[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I just marathoned the first page of pic related and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 8117HB7WbvL.jpg (303 KB, 1400x2092) Image search: [Google]
8117HB7WbvL.jpg
303 KB, 1400x2092
Hey /lit/, I just marathoned the first page of pic related and I'm extremely unimpressed so far. It's like I'm reading a history book or something. Did I fall for the meme or does it get better?
>>
Also can someone check my digits please? Thanks in advance.
>>
This is the best thread on /lit/ right now
>>
>>7691111
> marathoned the first page
>>
>>7691111

nice quads
>>
Did you mean marathon the first part?
>>
To be honest you pretty much get a feel for the whole novel from the first page, and you don't really learn anything particularly useful about the storyline or themes from that point onwards. So I think it's pretty fair to say that you've read this book and exposed for the garbage it is.

t. expert in Russian literature
>>
>>7691111

It's the translation. A single page of P&V feels like a thousand.
>>
>>7691177
i wouldn't call it garbage. i think the elder is portrayed as a saint in a very romantic way. the other characters have a depth them, and are described in a way that you it either feels like you knew for a long time, or that you get an isight into how certain people tick.

i fink is good, not god tier
>>
>reading Dostoyevsky
>when you could read Tolstoy or Gogol
>>
>>7691183
What translation do you like?
>>
>he didn't get the Ignat Avsey translation

top pleb
>>
>>7692639
I stopped after reading 1/4th of dead souls, it was so fucking boring. And I hated the prose.

Of course it was a translation.
>>
>>7692682
P&V dead souls is like eating a bowl of shit

guerney/fusso is best
>>
>>7692693
It wasn't in english it was in french.
>>
>>7692705
oh ok, well my point still stands for english
>>
>>7691111

>translation
>>
Spoiler: it's not a thriller
>>
>>7691177
If you don't fall for Dostoyevsky, you are too stupid to understand Dostoyevski. But if you are too stupid to understand Dostoyevsky and you deny his geniust too, then you have to kill yourself.
>>
>>7691111
Dostoevsky was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7691111
>>7691111
Dostoyevsky sets up the characters' relations for you, since it's fairly confusing to follow after about 150 pages.

Also, he's showing that his characters are archetypes of the strands of intellectual thought in Russia at the time. Ivan is a nihilist, for example.
>>
>translation

No wonder you aren't impressed.
>>
I thought this was literature's greatest book.

Why is everything from Dostoievski a meme?

Is he a meme author?

I thought he was better than Tolstoi in /lit/'s scale. I even bought Karamazov, Crime & Punishment, the Idiot and Letters because of all the memes.

Isn't he best literature? I spent a 1/6 of a paycheck on him.
>>
>>7691177
This guy has a lot of knowledge, listen to him. He's probably got a lot of, uh, Lamborghinis in his garage
>t. Tai Lopez
>>
>>7694203
He certainly is the deepest of them philosophically.
>>
If you want to read Dostoiesvki, read the Joseph Frank's biography. You can't understand dosto without knowing his life. If you're french, read the andré markowicz's traduction
>>
>>7694203
>Dostoevsky better than the greatest novelist of the 19th century

WAKE
ME
UP
>>
>Dostoevsky
>Dostoyevsky
>Dostoyevski
>Dostoevski
>Dostoievski
Can't you just decide on one and stick with it?
>>
Dostoevsky is an older equivalent of those /pol/ comics when you make up a story with retarded characters to discredit an idea you don't like, mainly because you can't do it in a concise coherent way
>>
>>7696512
That's an awfully convoluted way to say he's making strawman arguments.
>>
It's overrated. It's too long for its own good. The book is so intriguing at times and then can be unnecessarily dull for a couple chapters at a time. I forced myself to read through those parts and definitely thought a complete read through was worth it. It is an epic book. Yes, I said epic.

Chances are though... taking this post literally, if you could barely stand the first page, don't read on.
>>
>>7696512
When will Nabakov plebs leave?
>>
File: 7368479.jpg (56 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
7368479.jpg
56 KB, 309x475
>>7691111

it's the greatest book ever written in my opinion.

I read this in 6 fucking days! yes 6 days, i couldn't lay it down, it's fucking awesome, especially the last third of it, and the court scene part.

no words can describe it. it has everything!

READ IT!
>>
File: 1450982553163.jpg (219 KB, 1273x1024) Image search: [Google]
1450982553163.jpg
219 KB, 1273x1024
>>7698297
>Editorial Presença
Tuga spotted
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.