[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /lit/ hate The Hunger Games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: hungergamesOST_wp.jpg (61 KB, 660x411) Image search: [Google]
hungergamesOST_wp.jpg
61 KB, 660x411
I've checked it myself. Read it whole in a day.
Skimmed through the tedious.

>simple literature
>straight-forward
>one or other character is likeable
>juvenile but decent in comparison to Harry Potter
>it is inspiring for people who don't know literature

I did not hate The Hunger Games. It is just average. Like most commercial literature.

Why is it always hated by the critiques in /lit/?

(Honestly I've enjoyed it more than Parts 1 and 2 of The Idiot)
>>
Let me guess, The Idiot is the only other book you read.
>>
It is just a bad book with an unoriginal story and bad writing. Something that is easily sold to kids/"YA readers".
It is the average crap you can expect from mainstream literature.
>>
Of the young adult books I've read I thought they were some of the worst, and then quality when downhill dramatically with the last book
>>
>>7694277
/lit/ hates all commercial literature. Unless you just came out of that one scifi/fantasy containment thread.
>>
We don't even talk about those books.
>>
>>7694277

The "first wave" if you will of YA fantasy/sci-fi (Harry Potter, Abhorsen, Artemis Fowl, Golden Compass) when YA fantasy was just becoming a big phenomenon was actually producing good books for what they were. The "second wave" of books like Twilight and Hunger Games were less good. John Green is probably the best YA author of any genre currently.
>>
>>7694277
I don't hate The Hunger Games itself, I hate the fact that it inspired cheap knockoffs like Maze Runner
>>
>>7694517
How the hell is Harry Potter YA anyway? It's basically a children's book, like The Hobbit was before.
>>
>>7694988
rowling transitioned from children's lit to ya

note that deathly hallows is probably the worst book in the series.

fuck it

3 > 6 > 5 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 7
>>
>>7694494
We hate commercial fantasy too.
>>
>>7694517
>Abhorsen
My absolute nigga. I loved those books when I was a teen. If I went back and read them now I might not like the soppy lirael parts but it was great when I first read them
>>
>>7694277
teenage-baby version of 1984
but here is the problem:
anyone can and should read 1984
>>
>>7694517
God, Golden Compass was my favorite book back in the day. I still hold it really dear.
Is it YA though? Looks more like children's lit
>>
>>7694277
>Read it whole
>Skimmed
>still believes his opinion is worth sharing
Even for YA garbage, this is pathetic.
>>
>>7696134
The whole of His Dark Materials was my favourite book series as a kid; really set me on a path of loving fantasy, alternate reality/ history
>>
>>7696129
>1984

Try blatantly plagiarized Battle Royale and The Running Man with added dystopia
>>
>>7696404
>Try blatantly plagiarized Battle Royale
>BLATANTLY PLAGARIZED BATTLE ROYALE

SHE IS A FUCKING CUNT western audiences just need everything spelling out for them and even the it's wasted on them because the west is ruining everything for everyone anyway this is why we can't have nice things
>>
>>7694277
It is literally plagarized Battle Royale without the most engaging aspect (the fact that the contestants are school children of the same class, friends, have grown up together) + the whole adult indoctrination of the young theme

except it has to be spelt out for western audiences and spoon fed to them

+ the irony of literature like this being made into movies

stressss
>>
>>7697957
>>7698021
>>7696404
>REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7696388
I read the two first books a few years ago, knowing nothing about it, unaware of memes and hatred, and it was terrible.
People have to be mentally degraded to actually consider this as good. It's not even enjoyable. It's supposed to be brutal and murderous but it isn't. No interesting insights as well, a mundane teen narration about a dystopia of lady gaga breeds. Pseudo criticism of pop culture and superficiality that is in itself commercial entertainment for stupid highschool girls.
>>
>>7697957
>>>/jp/
>>
because people don't actually know how to 'critique' anything and they just like to posture anonymously while unquestioningly accepting the tastes of people who look like they know what they're talking about
>>
the movies are fun, idrc about the books
>>
File: 1425969138559.png (65 KB, 195x200) Image search: [Google]
1425969138559.png
65 KB, 195x200
because a large percentage of /lit/ users are teenagers who want to appear contrarian and mature. They're not quite at the sophomoric undergrad stage yet. These fags for example still have a ways to go:

>>7697957
>>7698021

By the way "The Hunger Games" has more in common with the Minotaur and the Athenian youth tributes than your edgy weaboo movie.
>>
File: guy-debord.jpg (244 KB, 541x600) Image search: [Google]
guy-debord.jpg
244 KB, 541x600
>>7699213
implying one matures into literature like the fucking hunger games

THAT'S FUNNY
>>
>>7699213
hahah your pweshus author obviously has to claim something influenced it and here you parroting that, she's not exactly going to cite the work from which it was blatantly plagiarised
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.