[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The >I bought this book but never got around to reading it thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: yNlQWRM.jpg (865 KB, 1813x2111) Image search: [Google]
yNlQWRM.jpg
865 KB, 1813x2111
The
>I bought this book but never got around to reading it
thread
>>
resurrection - tolstoy
infinite jest - dfw
the plague - camus
>>
>buy interesting books
>never get around to reading them
>put them on your bookshelf anyway

I am become fraud, destroyer of wallet.
>>
>>7694246
Everybody does this when enthusiastic about books, just try to mellow it down to your reading habit...
>>
>Also Sprach Zarathustra
>Menschliches Allzumenschliches
>Der Prozeß
>Some book about Hinduism I bought from a monk for 2 bucks

Which one of these should I pick up again?
Never read Nietzsche before, I detest his writing-style (native German here).
>>
>>7694602
Der Process sollte, zumindest sprachlich, recht schnell und einfach zu lesen sein.
>>
>A balcony in the forest - Gracq
>Letters to a young poet - Rilke

Which one should I read first?
>>
>>7694216

15 or so. I don't think I'm ever going to actually read Gravity's Rainbow. I was incredibly high on memes when I bought it. Comedown was terrible.
>>
>>7694216

Ulysses
Finnegans Wake
Gravity's Rainbow
Infinite Jest
War & Peace
In Search of Lost Time
Bleak House
The Bible
Middlemarch
Underworld
The Tale of Genji
>>
>Complete Poe
I've read the core stories and I couldn't give a fuck about the rest.
>Song of Fire and Ice
Was a gift, never gonna touch it.
>Rant by Palahniuk
I never got around to it when I was pleb enough to like that stuff, and I don't think I'll get to it now.
>The Western Canon
The list in the back is awesome but the actual book part is insufferable, Bloom can't write for an audience.
>The Once And Future King
eh
>Libra
Underworld was a massive disappointment for me so I've pushed all interest in Delillo all the way down.
>The Corrections
Oprah
>The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
no interest in gay jews anymore
>Complete stories of JG Ballard, Hemingway
I actually like these but I'm awful with these big short story collections.
>Complete Sherlock
same I guess
>Norton Anthology of Postmodern Poetry
there's only so much you can do with poems about feces

I've got a whole backlog but these I don't think I'll be near anytime soon
>>
>>7694246
T. Everyone in the bookshelf threads. Unbroken spines ahoy.
>>
>>7694640
Oh and I almost forgot
>Don Quijote
I thought I could approach it with my toddler's understanding of spanish and got my teeth kicked in.
>>
>>7694610
Langweilt mich aber zu Tode, habe bereits einige seiner anderen Werke gelesen, aber ich muss wirklich mit mir selbst kämpfen um irgendeine Art von Genuss während des Lesens dieses Buches schöpfen zu können.
>>
>>7694216
I counted last week (since I quit my job and can't buy books for a while) and I'm at 246 unread (non-reference/dictionary) books, maybe 5 of them are borrowed.

The others are all from free book exchanges or Goodwill, though--the only books that I paid retail for but haven't gotten to yet are Dissensus by Rancière and Foucault's History of Madness, because I want to hit those with the right momentum.
>>
File: my backlog.jpg (109 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
my backlog.jpg
109 KB, 500x667
>get a pile of old books from family
>order them into three nice looking bookshelfs
>thinking of finally starting to read them
>discover how comfy epubs are
>have downloaded over 30 huge books from then
>can't discuss books with anyone irl because no one has heard of my /lit/core books
>can't stop reading /lit/core books and read non-virtual bookshelf because shit is fun and the memes are real
>let's not forget the procastrination and the ever nearing exams
>>
>>7694661
Musst weiter ausbrechen. Die drei genannten sind zwar Klassiker und auf gutem Grund, aber wenn sie dich nicht interessieren kriegst du nichts davon. Lies das, was dir das Schlafen raubt, weil du immer zu spät weiterlesen willst. Sei es Sinnlosigkeitsliteratur, Formexperimente wie Grass oder Dürrenmatt, das Nibelungenlied auf Mittelhochdeutsch, oder übersetzte ausländer, fang mal irgendwo an und eines Tages bist du imstande, die Stilfeinheiten von Nietzsche und Kafka zu schätzen, die beide auf gewissen Grundrisse und Hintergründe setzen und teilweise redifinieren.

Aber ja egal, stimme mit >>7694602 zu: bleib mitm Fränzli bis du mal das Humor genießt, die Humor ist wirklich die lobbarste Erringung vom Proceß.
>>
>>7694216
Happy ending:

Bought Vandenburg by Oliver Lange (pseudonym) and didn't read it for 15-20 yrs. finally broke down and read it. Turned out it is one of the best books -- on a man's struggle to escape from a psychiatric prison and remain free after successful Soviet takeover of the US. Very little dramatic action except near the very end, but beautifully written. Set in New Mexico, USA. Protagonist is artist, single dad. It gave me feelings!
>>
>>7694216
Histories
Meditations (does it count if I've read the whole thing but not all at once)
East of Eden
Kite Runner
Introductory Aristotle
Dec 25, 1991: The Last Day of the Soviet Union
The Iliad
>>
Pretty much every book I've bought in the past couple months
>>
>Hitler, 2 vols., Kershaw
I don't mind Kershaw's writing but I just get way too bogged down in all the politics and terminology.
>Le Morte Darthur
About as entertaining as drywall, archaic
>King Lear
Watching it performed is more appealing
>Bouvard and Pecuchet
It's impressive how much work Flaubert put into this book, but the goofy premise wears off quickly
>The Robe, Douglas
Meh, bought it when I was still into Catholicism
>Gulag Archipelago
Meh, after Applebaum's book I'm kinda done
>Paradise Lost
I'm a pleb and would prefer to read it in an academic setting with commentary
>England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings, Bartlett
Useful as a paperweight
>>
>>7694216

The Pale King

Dubliners
>>
Gravity's Rainbow
The art of war
Hungary in the first world war
Almost all the books of P.Howard.
at least they were fucking cheap
>>
The Origin of Species
>>
I take a book whenever I see one I like. My room is full of books I didn't even touch after getting them.
>>7694246
You can just not pay for them.
>>
Great Gatsby. Cost like $2, I tried reading it but was spoiled about some parts of it and in the end found myself not caring. Threw it away.

I might try again someday, but I wouldn't purchase it.
>>
>>7694806
Histories by whom shithead? Everybody and his mother wrote a set of histories in the ancient world.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.