[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1984-book9.jpg (48 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
1984-book9.jpg
48 KB, 308x475
What went wrong?
>>
File: institut.jpg (41 KB, 428x327) Image search: [Google]
institut.jpg
41 KB, 428x327
>>7676769
>>
orwell had tb when he wrote it
>>
>>7676769

An imbalance of power
>>
>>7676769
With what? The book itself? I guess you could argue Orwell's prose is very easily accessible but that comes down to his working-class straight-to-the-point attitude.

Do you mean the legacy of the book? I guess what would've gone wrong there is that, because the theme is so universal and highly regarded as important, many people claim to have read the book when they haven't and just wing any discussion regarding it because they've heard of "big brother" before, therefore prompting them to not bother reading it at all.

It's fair enough if you don't like the book after having read it or attempted to read it but I think we can all agree that a book like 1984, as influential as it is, should at least be given a chance.

That, in my opinion, is what went wrong.
>>
>>7678845
The themes are so one-dimensional, bland, and it seems like Orwell isn't self-aware at all.
Tyranny = bad

Gee, thanks Orwell, we had no idea.
There really is no theme; it's just anti-authoritarian propaganda. He never really explains why Big Brother is evil, or what the alternative situation without Ingsoc would be. For all we know, it would be worse.
>>
>>7676769
This book's story is literal dog shit. The concept is nice though
>>
File: Geneviève Castrée 3.jpg (29 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Geneviève Castrée 3.jpg
29 KB, 450x300
>American sees something he doesn't like
>Calls it Orwellian
Fuck 1984
>>
>>7679053
>please keep me under surveillance all the time and carefully control everything I do and see
>>
>>7679132
>When is my '1984 is not an instruction manual' shirt coming in the mail?
>>
>>7679053
I'm sorry friend but it's like you haven't read the book. All of those issues are addressed.
>>
>>7676769

Nothing went wrong

everything was under control the whole time

the evidence of corruption is false

We Are The Dead
>>
Winston is a literal cuck
>>
File: 1454824448123.jpg (14 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1454824448123.jpg
14 KB, 251x242
>being a slut is good
>>
>>7676769
I liked it. The ending was awesome. Probably the best part. The whole affair "i love you let's fuck in the woods" thing was kinda random.
I like brave New world better, people always compare the two. Huxley is one of my favorite writers though.
>>
>>7681447
Ending was shit
>>
>>7680540
>being a slut is bad
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.