[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is this guy talking about?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: page7-220px-The_Wasteland.djvu.jpg (6 KB, 219x338) Image search: [Google]
page7-220px-The_Wasteland.djvu.jpg
6 KB, 219x338
What the fuck is this guy talking about?
>>
You'll never know.
The meaning is highly subjective, other than that its just really beautiful words combined with esoteric allusions.
>>
yer spirit is a desert sonny, red rock no rain and whatnot

basically the modern world sucks cause nobody believes and there's no illusion of a point anymore, and the bourgeois are a buncha pretentious hollow men a-and some shit about tarot lmao
>>
>>7706744
Come in under the shadow of this red rock and I will show you...
>>
File: the-waste-land.jpg (2 MB, 5400x7200) Image search: [Google]
the-waste-land.jpg
2 MB, 5400x7200
if you haven't internalized the canon enough so to synthesize a sublime hermeneutic experience with every line you need to hit the books m8
>>
File: feel guy smiling.gif (18 KB, 534x640) Image search: [Google]
feel guy smiling.gif
18 KB, 534x640
And when we were children, staying at the arch-duke’s,
My cousin’s, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.
>>
Why does it feel like the first part is pretty much the whole poem and everything else is meh
>>
>>7706911
The first part is actually comprehensible to the average person.
>>
>>7706775
Nice resolution.
>>
You need to get pounded by Ezra before you Eliot. Some Whit, man wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>7706775
>tfw when I'll never be sufficiently erudite to bask in the glory of hermeneutic readings of major works.
>>
>>7707038
When you get to about sixty years old you will.
>>
>>7706744
Expressing his homosexual love for a friend killed during WW1.
>>
>>7706775

this is pretty good actually

i need to go back to the waste land, i've now read a sizeable chunk of the stuff on here since i last looked at it
>>
>>7706751
>The meaning is highly subjective
What a nice way of saying meaningless.
>>
>>7706911
The fire sermon is the most important part imo
>>
>>7707916
>What is modernism
>>
>>7707916
Noob detected
>>
>>7707916
>he still believes meaning is possible.

Oh lordy.
>>
>>7707843
Jean Verdena was perhaps his secret lover who died during WW1 in 1915...hence the reference to the drowned Phoenician sailor.

Perhaps their first tryst took place in the garden. Does this mean that Eliot was the hyacinth girl?

When his wife finally appears during The Game of Chess I wonder if it's not Eliot's attempt at concealing the act.

Just a personal theory but it all adds up.
>>
>Lets theorize that every accomplished author in history was gay for progressive points

I'd heard he was a virgin until his mid twenties and Prufrock was a rant about his insecurities and sexual frustration.
>>
>>7708748
>I'd heard he was a virgin until his mid twenties
Still better than me.
>>
>>7708795
His first wife spent half their marriage in an institution, I don't think its that bad.
Your time will come, hopefully.
>>
File: Blake-Abel.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1630) Image search: [Google]
Blake-Abel.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1630
>i grow old, i grow old
>i shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled

the love song of alfred inspired the cuffed pants fashion style that's in right now???

btw eliot is basically shunning the youth like a bitter modernist old man by shoving as many references to the bible, antiquity, shakespeare, etc etc to confuse the audience. that's what i read about the work after being totally floored and mindfucked by it. any thots?
>>
>>7708748
I think prufrock is about Eliot's insecurities about being a poet. Think of the questions he asks in the poem:
Do I dare?
Then how should I begin to spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
And how should I begin?
Shall I say
Do I dare to disturb the universe?

All questions a young poet might ask.

That is not what I meant at all
That is not it at all.

It's probably both, desu.
>>
>>7709804
Only the waste land and gerotian. The rest are lightly dusted with allusions and they aren't required to understand the poem.
>>
File: pieter-bruegel-the-stride.jpg (34 KB, 550x387) Image search: [Google]
pieter-bruegel-the-stride.jpg
34 KB, 550x387
>>7710100
i was referring to the waste land. my bad. i heard the waste land as a literal description of culture by ts eliot in his time. the confused reaction to the density of the piece is on purpose: readers weren't studying shakespeare, the greeks, religion, or classical lit to the extent that eliot feels is necessary to be literate in literature.
>>
good thread
>>
>>7708748
He wrote it when he was 21 or 22 though
>>
Do you guys just expect the meaning to be immediately apparent without having to read anything else? Here's a hint: Fisher King.

To make it as basic as possible, the poem is about the spiritual state of society at that time.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.