[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was told this was the patrician translation of the Iliad. this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 816qbYepzSL.jpg (438 KB, 1832x2550) Image search: [Google]
816qbYepzSL.jpg
438 KB, 1832x2550
I was told this was the patrician translation of the Iliad. this shit is so dumbed-down it's offensive. did I fall for a joke?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>7699564
Shit. oh well, my library had two other versions, guess I'll try one of those instead
>>
>patrician
>translation from greek
wat?

the classiest of translations is pope, but you don't know what your own words mean so i don't think you'll understand what a poetic translation is either.

get fagles or at most lattimore, plen
>>
>>7699566
My library does have Lattimore! they also have Reck who I haven't heard of
>>
Lattimore
>>
>>7699558
it's not, you're just a cunt thinking that it has to be in faux shakespearean verse
but for real the audiobooks work better than the written work for that translation; he's big on "performing" it (as homer did, of course)
>>
>>7699587
also the chapter intros are by susan sarandon which is pretty funny
>>
>>7699572
get lattimore
>>7699587
>faux shakespearean
the time dimension progresses the other way i think you'll find
>>
>>7699572
Lattimore is great.

>>7699587
Lombardo's does go it bit funny sometimes, makes it sound like it's set in the 2000's
>>
File: ian.jpg (23 KB, 620x337) Image search: [Google]
ian.jpg
23 KB, 620x337
>>7699587
>>
>>7699592
translations were produced post shakespeare and ape elizabeth barrett browning
what
>>
This is what you get for reading translations
>>
>>7699601
I'm clearly a newfag, you honestly think I can read Greek?
>>
>>7699608
simmer down
>>
File: pt.,.png (166 KB, 500x304) Image search: [Google]
pt.,.png
166 KB, 500x304
>>7699613
>>
>>7699596
homer wrote in dactylic hexameter which chapman imitated as close as possible with his rhyming fourteeners. keep in mind he's shakespeare's rival.

pope wrote in heroic couplets, sure, but imitated browning? just... what? and it's not like heroic couplets just started with shakespeare since it's most of fucking chaucer.

lattimore tries to put six stresses into the lines, and sure he doesn't always succeed, but bring it down to five he does not.

fagles is practically prose with line breaks.

mitchell is the only one i could think you'd confuse for shakespeare and wtf are you doing reading anal five beat translations of six beat poems?

you're a fucking idiot in english, forget about reading homer in greek.
>>
>>7699618
>fagles is practically prose with line breaks.
Is that a bad thing?
>>
>>7699644
no, but it means it doesn't have the style that shakespeare used at all. it's a good thing in general which is why it's the most used translation since it came out. lattimore's was the standard before that, but lattimore makes the assumption you know he's imitating greek verse. fagles assumes that you want to know what homer was saying except in english.
>>
File: imago.png (130 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
imago.png
130 KB, 500x500
just pick one and fucking read it, its not that important
>>
>>7699655
dumb frogposter
>>
>>7699655
It's very important, pleb.
>>
>>7699618
i was being flippant in noting that the OP is looking for something not "dumbed-down"
he's looking for some ye olde timey shit to soothe himself and thoughts of "not doing something properly" not realising that every translator is going for some sort of effect
>>
>>7699837
no, he's looking for something which doesn't treat homer like he's a retarded 90s kid. there's plenty of versions which will last longer than lombardo's because you would have to be a retarded 90s kid to think it's like so totally kewl. you're the kind of retard who would defend an edition that told you "achilles so on fleek rn aggmenon can't even".
>>
>Mention to parents that I'm planning on picking up the Iliad and the Odyssey soon as I get through Hamilton's Mythology
>They buy me a very nice hardcover with both books for Christmas, incredibly thoughtful
>Open it
>Butler translation
Looks like I'm heading to the library
>>
>>7699902
>endless lists of boats satisfy my autism
just kidding, anon, i see your problem with butler since he does edit it for simplicity and definitely did not want to write poetry. but on the other hand, you're learning mythology from hamilton, so this is a bit of a pot calling the kettle black situation. butler's edition is nice for a first read through, i hope you said thanks.
>>
I've read the Fitzgerald translations, didn't see them mentioned here. They seemed fine to me, but should I read another translation also?
>>
>>7699558
>patrician
Yes. Yes you did.
>>
Fagles is the best.
>>
>>7699566
As far as translation goes, Lattimore is far superior to Pope.
>>
Homer didn't write in "old time-y" language, he wrote in the language of his time. A translation should maintain that.
>>
>>7701528
eh, that's true, but it doesn't change the fact that I hated reading it
>>
>>7701329
>doesn't know what poetic translation means
be careful of that when buying translations. there's a difference between metaphrase, paraphrase, and imitation.
>>
All I can say is that I'm reading Lattimore and it is immensely enjoyable - far more than I thought a translation could be.
>>
>>7699866
you're a faggot
here's why
>>7701528

>>7701528
>>
>>7702796
>people spoke in hexameter all the time in ancient greece
>homer isn't upper class obsessed
>imblying you read greek
>implying you read either work
lol k faggot, enjoy being wrong
>>
Am I supposed to read the preface in Iliad / Odyssey of the Fagle version? It's fucking long
>>
>>7703624
No. Read it after if you're interested.

Most prefaces and introductions are best read after.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.