[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Use-mention distinction. Do you guys know how to properly use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: the man, the myth, the legend.jpg (620 KB, 2772x2589) Image search: [Google]
the man, the myth, the legend.jpg
620 KB, 2772x2589
Use-mention distinction.

Do you guys know how to properly use quotation marks?

>David Foster Wallace is named "David Foster Wallace".
>>
>7678546
"Yes"
>>
But of course, OP.

London is made of 6 letters.
Define Barrack Obama.
Sex is a word.
>>
>>7678589
London is made of six letters drawn on a map; the city no longer exists outside of the abstract.
It's unfair to define Barack Obama by his race over his performance as president.
Sex is a word whispered in one's ear, a light kiss on the neck, and a feeling of incredible intimacy.
>>
>>7678589
i think you forgot the quotation marks, because those are all backwards

>London is a city
>"London" has 6 letters
>Sex is an act
>"Sex" is a word
>"Barack Obama" is the name of the current president of the USA, Barack Obama.
>>
>>7678546
No, i wasnt taught proper english grammar growing up, so i still make mistakes
>>
>>7678639
>ironically get all wrong on purpose
>he doesn't get it
>proceeds to correct them all

Please mutilate yourself.

>>7678602
Only the second one works here, since 'define' is an equivocal word.
>>
>>7678546
I don't get it. What is this about?
>>
>>7678646
>please mutilate yourself

Who hurt you?

>>7678651
patrician things. the use-mention distinction is a philosophical concept; understanding it is crucial to one's ability to make meaningful statements.
>>
>>7678683
It's not a concept, it's a function from words to names of these words. Nor is it "crucial" to one's ability to make meaningful statements. It's a trivial little thing that most first-year undergrads pick up in their first philosophy of language class. Stop fantasizing about trivialities like these and develop your problem-solving skills if you ever want to succeed and make a name for yourself in contemporary analytic philosophy. You won't derive the axioms of ZFC from an obscure little system of mereology like David Lewis did by spending your time on a Chinese image board. Just fucking quit fantasizing and get good; get really, really good. I recommend getting a MSc, or at least a BSc, in Mathematics.
>>
>>7678708
I'm actually a law student, and I did pick it up in a 1st year undergrad philosophy class.

Just figured I'd share it with /lit/. I tutor undergrads and you would not believe how many of them put words in quotations in their papers to add emphasis, when they should be restructuring the sentence or finding the correct words to describe what they want to say. The error is, in my opinion, an extension of the "very" or "really" syndrome. For example, when people write "very good" or "really good" when they should be using "great".
>>
>>7678757
go to bed Robin Williams.
>>
>>7679794
savagery
"butt hurt" entering brand new fucking tiers.
>>
>>7678757
Can't tell if you have autism or took too many stimulants
>>
File: hanna.jpg (278 KB, 1280x943) Image search: [Google]
hanna.jpg
278 KB, 1280x943
>>7679816

I don't think you understand autism; it's the inability to communicate. An articulate post like >>7678757 that concisely conveys a clear meaning demonstrates the opposite of autism.
>>
File: Martin-Heidegger-001.jpg (122 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
Martin-Heidegger-001.jpg
122 KB, 1200x720
“spirit”
>>
in England we use single quotation marks

'my peenus weenus of course'
>>
>>7678546
Doesn't punctuation go inside quotation marks? Or is that not the case with proper nouns?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.