[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blood Meridian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: Judge.jpg (714 KB, 949x1200) Image search: [Google]
Judge.jpg
714 KB, 949x1200
>In his delirium he ransacked the linens of his pallet for arms but there were none. The judge smiled. The fool was no longer there but another man and this other man he could never see in his entirety but he seemed an artisan and a worker in metal. The judge enshadowed him where he crouched at his trade but he was a coldforger who worked with hammer and die, perhaps under some indictment and an exile from men's fires, hammering out like his own conjectural destiny all through the night of his becoming some coinage for a dawn that would not be. It is this false moneyer with his gravers and burins who seeks favor with the judge and he is at contriving from cold slag brute in the crucible a face that will pass, an image that will render this residual specie current in the markets where men barter. Of this is the judge judge and the night does not end.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7695429
sounds extremely pretentious and douchey. is this book held in high regard?
>>
>>7695443
It's not really about levels, dude.
>>
>>7695443
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Meridian

It is a rather difficult read, however.
>>
File: the judge.jpg (109 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
the judge.jpg
109 KB, 500x667
>>7695443
>>7695464
Yeah I just finished reading this last week and this part was weird to me. It's just about the only part of the whole book that words its phrases like this. Its definitely not indicative of the novel as a whole

BUT GODDAMMIT THAT FUCKING ENDING
>>
>>7695464
Blood Meridian isn't really that difficult, it's in most /lit/ starter kits for a reason.

t. guy who read Blood Meridian as an edgy high school kid
>>
>>7695464
>rather difficult

the reddit is real
>>
P U R P L E
R
O
S
E

The whole fucking thing.
>>
>>7695737
implying that's a bad thing
>>
>>7695720
>>7695735
it sure as hell isn't light beach reading
>>
>>7695744
what did you find hard about it?
>>
>>7695748
Why don't you give us your analysis on the portion quoted in the OP since you understand it so well?

You don't feel like using your knowledge to help people?
>>
>>7695720
>i read it in high school so it must be easy
>implying reading a book and understanding a book are the same thing
>implying /lit/ understands every book in the starter kit
>implying this wasnt dumb bait that got a response anyway
>>
>>7695737
>complaining about good prose
reddit-tier
>>
>>7695429
Not descriptive enough.
>>
>>7695429
How I understand it :
The judge has found a new companion to observe or play with or torture, whatever. For this man, the judge's validation in his impossible task, forging money without fire, would be his salvation, his "end of the night".
The judge denies it to him. The night does not end.
>>
>>7695802
This is an acceptable interpretation given the passage without context. Reading the novel reveals the importance of the absence of fire in the metal worker's forge, the relevance of the fact that he produces counterfeit money, and the portion of utmost importance - that the judge will always reject his false coin no matter how close the image comes to the genuine artifact.

There's a lot of complaining about reddit in here from people who are not nearly as knowledgeable about books as they believe. Typical /lit/. If you want to begin critical analysis of this dream and the rest of the book, start reading essays on Blood Meridian rather than relying on anonymous English undergrads.
>>
>>7695824

>f you want to begin critical analysis of this dream and the rest of the book, start reading essays on Blood Meridian rather than relying on anonymous English undergrads.

NO U
>>
File: char_132753.jpg (11 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_132753.jpg
11 KB, 210x240
>>7695464

>a rather difficult read, however.

wat

blood meridian by Cormac McCarthy is a difficult read?
>>
>>7695744
I read it on a Tennessee houseboat this summer, over two days of casting lines and watching filets brown on a griddle. Didn't put me off my meal in the slightest. Bit toothsome at the start though.
>>
>>7695936
True say, it's super fun to read. What the hell else do you guys read that makes BM difficult?

>dw Katniss Everdeen makes an appearance about 100 pages in
>>
File: the judge.png (52 KB, 1054x278) Image search: [Google]
the judge.png
52 KB, 1054x278
>>
>>7695429
the kid is hallucinating a coldforger making coins for a hypothetical war kingdom which the judge would rule when day comes, but because the night (war, the spirit of brutality is inherent in men) will not end, the judge will not be king. After all, the cycles of culling are carried out by the judge, him being a kig would be directly contrary to that, and that's kind of the point here. He easily could be a cruel emperor, he's bad enough and he has the chops, but he can't be on that side of the cycle
>>
>>7695748
Untranslated Spanish?
>>
>>7695429
The Judge is a false king, of a false world, with a false coinage, a mockery of the image of a king inspecting his royal mint. His system is the material world, the egoistic physical striving and reproduction of creatures in nature. This cannot exist without cyclical participants, like the circulation of coinage in an economy, and they are lured along by a promise (the dawn) which they do not realize is being rendered impossible by their very actions, perpetually trapped in the Judge's realm so long as they persist in appeasing it. The Judge is judge of this spellbound conformity to his order.
>>
Is there any real answer to what the fuck this book was about or is it all just speculation?
>>
>>7695748
Them big-ass words
>>
What books do my fellow Cormac readers recommend
>>
>>7698665
there's no real answer to anything anon
>>7699314
suttree
>>
>>7699319
How is the Vintage version of Suttree? I've heard wrt. to Pynchon that Vintage is bad publisher?

ISBN: 9780679736325
>>
>Sie mussen schlafen aber Ich muss tanzen

Is this the judge breaking the 4th wall? He knows German.

Also what does the epilogue mean?
>>
>>7698595
goddamn that's gnostic af
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.