[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is textual fluidity a fact or a theory? As in, are texts inherently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 978-0-472-06815-9-frontcover.jpg (120 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
978-0-472-06815-9-frontcover.jpg
120 KB, 800x1200
Is textual fluidity a fact or a theory? As in, are texts inherently set in stone as definite editions, or are there always going to be multiple versions due to revision and adaptation that means text will constantly be in a state of evolution?
>>
kek this shit is gay
>>
>>7702936
But isn't it interesting to think about the social and economic pressures that caused a book to be printed at a certain time and then changed much later?
>>
>>7702942
It is interesting, I was just making myself laugh while bumping your thread. Very juvenile, I know.
Never really thought about it, though. Would censoring "nigger jim" and changing it to something else fall under what you're talking about? Or are you talking strictly format?
>>
>>7702960
Yeah exactly. Like in the original draft of Melville'd Typee, he changes almost all the usages of the word savage and native to islander, as if possibly realizing the cultural and racial implications caused by the usage. And some sex scenes cam be shown to be toned down in later drafts, due to the sexuality affecting sales at the time.
>>
In essence, a published work is like a window to view what personal and social forces were focused on at the time, and by seeing various versions and editions, be it a manuscript or a film adaptation, you can see stills of writers writing to fit the social climate of their time.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.