[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comrade is patrician
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12
File: Xi Jinping Pictures.jpg (60 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
Xi Jinping Pictures.jpg
60 KB, 858x536
In France, he praised a long list of writer-cum-penseurs from Montaigne through Voltaire and on to Jean-Paul Sartre. In the United States, he lauded Whitman, Thoreau, Hemingway, and Jack London. In Germany, the more “theory”-heavy pantheon included Leibniz, Kant, Hegel, Feuerbach, Heidegger, and Marcuse alongside Schiller, Heine, and Goethe.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/lessons-from-the-xi-jingping-book-club

Philosopher King?
>>
true patrician king. mastered the art of namedropping to please the plebs.
>>
File: xi-ing red.jpg (98 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
xi-ing red.jpg
98 KB, 1200x900
Is there a more based world leader alive today?
>>
>>7707028
For a patrician, he sure has shite taste.
>>
>>7707173

Give China another 200 years and it'll be decayed from the inside by corruption like America is now.
>>
>>7707028
Not a single author outside the canon most plebs know. Thus showing that the General Secretary is himself a pleb.
>>
>>7707206
Why are Americans so resentful about Chinese success? Do you guys really hate communists/yellow people that much?
>>
>>7707093
I thought mike tyson was the one true patrician king
>>
File: Pope-thumbs-up.jpg (118 KB, 640x457) Image search: [Google]
Pope-thumbs-up.jpg
118 KB, 640x457
>>7707173
>Is there a more based world leader alive today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXGOLYvVIpc
>>
File: ooNJHbO.png (92 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ooNJHbO.png
92 KB, 300x300
>>7707173
>>7707289
>mfw November comes these opinions will be objectively wrong
>>
>>7707244
Because if current trends continue, American pride will lose its prestige, like Russia's fall from being a superpower.
>>
>>7707244
No, I'm entirely confident that China will become the only superpower in the world like the US is now in about 100 years. But it'll fall to the same trappings. I seriously suspect WWIII by at most 2200.
>>
>>7707289
Now, Francis actually IS a patrician. He loves Borges and Dostoevsky.
>>
File: 1455654685749.jpg (202 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1455654685749.jpg
202 KB, 717x880
>>7707693
>Dostoevsky
Yeah, he's very Patrician.
>>
>>7707697
shitpost.

I don't agree with either the post you quote or the post it quotes, but c'mon.
>>
>>7707725
Dostoevsky isn't bad but he's entry level and someone saying that someone who loves Dostoevsky is the MOST patrician of all is wrong.
>>
>>7707729
I'm aware, but a gb2 is just overkill and uncalled for.

Ah whatever. Calling Francis a 'world leader' is silly anyway.
>>
>>7707682
>No, I'm entirely confident that China will become the only superpower in the world like the US is now in about 100 years. But it'll fall to the same trappings.
all great powers do, m8.
>>
File: xixi rider.jpg (40 KB, 550x344) Image search: [Google]
xixi rider.jpg
40 KB, 550x344
Is this worth reading?
>>
File: wild-swans.jpg (173 KB, 690x1050) Image search: [Google]
wild-swans.jpg
173 KB, 690x1050
>>7707206
>PRC
>not corrupt

They’ve so much corruption they’ve been executing high profile people to try to stem it. Doesn’t anyone on here read books?
>>
>>7707206
>2015
It will surprise me if nations will even exist, the way we understand them now, by 2100. Do you just leave yourself a blindspot when it comes to technology?
>>
File: 1455333509618.jpg (66 KB, 640x641) Image search: [Google]
1455333509618.jpg
66 KB, 640x641
>>7707983
>reading Jung Chang
C'mon anon, that's the most entry-level "I just got into reading about China but I don't know how to discern between good books and bullshit pls help" thing you could've cited.

>>7707772
Only if you're a serious China-watcher. Otherwise the repetitive style will make it boring as fuck.
>>
>>7707983
True statement, but bizarre choice of book... kind of like illustrating 'do you even read?' with The Alchemist or something.
>>
>>7707028
>Communist Party leader lists German writers
>does not include Marx
呜呼哀哉
>>
>>7707206
>Give China another 200 years and it'll be decayed from the inside by corruption like America is now.
China is the most corrupt country on the planet. My brother took a doctoral level seminar on Chinese accounting which all came down to the lesson "dont believe any numbers"
>>
>>7707983
>>7707983
Posts like this are why I keep coming back to /lit/

