[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pleb here I just read pic. Who is Mersault a stranger to? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: thestranger.jpg (43 KB, 324x499) Image search: [Google]
thestranger.jpg
43 KB, 324x499
Pleb here I just read pic. Who is Mersault a stranger to? Is it society or himself?
>>
Whatever you interpret it like.
>>
He's "estranged." It's why it's sometimes translated as The Outsider.

It's a story about a man with none of the arbitrary connections to life that make up being human.
>>
the books pretty blatantly obvious about itself. look at its opening line.

"Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure."

Apathy, detachment. Those are qualities that most people say are negative ones to have, but the book makes the appeal for you to try to understand that there are people who live outside of conventional ideology. He's a stranger to society, and he realizes through the weight of his punishment his own identity in relation to the society he coexisted with.

These are my thoughts three years after reading the book.
>>
>>7696573
Pretty much what the posters above mentioned. But you have to realize that Mearsault isn't apathetic per se. At the end he finds some existential meaning to life through the beauty of nature. He is outside of society due to his lack of empathy towards the current ideological frameworks that decides the moral basis of each human being. Because he is apathetic towards his family and life in general he is seen as an outsider; as non-human. But as the story progresses we see someone who definitely is human in all its beauty and in all its ugliness.
>>
>>7696703
Which is the priest at the end runs away, scared: he found peace within himself and the earth, something religion has shunned for the love of god!

And also Mersault screamed at him so I mean.
>>
>>7698521
And I also always felt the ending scene was supposed to be a reference to "The Brothers Karamazov". So you can see Mersault as a Christ like figure in that regard, which gives the book a strange sense.
>>
File: art2.jpg (18 KB, 337x308) Image search: [Google]
art2.jpg
18 KB, 337x308
>>7696596
>It's a story about a man with none of the arbitrary connections to life that make up being human.
>>
>>7698525
How do you figure that the ending referenced The Brothers Karamazov? Not attacking you, just genuinely want to pick your brain. I love both books and never put two and two together.
>>
>>7696596
don't give me that bullshit, he had a fucking gf, dude was a god damn normie, wanna read about a dude who's "estranged" read My Twisted World
>>
>stranger
>not foreigner
Retarded translation desu
>>
>>7698739
the real translation should be "the alienated"
>>
> tfw reading The Stranger and don't see anything wrong with his behavior or rationale

And that's the day I learned I'm a sperg
>>
>>7698892

You are save here with us.
>>
>>7698761
but etranger doesn't mean alienated
>>
>>7698761

Probably more "The Outsider" imo
>>
>>7698710
>>>/r9k/
>>
Mersault is a stranger to Sweden and Germany.
>>
>>7696596
>>7698739
>>7698761
Boy, i can tell you a) don't speak French or b) Try to make /lit/ think you do/are a smarty pants.
L'etranger, the stranger. FFS. Yes it could be a foreigner or 'estranged' but seriously. Un etranger is a stranger. Quit being translationsnobs.
>>
>>7696573
>Who is Mersault a stranger to? Is it society or himself?
You didn't read it properly if you're asking a question this stupid
>>
>>7701049
>Quit being translation snobs
>is a translation snob
>>
>>7698671
having a consciousness and being self aware doesn't make you human?
>>
>>7701060
I don't really think that giving the correct translation of a word is being a snob. Making up other fancier sounding translations makes you a snob.
>>
>>7701080
He meant make up being a human in the eyes of society
>>
Mersault is a stranger to empathy
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.