[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished writing my novella today that I started writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 1452665817095.jpg (297 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1452665817095.jpg
297 KB, 1920x1200
Just finished writing my novella today that I started writing six months ago guys. I'm in a super good mood.
How are your novels/novellas going guys, have you finished any?
>>
I'm barely started, like twenty pages of the first draf, ı really need to set up a writing routine/habit.

What's your novel about, Anon?
>>
>>7691512
It's about a taxi driver that continues to drive around the city, hoping to stumble upon a customer that 'saved' his life five years ago.
I never had a routine for this, unlike my other things, and only wrote it when I was feeling depressed, so it's also quite depressing.
What's yours about anon?
>>
>>7691533
Sounds boring
>>
>>7691550
thanks
>>
>>7691533
I'll disagree. Sounds interesting. I'm imagining it to be in the form of vignettes, really. A short inner monologue and then a conversation with a passenger. The conversations all addressing things from the totally banal to the vapid but seemingly important (what I mean by this is things like "misgendering" being seen as a huge problem in America by some people - really a nonissue, but the minority it affects is so loud we are forced to take note, in a way) to the truly profound. I'd like it best if the taxi driver does finally meet this man that saved his life. I'd like it even better if this man that saved his life was a fucking asshole. A Heart of Darkness style ending - a search for something so meaningful and powerful that in the end is nothing but a shell, an idea.
>>
>>7691562
Nice try OP
>>
>>7691533
i'd read it if it was less than 50 pages
>>
>>7691572
It's not OP man.
>>7691573
I would agree, it definitely isn't something that could be lengthy unless you work in stories within the story. For instance, a passenger telling the driver a story. Otherwise it could get a bit stale.
>>
>>7691562
>>7691466
same
>>
File: 1441681005040.jpg (1 MB, 1225x1500) Image search: [Google]
1441681005040.jpg
1 MB, 1225x1500
>>7691533
It's an anti-epic set in an alt history world, dealing with any sort of themes ı can organically introduce, as well as a love letter to many of the genres ı enjoy; it deals mainly with the coming of age of a young aristocrat and the catastrophes that he sets into motion trying to escape responsibility.
It seems ı'm finally starting to get into what kind of style ı want to write it in.
>>
>>7691572
Yeah, wasn't OP, I'm OP, lel
>>
File: image.png (267 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
267 KB, 750x1334
>>7691580
Suck my dick familia
>>
>>7691573
Yeah, it's finished, it's 46 pages on word, 11pt Arial, I'm submitting it into a novella competition in May. Any longer and it would really start to get boring
>>
>>7691598
Will you tell me if my idea of the plot is close or not
>>
>>7691562
It's kind of like that anon. Except it goes more into MCs personal background, rather than simple conversations from customers.
Well, the main point of the story is that when MC finds her he realises she's just another normal person, and doesnt live up to the reverence he gave her, it's about placing one's own meaning onto things that are inherently meaningless
>>
>>7691598
46 pages is more of a short story than a novella.
>>
>>7691609
It's 27k
>>
>>7691607
Word I like that shit, sounds cool man.
>>
>>7691611
Thanks, hopefully it wins the competition, and if it does i'll be sure to post a link to it on here in the future
>>
>>7691609
No, it's not.
>>
>>7691618
If it doesn't would you be willing to post it still? I'd like to read it sometime, sounds cool.
>>
>>7691582
I like that premise, I've tried to develop stories with similar premises, but I can never get beyond the initial idea. I think the hardest part about a story like that is not making MC too annoying to the reader.
I hope it works out for you anon
>>
>>7691622
I'll see anon, I'd still like to see if I can get it published somewhere else if I dont win the comp, and if none of that works out, I might just post it online somewhere, which i would then of course link /lit/ to, but that probably won't happen for at least a year
>>
I'm in the final stretch of my latest project, a short novel about a mysterious city where everything is permanently stuck in a vaporwave-esque 1990s paradise - and the young woman who keeps on coming from the dead every time it kills her. It's been super fun. I've shared bits of it on /lit/ before to some praise, which has helped keep me motivated. This final act is kind of tricky though.
>>
>>7691635
Sounds very cool, as long as you've successfully achieved aesthetic and atmosphere
>>
>>7691623
Yeah, ı know where you're coming from; a thing about it is that, as the story develops the protagonist becomes less and less "mundane", shifting the focus from how he is affected to how he affects others and things, ironically becoming the Great Man he wanted to avoid being.

>>7691635
I've seen you before, ı'm excited read the first 4chancore/vaporwave novel to be desu.
>>
>>7691667
lol@the pic
yeah that's really good then, that's how the story arc should flow i reckon, you've thought this through
>>
File: 1453831385233.jpg (251 KB, 858x952) Image search: [Google]
1453831385233.jpg
251 KB, 858x952
>>7691677
Thanks. Well, ı could keep talking about it but ı'd rather not intrude your thread and also reveal all my secrets. Good luck Anon, and do make a thread when/if you get published.
>>
>>7691708
Thanks anon! I definitely will
>>
>>7691609
Short stores are no more than like 15 pages the fuck
>>
>>7692223
If you didn't have sweet dubdubs I'd smack you upside the head, fool
>>
>>7692268
Nah. Short stories are supposed to be, you know, short.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.