>Opinion
>Disgust at others ignorance
>Book recommendation

Its already on my to read list.
>>
>>7707772
Ive heard its highly propagandist and only really read by people who want to do business in China, as it gives good examples of how to direct newspeak of the government back at people.
>>
Xi probably finished gweilo philosophy before he could tie his own shoes.
>>
>>7708370
>>7708034
And this is why I hate /lit/, snobbery at anothers book choice but no book rebuttal
>>
>>7708402
Jung Chang was from a wealthy family. Most of what she writes is bitching about having to do the same work as the lowly peasants. There are a few passable "scar literature" books (a whole genre of Chinese books written to cash in on the TRAGEDY of the Cultural Revolution), but hers is not one of them. It contains no real insight into the reality of the CR or of Maoist China, and has only become acclaimed because of its political value.
>>
>>7708469
>There are a few passable "scar literature" books
Feel free to list them
>>
>>7708474
Look into Liu Xinhu and Lu Xinhua if you want the origins of the genre.
>>
>>7707983
Well duh, but China's corruption happens to be a highly functioning one, can't say the same for America's.
>>
>>7708392
Your opinion might matter if you were actually intelligent
>>
>>7708630
If you think you can tell anything about me from that amount of text; well we know who the real dum dum is dont wel.
>>
>>7708636
>wel.
Hee hurr. Don't pin this on 'joking', you really did screw up there.
>>
>>7707244
Because they're scared. They had like what, 15 years of being the sole superpower? Multi polarity scares them
>>
>>7707028
>namedrops a bunch of shit anyone would have heard about in introductory philosophy/literature classes
>"look guys hes patrician xD"
>>
>>7708625
>America's isn't high functioning

Last I checked American companies get through tax and earning reporting season no problem, the important roads are still repaired and paved, the airports still function, tax breaks are still handed out with no hurdles, and the rich families still get adequate police protection
>>
>>7708710
At least he pretends to be. American leaders do photoshoots at burger joints to appear as pleb as possible.
>>
File: xi-jinping-chine.jpg (62 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
xi-jinping-chine.jpg
62 KB, 1000x664
>>7707028
>>7707173
The leader we need and the leader we deserve. Soon, comrades. Keep the faith.
>>
>>7707244
They're reaching the end of the REM cycle and subconsciously know they are about to wake up from the Amerifat Nightmare.
t. Amerifat
>>
>>7708402
>I hate /lit/ because I can't keep up
Sounds like a personal problem. Even Anti-China historians (and "historians") hate Chang and Halliday.
>>
File: 5.jpg (63 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
63 KB, 690x388
>>7707028
Vladislav Surkov, Putin's PR man and one of the architects of Russia's current system. He spends his spare time writing meta as fuck fiction about his tactics/philosophy, mostly published under his Natan Dubovitsky pseudonym. He was involved with several avant-garde art movements in the last years of the Soviet Union did PR work for gangsters and oligarchs in the 90s and was probably responsible for much of the Kremlin's strategy in Ukraine

>It was the first non-linear war. In the primitive wars of the 19th and 20th centuries it was common for just two sides to fight. Two countries. Two groups of allies. Now four coalitions collided. Not two against two, or three against one. No. All against all.

>And what coalitions! Not like the ones you had before… It was rare for whole countries to enter. A few provinces would join one side, a few others a different one. One town or generation or gender would join yet another. Then they could switch sides, sometimes mid-battle.

>Their aims were quite different. To take over a disputed coastal shelf. To forcefully introduce a new religion. Raise ratings. Try out new lasers. To stop humans being divided into men and women as gender differences undermine the unity of a nation.
Most understood the war to be part of a process. Not necessarily its most important part.
>>
>>7708848

damn man that was beautiful
>>
>>7709193
If that's true, he sounds completely insane.
>>
>>7708839
America's corruption is shrinking the country, China's so far has rapidly expanded it. That's why I said give it another 200 years, hell, maybe even within the next 100.
>>
>>7707697
What in the fuck is this

