[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ What is art? I'm being serious to please try to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: The holy duo.png (622 KB, 748x354) Image search: [Google]
The holy duo.png
622 KB, 748x354
/lit/ What is art?

I'm being serious to please try to give an actual response. I have to write an essay in response to this question tomorrow and I'm an alcoholic who procrastinated while reading too much Dostoyevsky.
>>
An why should we foster your addiction? Get your shit together.
>>
>>7699418

Please, everything in my life has fallen apart
>>
File: 1455486862972.png (402 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455486862972.png
402 KB, 1000x1000
>>7699439
Time to rebuild it. Part of getting your shit together is to not run away from your responsibilities anymore, so why not write this essay on what Art is, and start anew?
>>
This is what happens when you read Dostoyevsky instead of his superior Tolstoy.

Read:

What is Art? - Leo Tolstoy
>>
>>7699443
Also,

The Preface to "The Nigger of the Narcissus" - Joseph Conrad
>>
>>7699392
What is not?
>>
>>7699392
Read the relevant part of Joyce's Portrait of the artist as a young man, that's the centerpiece
If you're doing an English thing you can't get away with not referencing it
>>
>>7699445
>>7699443
>>7699441

Oh alright
>>
>>7699451

Thanks
>>
>>7699392
I came to this thread hoping that there would be some real discussion. I wanna hear your opinions about this, poo-poo-ing some lazy nigger doesn't mean we can't talk about it anyway. I think art is any work that elicits an emotional response or grants perspective on an aspect of the human experience.
>>
>>7699392
If you can't bullshit your way through a question as open ended and nebulous as that you've probably never formed an independent opinion in your life. Come on man.
>>
>>7699551

No, I can, and I will and I have formed multiple independent opinons in my life. I'm just drunk as shit atm desu senpai and I'm tired and I fucking hate the bullshit electives I chose. Modern fucking Art? Please I only took it because it fit my schedule.
>>
>>7699392
Art, above all, is an institution. Art becomes art by being placed in the context of art.

Read George Dickie and study Duchamp's readymades.
>>
>>7699392
Maybe write about the dichotomy between commercial and artistic interests. Like, the primary defining feature of art is that it has a set of totally internal 'artistic' aims, and those aims are often at odds with commercial interests. There's a point at which things like books and films can become little more than a product for sale, and The Hunger Games isn't art for the same reasons TMZ isn't.
>>
>>7699392
Just say we all know what art is, language is a construct and then whip it out and spin it around
>>
>>7699392
art doesnt exist
>>
>>7699392
>I'm being serious to please try to give an actual response.
Interesting, alright maybe I'll try to make a short arg-
>I have to write an essay in response to this question tomorrow
Fuck you. You can write anything and get away with it.
>>
>>7699695

actually laughed out loud

fuck you, ok?
>>
>>7699703
art is based on arbitrary axioms cuz
>>
>>7699392
read narcissus and goldmund by hermann hess
>>
File: nydxqdjrTh1qz6f9yo3_1280.jpg (280 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
nydxqdjrTh1qz6f9yo3_1280.jpg
280 KB, 618x618
>>7699392
Something that is regarded as art by someone who is not its creator.
>>
>>7699392
Anything that a person puts creative effort into.
>>
>>7699715
you can find a lot of creativity in anything that needs problem solving (engineering, crime, cheating, programming, love,...) but is it always art?
>>
>>7699729
>>7699729

>But is it always art

Yes.
>>
>>7699711
>>7699715
Hello 16 year old me
>>
>>7699783
Looking forward to hearing your definition, wise old man
>>
>>7699753
If you declare everything as art, art becomes ordinary, pointless, and nothing different from anything else
>>
Art is just expression through a medium
>>
"What" "is" "art" "?" is a part of art with P.
>>
>>7699802
Is that a bad thing?
>>
>>7699863
It's a way of shinning a sunshine with brightest, or less.
>>
>>7699868
Bad thing is a good thing, for the way we appreciate it, it matters, it is there to serve a purpose as a contrast or maybe a background.
>>
>>7699878
We're living in a painting scene, we are here to detailing the details ahahag
>>
Art is an expression of something created for aesthetic or ideological purposes
>>
>>7699882
Whoever seeing and then weeping, that is art, therefore art is here to give meaning to meaningless, and to make meaning to be meaningless, both to hide and to strip the veils of a core bejeweled.
>>
art is(n') t
>>
>>7699898
There is formula hidden but also imprecise movements
>>
>>7699909
Art is nothing without YOU
>>
>>7699921
A ghost.
>>
>>7699802
Ordinary is art, pointless is art.
>>
>>7699945
This, is art. Right now, right here
>>
>>7699950
Ohh The beauty of stupidity, hmmm the tasty precision of intelligence.
>>
>>7699953
Ugly really, beautiful very.
And that is so beautiful!!!!!, so beautiful! Oh how ugly! And that... that is so beautiful... To recognise that ugliness, how beautiful.. How profound..
>>
File: profane-love-1515.jpg (189 KB, 714x857) Image search: [Google]
profane-love-1515.jpg
189 KB, 714x857
True
>>
>>7699868
Not bad, just meaningless.
If everything is wonderful, are the wonderful things any special? All becomes the same somehow
>>
>>7700101
Options, you can't savor all at once.
>>
>>7700125
no, you need the contrast. no good w/o evil, beauty w/o ugly, etc
otherwise it gets boring, except if you can get more all the time, but that might not be possible either
>>
>>7700141
>>7699878
,yes
>>
There isn't a definition. It's a word that people use (like sports, and postmodern) without thinking about its meaning.
>>
>>7700148
This Too
>>
stuff people intentionally made
>>
>>7699392
If it could be successfully broken down, codified and reduced to something that could be summed up in a couple of paragraphs then it would cease to exist. This would have happend 2400 years ago.
>>
>>7699392
i'll one up you, I have an essay due in 7 hours about what humanities is, as described by three authors that make a point of not describing what humanities is. 2k words and I haven't started
>>
>>7699441

This meme is so bad. Most of the people that recreationally smoke weed (1-2 a week) turn out perfectly fine, as well as those that recreationally drink, use drugs, etc.
>>
>>7699891
Seriously op if you're looking for a better answer than this you'll be disappointed
>>
Art is sublimation. Read Nietzsche, and forget everything of Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>7699392
>Reading too much Dostoyevevsky
>Reading Dostoyevsky
This fucking shit taste. I would've been still ok with helping you but then you also included this.
>Alcoholic
>Procrastinated
You're a degenerate and I hope you fail. Faggot
>>
>>7703274
Can confirm. Recreational use is harmless

Most addicts become addicted because they use substances as a crutch or coping mechanism instead of for enjoyment.
>>
>>7699392
Art is, in short, an extension of the artist; it is his interpretation of reality.
>>
There are many different kinds of art trying to say different things. A lot of art is vapid and says nothing, if not with trite forced meaning, because sometimes you need an artist statement about why your piece, which involves you jerking off in a gallery space, is significant in any way.
>>
Is all art a form of expression? Is all art a form of self-expression?

Consider the history of art: commissions and patrons (paint us a sexy St Sebastian) etc, or even now the asshole paid to design a cereal mascot. This is still art.
>>
>>7699441
you're a retard, drugs are fine and unrelated to this guy being a little shit.
>>
>>7700101
can you explain meaningless?
>>
>>7699392
Objectivisation of subjective experience through a medium?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.