[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was anybody else severely disappointed with this? Like this is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: doctor_sleep_full.jpg (691 KB, 1505x2184) Image search: [Google]
doctor_sleep_full.jpg
691 KB, 1505x2184
Was anybody else severely disappointed with this? Like this is goosebumps level stuff here.
>>
>>7705333
I don't expect anything from Stephen King, so no I was not disappointed.
>>
>>7705333
It's Stephen King so I don't know what you were even expecting. He's basically RL Stine for adults.
>>
>>7705333
I really liked it. Its less scary than The Shinnig but it was more cozier for me to read. Its like the older he gets less atetion he puts into the scary element itself and concentrates in other things
>>
>>7705333
Stephen King is shit.
>>
I don't know about others, but after having read The Shining, IT, Red Dragon and Island of Doctor Moreau i realized horror isn't for me
i never get scared by such farfetched things, but i don't have a problem with things being farfetched outside of horror
>>
I wanted it to have more to do with Danny and helping the girl, being a mentor, and so on, like Halloran was for him. Meanwhile, he deals with his personal demons, his father, drinking, and so on.

I thought the villian of the week, steam baddies were pretty terrible. Embarrassing.
>>
i love basically everything by king through '91 but the only things since i really enjoyed were desperation and dreamcatcher (which was was pretty much just a rehash of tommyknockers). though to be fair i haven't read anything after duma key.
>>
it starts out alright but we get a classic deus ex machina King ending with ohhh i'll just use my super duper psychic powers.

Also the way whenever he brings up the true knot he can't help be describe them in the exact same way for a whole paragraph

those vampire in RVs
those RV vampires
psychic vampires in RVs
vampire RVs
those vampire RVs who are psychic
>>
>implying King has half as much literary merit as R. L. Stine
At least R. L. Stine knows how to write an ending
>>
The Book just wasn't scary at all. Which would have been fine if it was just about Dan getting over his demons and mentoring Abra, but instead we get this really corny True Knot stuff that is just not a scary as its trying to be. Also some of the references to the shining felt really unnecessary and just shoehorned in to tie in the book with the first one.
>>
Why do people read Stephen King?
>>
>>7706897
Well I started as teen reading King and Poe then I realised there is more than just that. It could be a good intro to literature.
>>
>>7706897
Because they haven't heard of anyone else and long books sound impressive to inexperienced readers. That's why I read his shit before I discovered authors who were actually interesting.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.