[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw uni prof calls DFW a "talented but minor writer"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 683482.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
683482.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>mfw uni prof calls DFW a "talented but minor writer"
>minor writer
>minor

Should I drop out?
>>
>>7691443
Low quality b8
>>
>>7691443
he's right.
>>
>>7691443
Yes, you should drop out. Calling such a minor writer "talented" is just bullshit.
>>
>>7691443

name 5 notable authors who were influenced by DFW
>>
>>7691443
who is DFW

>this is not bait
>>
>my prof triggered me by presenting an opinion i don't agree with but can't argue against
>>
>>7691470
there are no notable authors anymore, maybe if DFW did not happen to live at the tail end of the 'literature' as an institution, he could've been pretty influential.
>>
>>7691489
This is exactly what they've said since the beginning of time, why do you think that your lifetime is special?
>>
>>7691470

Tao Lin
John Green
Dave Eggers
Don DeLillo (I know he's been writing before DFW, but Underworld is obviously inspired by IJ)

I can't name a fifth one because, as said before, it's kind of recent, but just you wait, in 200 years there will be so much writers who owe great debts to DFW.
>>
dfw wrote about tv...tv was irrelevant before he even fucking died, can u imagine how fucking irrelevant that shit will be to people in another 200 years? this is also why corny emm effs who think they gonna make some great book about internet culture are sadly mistaken
>>
>>7691493
He's not saying that our lifetime is "special"
Its just that there are soooo many writers in this age, many of them draw from the same influences, so its more difficult for voices to be pronounced these days.
>>
>>7691493
the way the internet pretty much destroyed the concepts of relevance, influence and who a 'writer' is, the difference between 'literature', 'text content' and 'multimedia content'...
>>
File: mailer-capote-laughing.jpg (157 KB, 475x510) Image search: [Google]
mailer-capote-laughing.jpg
157 KB, 475x510
>>7691511
>but just you wait, in 200 years there will be so much writers who owe great debts to DFW.
>>
>>7691511
>Underworld is obviously inspired by IJ
>Holy upon holiness
>>
dfw is like ayn rand, he wrote a best seller that plebs think is deep cuz its long as shit and not completely retarded, but clearly he is not a serious writer
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 320x227) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 320x227
>talking to guy in class
>think he might be a /lit/ user
>ask him if he knows DFW
>ask him if he watched the Charlie Rose interview
>pretty sure he might be on /lit/
>can't tell

Are you on /lit/
>>
>>7691549
Yes I am, hello fellow classmate
>>
>>7691549
Don't listen to >>7691567, he's pretending to be me. I'm the guy in your class and I don't browse /lit/.
>>
>>7691518
'the novel' as a form of 'literature' is a product of a time when text content was replicated by the printing press and distributed via 'books'. no text content creator has so far managed to deal with this cataclysmic shift in text distribution.
>>
>>7691511
>in 200 years there will be so much writers who owe great debts to Gaddis, Pynchon, and other authors DFW ripped off
ftfy
>>
>>7691612
>in a few years, content creators will be able to distill the totality of human experience into highly absorbing multisensory infobursts calibrated to boost the morale of algorithmically targeted proles.
>>
>>7691511
>Underworld is obviously inspired by IJ
I literally laughed out loud at this.
>>
>>7691587
go to bed benedict
>>
>>7691443
This happened as much as the last professor & DFW thread happened
>>
File: we wuz kangz.jpg (38 KB, 575x285) Image search: [Google]
we wuz kangz.jpg
38 KB, 575x285
>>7691637
yfw they already do that
>>
>>7691650
You do realize that DeLillo read Infinite Jest as it was being written, right? You do know that, right? Jesus, these new posters...
>>
>>7691812

DeLillo also corresponded with DFW, which just further proves the connection.
>>
>>7691889
Have you read Underworld? It makes IJ look like a hormonal diary.. Comparing the two is offensive
>>
>>7691511
so you think underworld was written and published in one year?
>>
File: images.jpg (19 KB, 266x400) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19 KB, 266x400
>>7692050
and this baby makes both of them look like YA
>>
>>7691612
dis one

Gaddis is the most important American author since Melville
>>
>>7692076
>what is YA
still new here
>>
>>7691443
>Should I drop out?
you don't have the gall
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.