[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/'s thoughts on this? Just picked it up for a great
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: belljar.jpg (45 KB, 432x648) Image search: [Google]
belljar.jpg
45 KB, 432x648
/lit/'s thoughts on this? Just picked it up for a great deal today, planning on getting to it soon.
>>
>>7695302
it's just the diary of a rich bitch who was scared of the dick, overrated to be honest famalam
>>
>>7695302
Her poetry is genuinely great, the bell jar is kind of average.
>>
>>7695302
The metaphor of the bell jar was poignant, though the actual plot was very underwhelming. Read Franny and Zooey instead.
>>
>>7695302
As soon as she starts getting depressed the book is pretty good. Both because I thought her view on things during the depression were spot on and because it was interesting how depression was treated at the time.
>>
i really don't get the point of these threads
>>
>>7695302
Pretty shitty to be honest with you family
>>
>>7695302
Great metaphors for people who have never read poetry before and are looking for nice quotes to post on their facebook profile
>>
>>7695302
its pretty good. /thread
>>
>>7696405
>/threading your own post
>>
>>7695302
I loved it
>>
File: tumblr_mcg5unm7wV1qadfqfo1_500.jpg (79 KB, 426x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcg5unm7wV1qadfqfo1_500.jpg
79 KB, 426x640
>>7695302
Its an ok book, especially if you liked Catcher in the Rye.

The amusing parts are in the insane asylum.
>>
>>7696909
Every broad just copies every other broad
>>
>>7696921
>implying this is limited by gender
>>
>>7696174
Memes
>>
>Who would have thought that an upper class, wealthy, liberal-arts-school educated white woman would be shallow and boring?
>>
first world problems the book
privilege the silent killer
>>
>>7698355
Sounds like the female version of /lit/
>>
>>7696166
Yeah the way shit was handled back then was wild and pretty damn scary. Im really into time pieces so this seeing how a girl was expected to live back then was neat too.
>>7696338
>looking for nice quotes to post on their facebook profile
This too, Im not ashamed though

Overall I thought it was great and the fact that it was a feminist catcher in the rye made me like it even more.
>>
>>7695302
I love Plath, but I hate her audience.
>>
>>7698650
>This is the people you discuss literature with
>>
>>7695302
I've never read it but it sounds boring. It seems like it was basically the kind of shitty memoir you could find stacks of at your local bookstore these days but it was the first of its kind (and the last in that she initially wrote it pseudonymously and it was treated as fiction even though it wasn't) because people used to have reservations about airing their dirty laundry.
>>
>>7695302
It's pretty good: she's detailed a believable portrayal of depression, including the irrationality and selfishness of the condition (she has a huge thing in the book for not being with a guy who isn't a virgin from what I remember).

Worth a read at least once. They should probably teach it to children in school but for some reason they don't; I think it'd help with developing children's appreciation and understanding of those who suffer with depression.
>>
>>7700083
It's basically a memoir with the names changed so of course it's believable.
>>
I liked the part where she slept around with older men. It gave me confidence as a guy in my late twenties going back to school to bang hot underclassmen.
>>
File: costanza.jpg (38 KB, 700x879) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
38 KB, 700x879
>>7700118
>tfw meeting with a 9/10 18yo kin major for sex regularly at university
>tfw late 20s

Believe in me who believes in you
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.