases like:
“You are willing to die, you coward, but not to live.”
or
“The man of power is ruined by power, the man of money by money, the submissive man by subservience, the pleasure seeker by pleasure.”
>>
>>7710024
The shitposter by shitposting.
- Norman Mailer
>>
>>7710104
Lmao, funny
-Dante Alighieri
>>
>>7711722
I am like 90% sure he did not say that.
>>
>>7711734
really? I thought "lmao" was allready a thing back in the thirdteenth century!
>>
>>7711799
No, you think of "Lamo!", which is latin for "I snicker."
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.