[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ulysses reading group
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: James_Joyce_With_Eyepach.jpg (36 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
James_Joyce_With_Eyepach.jpg
36 KB, 337x450
Continued from >>7683940 as OP seems to have dropped the subject.

I have been thinking of starting next friday, 15 pages a day so anyone can catch up easily if unable to read for a few days.
We should be done in around 8-9 weeks.

If you're in, please say it.

Any suggestions/objections welcome.
>>
Aye.
>>
Aye.
>>
Captain
>>
Well that makes three. Good enough in my opinion.
Someone please read something with me until then ;-;
>>
>>7698470
I was both >>7698465 and >>7698469 and I have no actual interest in the thread

I was just hoping it would become a Spongebob thing
>>
I'm relatively new to /lit/ and I'm interested in this reading group; however, the only Joyce work I've read is Dubliners and I haven't read the Odyssey. My question is whether I should jump right into Ulysses with you guys or wait until I feel ready to tackle it on my own?
>>
>>7698488
You should at the very least read Odyssey and Portrait first.

Take your time, this is no race.
>>
>>7698488

go get The Odyssey right now (Lattimore or Fitzgerald desu)

you can finish it in like 3 days easy-peasy. and the only very important part of APotAaaYM is the part about his theory of esthetics.

then read it with us it'll be fun
>>
>>7698459
I'd be in, but Friday still seems a bit early.

Although, it would not be the end of the world if I had two books going at the same time.
I'd do it if there is no alternative date available.
>>
>>7698470

i'm in too btw OP. i was thinking of reading A Farewell to Arms before we start Ulysses bcuz i haven't read any Hemingway cept Old Man and the Sea

are you into that or do you wanna read summah else
>>
>>7698538
I'm in, FTA is gay
>>
>>7698564

wait i dont understand

so that's a yes?
>>
>>7698564
so like you XDDD
>>
>>7698567
Have you read his short stories? I think that would be quite fun
>>
shit i would love to do this but i'm way too busy in the coming weeks

hopefully it doesn't fizzle out like the gravity's rainbow reading group did. good luck to all
>>
>>7698570
How is someone so busy they don't have half an hour a day to read a book?
>>
>>7698577
i'm not dropping my current reading to do a /lit/ group and even if i did read 15 pages of ulysses a day i would need more time to get invested and contribute good conversation to the group. i've read the book twice already so i may drop by for some discussion once the threads are up i just don't see myself trying to read along and discuss as a group kind of demands
>>
>>7698587
What's your other group reading?
I need to find more groups.
Who gives good groups?
>>
this is going to fail just like the GR. too boring. just pick an actually fun and readable book like IJ, which was not so coincidentally the only read along that managed to succeed. maybe 2666.
>>
>>7698569
i dont have a copy of em.

here's some 3 or 4-day books i have on my to-read:

The Road
The Red Badge of Courage
Great Gatsby
Franny and Zooey
Light in August
Oresteia
Heart of Darkness
Redburn
Sophocles' Theban Plays
Molloy Malone Dies The Unnameable (prob just one of the three)
Inferno

sorry so american. any of these sound good?
>>
>>7698602
Ulysses is fun from the first page. I don't understand why I keep seeing this.
>>
>>7698605

im just finna read some Dickinson until friday

anyway count me in for the group
>>
File: Aeschylus trans. Hughes.jpg (13 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Aeschylus trans. Hughes.jpg
13 KB, 225x225
>>7698605
The Ted Hughes translation is bloody marvellous. Quite literally. Highly recommended. Pic related.
>>
File: Ted Hughes.jpg (5 KB, 136x165) Image search: [Google]
Ted Hughes.jpg
5 KB, 136x165
>>7699170
>Hughes translation of the Oresteia.
>>
I really want to join in on this, but I've literally just started reading Crime and Punishment, and I don't want to read a hard-ish book and fucking Ulysses at the same time.
>>
I'm in. I'm very familiar with the Odyssey.
>>
>>7698459
I'll be with you in spirit as I am already reading it. I'm in the Hades chapter (6). Also I think a chapter a day is, if not almost impossible at least not worth it. Some of them are really long and Joyce's style in Ulysses messes any chance of speed reading it. You are supposed to take your time with this book it's fantastic.
>>
>>7698459
Decide on a thread title and/or trip. If I search the archive for Unless es to find the threads it'll be more trouble than it's worth

This one is #ulysses btw
>>
I am in as well
>>
I'd like to participate in this, but I've never read anything by Joyce before. Nor have I read The Odyssey. Do you think I'd be wasting my time?

~15 pages per day sounds good.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2570x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2570x1920
>In his book, 'Ulysses' there are Hamlet references
How doth you read, anon? How am I to inquire?

The St. Patrick reference occurs early on, before Hamlet goes to England even.

http://youtu.be/yC-vj-vr4ic
>>
File: image.jpg (826 KB, 2484x1573) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
826 KB, 2484x1573
A Prince Hamlet killed my ancestor once. It happened 1,610 years ago now though, so I'm pretty much over it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2479x1820) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2479x1820
Someone using the pen name 'T.F. Healy' argued that Shakespeare's maternal origin may have been in County Cork (later Warwickshire). There's not a documentation to suggest this, but we know that Shakespeare was involved with Blackfriars Gate, and apparently knew Spenser.

There is a later document which was attributed to Spencer several decades after his death, in which the author appears to regret any role in a Catholic rebellion. Yet the French of this time appear somewhat complicit.

http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/irish_shakes/Shakes.htm
>>
would like to join, only issue is 15 pages of physical =/= 15 pages on a kindle and i don't have the oppotunity to go and get the book in the next few days

anyway around this?
>>
>>7698488
Odyssey is not especially required for it, but Portrait is.
>>
>>7699549
>>7699554
>>7699607
What are these pictures from? They are eerily familiar.
>>
>>7699622
Looks like the handwriting of the anon who posted some of his highlight-happy notes on various things in the past
>>
I would be interested. I will suggest that we agree on an edition to read and give ample time for shipping.
>>
i'm interested. i'll be reading an italian translation and mostly lurk though
>>
>>7699622
Have you read Cassell's Chronology? Written by a Welsh politician, if I recall...
>>
>>7699607
This article in the link was originally published in 'The American Mercury' in the 40's or 50's I believe.

>>7699607
Now if you're interested in international politics and society, this is around the time of "Boris Godunov" and "Musashi Miyomoto", respectively.

https://youtu.be/FGEvSaWsuQE

https://youtu.be/V8jZLIHnEWg
>>
>>7698488
If you can't do what the other anons are suggesting by next friday, don't worry about it and just read Ulysses with us anyway. It'll be very useful to read it as a group and talk about it every night - much easier than tackling it with reference guides on your own. Plus you'l hopefully enjoy it even though you don't understand it all this time round. If you do read the whole thing through this time, its guaranteed you'l want to read it again later, at which point you can obtain the suggested prerequisite texts.
>>
>>7698459
i'm in anon, great idea! i tried to read it many times but i never got past the first chapter. i hope i can achieve it together with /lit/
>>
>>7698459
Let's do it
>>
Those girls. Those girls. Those lovely seaside girls.

;_;
>>
Actually never mind, I really feel I should read The Odyssey first
>>
I like the idea very much, I just hope it can work within my GMT+1 timezone.
>>
I'm in. See you gentlemen Friday.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.