Since when did Dosto become pleb tier

What in God's name is wrong with this board
>>
>>7709233
>If that's true, he sounds completely insane.
and he probably is, but you gotta recognise his genius for applying postmodern thought to politics think the theater of the absurd as a tool of political control. Definitely light years ahead of bumbling EU/US leaders.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n20/peter-pomerantsev/putins-rasputin
>>
Why are chinese leaders always intellectual heavyweights? You cannot compare Tse-Tung and Xiaoping works to shit like Obama's and Bushes
>>
>>7709314
Scholarly culture dating back millenia
>>
>>7709314
Because they don't have to cater to the lowest common denominator as much because they don't have a populist media spectacle pseudo-demcoracy, I guess.
>>
>>7709329
wrong guess
>>
>>7709314
Not always, considering Chiang Kai Shek's power grab and the mess that ensued. It just happens that recent modern Chinese leaders are what remain after thousands of political backstabbings to rise to the top. It's a good thing, as it keeps epimethean madmen from getting anywhere close to China's nukes.
>>
>>7709335
Pointless post, like your existence
>>
>>7709193
Can't remember what it was called but I read one of Aleksandr Dugin's short stories, it was pretty good
>>
>>7708848
damn...
>>
>>7709373
Found it, called OSHYM OSHYM
>«Disgusting old man», it kept running through my mind.«Dangerous man». He was dangerous because of the only fact, that for years his wrapped-up soul became crowded with multiple fragments, discontinuity of visions, of implex stuffy desires, of dark yellow mental flesh pieces, which are horrific, because still not able to reunite with each other... The horror of foul soul of the young is fresh. The horror of the old sours. It is more passive and listless, but at the same time more toxic. Indeed: «dangerous old man».
>>
>>7708710
I've been to several literature classes and I can assure you half the people here don't know half the authors
>>
>>7709373
Aleksander Dugin is another guy. The National Bolshevist party (of which Dugin was one of the founders) is another, very deliberate example of the use of spectacle in politics. Many of its original members came from the avant-garde and punk scenes. In the end though, the Kremlin managed to neuter/co-opt them like they do with most opposition groups. This is one of Surkov's preferred strategies The post-soviet sphere is full of weird shit and fucked-up/fascinating hyper-cultures.
>>
>>7709314
Obama is /lit/ too. http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/01/04/obama-as-literary-critic/
>>
>>7708034
why not recommend entry level books to people who know nothing about china??
>>
>>7709432
Dugin's never compromised his radicalism though, that's the reason he got kicked out of Moscow State Uni. Dugin and Putin did have a genuine convergence in the early days about the Eurasian Union

https://youtu.be/QQLks1BmepU
>>
>>7708625
lol, it’s not highly functioning??? it leads to people being swallowed up by escalators ffs
>>
>>7707028
If you guys want to know more about modern Chinese history, an important thing to do is NOT to read the President's published books. They're good as a case study as to what the regime wants the people to think the policy is revolved around, but it's just propaganda and it's kind of like reading a compilation of the Nazi policies that were disclosed to the people at the time. If you want to actually learn stuff, I'd recommend Kissinger's on China
>>
>>7709437
>Remember how I said there’s a certain kind of conservatism which I respect more than bourgeois liberalism—Eliot is of this type. Of course, the dichotomy he maintains is reactionary, but it’s due to a deep fatalism, not ignorance. (Counter him with Yeats or Pound, who, arising from the same milieu, opted to support Hitler and Mussolini.)

Obama is the embodiment of bourgeois liberalism ffs
>>
File: Sam hyde supreme gentleman 2.0.png (114 KB, 460x260) Image search: [Google]
Sam hyde supreme gentleman 2.0.png
114 KB, 460x260
>>7709451
>Warns about propaganda
>Recommends Kissenger
>>
>>7709451
>>7709493
Kissinger calls on China's bullshit, now just add one more writer who can call on Kissinger's bullshit (preferably a smaller 3rd party, like someone from the Balkans).
>>
>>7709373
Here's a short story by Surkov/''Nathan Dubovitsky''. Dude probably has the highest irony level out of any current world leaders.
http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue582/without_sky.html
>>
>>7709447
Because in this case "entry-level" is usually bullshit. China-bashing is an artform in the US and there are publishers who will sell anything as long as it makes the Chinese government look bad. Not that they're exactly saints or anything, but (for example) Chang will tell you with a straight face that Mao fucked little girls despite there being only one piece of discredited material indicating this to be true. The best entry-level book on China is The Party by Richard McGregor, or anything by Jonathan Fenby, but even these have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

>>7709451
You know the Chinese leaders do believe all that stuff in Xi Dada's book? Don't make the common Ameripleb mistake of assuming China is some kind of hellish despotism run by cynical gangsters (which is the mistake Kissinger makes, since Kissinger is the original cynical gangster of international politics - his book on China is only good for his recollections of meeting Mao)
>>
>>7709574
>Nathan Dubovitsky
This guy shot my ex-gf's brother in Ukraine. Fuck you, man.
>>
>>7710165
Fenby’s work is good, only it’s heavily focused on The Market and numbers that, depending on one’s politics, are largely irrelevant metrics of success.
>>
>>7710216
Aye, but him and McGregor are fairly easy to read and don't do too much moralistic condemning (there's still some, of course, because it seems westerners still remain pathologically obsessed with the evils of communism even today). They're the best of a bad bunch.
>>
>>7710236
Fair enough.

Has anyone read Spence’s big ol’ Tome?
>>
>>7709476
well that'd make him awfully /lit/. though not very patrician, granted.
>>
>>7709247
Just memers confusing entry-level with pleb
>>
>>7709437
Christ, what pompous windbaggery.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.