[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Although I don't agree with my wife's taste in books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: Twilightbook.jpg (24 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
Twilightbook.jpg
24 KB, 331x500
Although I don't agree with my wife's taste in books I do want to support her reading. She enjoyed the Twilight series, to my dismay. Can anyone suggest some teen reading she may be interested in?
>>
Helped my bimbo through her bulimia.
>>
File: HungryCaterpillar.jpg (27 KB, 440x316) Image search: [Google]
HungryCaterpillar.jpg
27 KB, 440x316
>>7705263
^This, I mean.
I know your pain.
>>
File: bfg.jpg (49 KB, 306x475) Image search: [Google]
bfg.jpg
49 KB, 306x475
>>7705215
>>
>>7705215
Anything by David foster Wallace
>>
>>7705294
I'd say she's supposed to start with the mongolians.
>>
>>7705215
Just give her something like Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, romance that is better written.
>>
>>7705292
Awesome book
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>7705215
My wife's shelf.

She is a STEM lord so somewhat forgive able.
>>
>>7705215
The Book Thief, The Fault in our Stars, Ender's Game.

I don't consider these to be good literature, but they're not bad either, and I reckon it'd be better to let her grow out of YA by herself than shoving classics down her throat and turning her off of reading them entirely. Maybe she would enjoy The Diary of a Young Girl (Anne Frank) and The Outsiders too.
>>
>>7705334
If you want to get her into slightly better lit try Marquez, coehlo, or junto diaz
>>
Dracula.
History books about Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathory.
>>
>>7705360
>history
>women

Unless it's that history of Alexander Hamilton no way.
>>
>>7705334
>That disgusting roster

Okay, here is exactly what you do:

Have her read some shlocky melodramatic emotionally manipulative bullcrap like whatever John Green just shat out, then move her on to some accessible and still emotionally manipulative stuff that's of a higher caliber, then move on from there, eventually weaning her off the crap.
>>
>>7705356

>slightly better
>Marquez

Nice one.
>>
>>7705360
Kek
>>
>>7705391
I'm not op, I was just giving him garbage to give his girl. My wife's taste is beyond redemption, I tried sending her those Neapolitan novels and she rolled her eyes.
>>
>>7705215
Get her Wuthering Heights. They mention that in Twilight a lot apparently and there's a special edition with a Twilightified cover. I don't know, maybe she'd also like those books that are getting an ABC Family TV show, Shadowhunters? The posters they have up for it at the train station look pretty teen goth.

Also, your wife is about 5-10 years behind trends in YA fiction.
>>
>>7705215
Hating on Twilight is a meme, it's a good enough book when you considered it's supossed to be a romance story for teenage girls.
Guess what was the demographic that really liked it? It was preteen and teenage girls
>>
>>7705334
Anything by Agatha Christie. That's just advice in general.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 400x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 400x342
Bartimaeus series

Golden compass
>>
>>7705968
Sure, except there are plenty of other people who liked it and weren't teenage girls. Same reason Harry Potter is okay for children <10 years old.
>>
File: 1455674401180.png (560 KB, 784x3888) Image search: [Google]
1455674401180.png
560 KB, 784x3888
>>7705334
To make her patrician, get her to read level 1 books and then move upwards.
>>
>>7706758
>strive for artistic internecine

ugly awkward meaningless
>>
>>7705215
>wife
>teen reading
you married a teenager?
you started dating a woman while her reading ability was beneath twilight?
>>
>>7706791
She's a stemlord. She only uses it as a bootstrap into socializing.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.