[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 21 years old, am i too old for reading this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 9780141182667.jpg (331 KB, 824x1370) Image search: [Google]
9780141182667.jpg
331 KB, 824x1370
I'm 21 years old, am i too old for reading this?
>>
>>7697038
No, but you might not be Irish enough.

If you read it in an Irish accent you might like it though.
>>
>>7697038
Of course not.

Of all the good reasons not to read it, that is not one of them.
>>
>>7697050
Well, i mean, in my first language the book is called 'Portrait of the Adolescent Artist', the adolescent part kind of turned me off
>>
>judging a book by its title
this is some next level retardedness. i would say you're too stupid to read that book if it weren't pleb shit.
>>
>>7697388
Where did Joyce touch you, anon?
>>
This is so obviously the worst board on 4chan.
>>
>>7697038
you're 21. not even a young man so no
>>
>>7697569
Not even a young man? What are 21 year olds supposed to be then?
>>
>>7697654
21 year olds are still kids and most are still in college. as a 21 year old you haven't had to deal with half the shit you will once you get in your later 20s. a young man would be 24/25+ (also must have a job or else is a manchild)
>>
>>7697388
>Pleb shit
Sounds like someone didn't understand
>>
>>7697060
How stupid could you possibly be to think that James Joyce is YA?
>>
>>7697809
>falling for bait
>>
>>7697809
That's not what i meant.
>>
>>7697038

Yes of course after you reach a certain age a book magically loses any meaning or impact it may have had on you. Looks like you will spend the rest of your days wondering about Joyce's younger days.
>>
>>7698505
Seems like you're the only one who understood my question, so thank you.
I wanted to go from this to Ulysses, but maybe i'll go directly to Ulysses. I don't know if i want to read about a time of the life that i already passed.
>>
>>7698541

Well, in my original post I was being a bit of a smartass. I'll share some of my experience, I'm 25, I read Portrait a year ago and found it thoroughly enjoyable. I do not feel that my appreciation of the book was lessened due to my being older than the age Joyce was portraying. If anything, quite the opposite, being older gave me greater appreciation for the adolescent angst he describes.
>>
>>7698556
Cool
What age is the character supposed to be?
>>
>>7698614

It progresses from his childhood and earliest memories to his university years. So 3-4 years old to early 20s.
>>
>>7697038
No, but it's his weakest work of fiction overall. Even Dubliners was better. I got through it in like 2 days though so it didn't matter.
>>
>>7697662
from what experience do you speak
>>
>>7698630
how is it his weakest? are you sure you just didn't personally enjoy it?
>>
>>7698641
I enjoyed all four of his main books, but Portrait was the least impressive one. It's an awkward in-between point between his more literal realism in Dubliners and his experiments with elevating the mundane in Ulysses and Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>7698625
If it goes to his early 20's, why wouldn't a 21 year old enjoy it?
>>
>>7697501
>what is /a/
>what is /v/
>>
>>7698660
Really the question should be why the fuck do you think you aren't allowed to read a book where the main character is younger than you?
>>
>>7699642
Do you really think /a/ and /v/ are the worst boards? I can't imagine you really think that.
>>
>>7699713
See >>7698541
>>
>>7697501
/tv/ is a shitposting cesspool
>>
>>7698541
It would be good for you to read it before Ulysses. I haven't read Portrait but from reading Ulysses and talking with people who study it there will be a couple of things that you will only understand if you have a background on it, or else you pay attention to a companion. I did a small course on Ulysses where they talked a lot about Daedalus and it helped me immensely to understand the first 3 chapters better.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.