[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Such a let down. What say you /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 6334.jpg (30 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
6334.jpg
30 KB, 308x475
Such a let down. What say you /lit/?
>>
I disliked all the characters to the extent that I was about to throw the towel in at around halfway through. Figured that since it wasn't particularly long I'd power through and end it, it was overall very underwhelming but better finished than dropped
>>
>>7697683
one of the greatest living writers
>>7697783
>i didn't like the book because i didn't like a character
>>
>>7697794

Not that anon, but I didn't like the book because it was 100% teenage melodrama. I don't give a shit about the world in which it took place, the context is irrelevant if you're only reading about "y doesn't Bobby luv me ;_;" for 300 pages.
>>
>>7697813
>y doesn't Bobby luv me ;_;

>disregarding a book because it incorporates a romance element
>what is anna karenina
>most of western literature

>>reading for plot
>>
Okay, so before I tell you why I didn't like this book, let me first tell you some semi-relevant story a few weeks,months,years,etc... past -- right?
A story that's supposed to suggest why I'm so effected by an event that is about to take place or has taken place. Okay?

I get that this is the basis of fiction, but the narrator's dialogue and her way of drifting into explanation was annoying. I wanted to quit the
book a quarter of the way in, I finished it eventually, and I never once felt a connection to anyone in the book. Not the worst book I've ever read,
but it's certainly a forgettable one.
>>
Incredibly forgettable. It's genre fiction with nothing incredibly interesting going on with it's characterization, prose or dialogue. This is one of those rare cases of when something that's self-aware goes wrong.
>>
>>7698566
>effected

>'forgettable'
>remembers the specific prose style and dialogue

>>reading to relate to the characters
>>
>>7697683
Never got all the praise that this book got. Maybe this guy's other stuff is better, but Never Let Me Go was really dull
>>
>>7698576

>I'm affected.

>forgettable in terms of the story.
>how could one forget the style? It was one of the major annoyances of the book.

>connecting and relating are not the same thing. I don't particularly like Mr. Murdstone in DC,
>but he was a well written character.
>>
The book was written in such a fucking terrible way.
>this happened a long time ago
>oh and now I'm going to tell you about when this happened
>etc
I couldn't finish it. I got half way through and just said fuck it.
>>
File: 1446528847527.jpg (168 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1446528847527.jpg
168 KB, 375x500
Quietly a very good book.
And, after reading this thread, a new pleb litmus test.
>>
>>7698619
>annoyances

>reading for enjoyment

>>7698642
top pleb
>>
>>7697683
gay
>>
>>7697832
>anna karenina
exaggeratingtothehilt.com
>>
>>7698649
wow really quality reason to feel superior, because you know people have given valid reasons why they don't like it but we'll all take your word that it's a very good book and that you are above anyone who wasn't a fan of it.
>>
>>7698649
It's not though
You have shit taste
>>
>>7698701
wow you sure told him
>>
File: 1449020565320.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449020565320.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>>7698687
>>7698701
>>
>>7698668
Idk one of the best parts of that novel would be characterized as "y doesn't Bobby luv me ;_;" by these fucking people if they ever got that far in it.
>>
>>7698706
wow you sure showed him
>>
>>7698731
wow you sure showed him
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.