[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do you get your ebooks, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8
Where do you get your ebooks, /lit/?
>>
>>7670151
The Warsaw pact countries
>>
>>7670151
Project Gutenberg
>>
bookzz or what.cd
>>
>looking to get a kindle
>it doesn't handle pdf files well, slow as shit
>it doesn't read epub files

What the fuck is this thing good for, I just wanna read books.
>>
>>7670172

Send as azw3 from PC to Kindle, you stupid sod.
>>
>>7670179
So I'll have to convert every file? lame
>>
>>7670186
No, you use calibre then you set it up to autoconvert and send it to your kindle by email, so all you do is just press a button
>>
>>7670186

converting from epub to mobi takes literally a second in calibre
>>
>>7670172
Why would you get a Kindle instead of a Kobo?
>>
>>7670172
>>it doesn't read epub files
>>7670179
>azw3 from PC to Kindle
>>7670186
>convert every file
>>7670195
>use calibre

is it too hard to make an e-reader that isn't a pain in the ass to deal with ? when i bought an mp3 i just have to transfer my music to it and that's all
>>
>>7670259

converting takes literally seconds. stop being a lazy piece of shit.
>>
>>7670259
>when i bought an mp3 i just have to transfer my music to it and that's all
I can bet you didn’t buy an Apple product.
>>
>>7670259
Kindle isn't the only ebook yo.
>>
>>7670266
yeah but sometimes the result is shit

>>7670268
Apple what ?
>>
>>7670273
>yeah but sometimes the result is shit
Only if you convert from pdf
>>
>>7670259
>being this much of a whiny bitch
seriously, i have 500 books on my kindle and all i have is one program, plug my kindle into my computer, open the program, click "add selected book to kindle" then click "remove kindle" and then I read. I can do this for hundreds of books at once. I have a physical library, and my kindle for travel. it's a very simple tool, and you're a fucking moron if you think that plug, click, and play is too complex.
>>
>>7670277
exactly. I have never had a problem converting from epub into mobi/azw3. it's fucking pisseasy.
>>
>>7670259
Exactly what I'm thinking.
>>
>>7670283
This, man
Fucking faggots these days, can literally get lit books for free, still cry like a bitch for clicking 2 buttons, my father worked when he was 14 and could afford 1 book each 60 days and would read it in 10 days, so stop being a faggot
>>
>>7670277
>from pdf

large part of my e-book are pdf.

>>7670283
>my kindle into my computer, open the program, click "add selected book to kindle" then click "remove kindle" and then I read

That's all i'm asking for. Good for you if it's so easy but not the case for everybody and it's not about bitching around. e-reader can be better if they were more simple to use.
>>
File: 1446974095965.jpg (19 KB, 720x303) Image search: [Google]
1446974095965.jpg
19 KB, 720x303
>>7670311
>large part of my e-book are pdf.
>>
>>7670311
>large part of my e-book are pdf
Then unless you're willing/able to get the same books in ebook format, ereaders are probably not for you.
>>
Ayy, question. Can I put my books into folders or something on my Kobo. At the moment I'm deleting excess ones because sifting through them gets hard.
>>
Is 4gb enough? seems like it won't last
>>
>>7670272
Uhuhuhuhu yo
>>
>>7670391
a book is text dude, they're like 200kb each
>>
>>7670391
I have like 70 books on my kindle right now and 3,7GB left.
>>
>>7670151
Wow what a cool case for the Kindle, I wonder what it cos-
>$40

Amazon are fucking jews
>>
I didn't even had to take books from my computer, I found enough free books on kindle store to keep me reading for a long ass time
>>
File: IMG_20160207_204609.jpg (72 KB, 714x654) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160207_204609.jpg
72 KB, 714x654
>>7670404
>>
>>7670439
Why are you reading childrens picture books?
>>
>>7670447
>>7670447
Because I like pictures snepai ahag
>>
>>7670416
Just get something from eBay
>>
>>7670254
It makes me suspicious how much kindle is shilled on here. Kobo is a better ereader, imo.
>>
>>7670646
But it isn't. Paperwhite is the best value for money.
>>
>>7670259
Calibre is a great open source program that you would use to manage your ebooks anyways. You literally just click "send as file type azw3" and it says "sure!".

If you could only find a mobi version of a book you wanted on bookzz you would be equally hamstrung you lazy shit.
>>
>>7670646
>it makes me suspicious
Amazon takes a loss on its ereaders, they make their money on overpriced digital books, which we all pirate.
>>
>>7670650
Why?
>>
Do I need to stay offline if I pirate some books on the kindle? from what I understand the dictionary doesn't work if you're offline
>>
>>7670311
>large part of my e-book are pdf.
You would be better off with a samsung or ipad. No hate, I love textbooks too. PDF is sub-optimal for e-ink
>>
>>7670165
>>
>>7670416
I bought mine at the local drugstore for 3.99
>>
>>7670667
the dictionary works offline and no you dont have to stay offline
>>
>>7670667
No. And the dictionary does work, the thing that doesn't work is looking up stuff on wikipedia obviously.
>>
>>7670663
Cnet just had their annual reviews, and gizmodo obsesses over it I know fuck gawker.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/ereaders/best-e-book-readers/

Right now the voyage is a great piece of tech, but its expensive. It has tons of memory and options tho
>>
>>7670667
>go on my amazon account
>recommended books based off pirated books
but yeah they dont send the amazon police to your house.
>>
>>7670662
>which we all pirate
Fuck you for not supporting writers.
>>
>>7670687
>>recommended books based off pirated books
That makes me feel a little better, kek
>>
>>7670690
>he doesn't mostly read books from authors that are dead
>>
>>7670690
I would gladly pay Amazon a reasonable price for new digital books, but 14-20 bucks for digital content is laughable. Also I buy my physical from thriftbooks, and that doesnt support the author either.
>>
>>7670696
this
>reading contemporary authors
lmao fucking shit taste
>>
>>7670690
NEET here.
I buy second hand books because new books cost like 50$ each new here in australia. many books are no longer in print meaning the author wouldnt even get my money anyway. all i'd be doing is supporting second hand book stores. which I will do if I find a second hand book store that sells cheap books. unfortunately only the startups sell cheap books in australia. once theyve been around for a little while all the books get sold for very near retail price anyway.

And fuck me, everyone in the rest of the world takes care of their books. in australia, second hand books are piles of shit. not only is it cheaper to buy a second hand book from england or the USA with shipping, but it wont come looking like its been tossed around in a 5th graders backpack for a week then pissed on.
>>
>>7670699
thriftbooks sucks, i've many times received a different edition than what I ordered. It was especially annoying when I got "Blade Runner" with Harrison Ford on the cover instead of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Better to find a decent used bookstore nearby if possible and support them.
>>
>>7670700
Man Booker shortlist and Nobel were super strong this year.
>>
>>7670714
post them
>>
>>7670720

A Brief History of Seven Killings
Marlon James

A Little Life
Hanya Yanagihara

A Spool of Blue Thread
Anne Tyler

Satin Island
Tom McCarthy

The Fishermen
Chigozie Obioma

The Year of the Runaways
Sunjeev Sahota

I would add the Longlisted Moor's Account

Svetlana Alexievich won the Nobel, Voices from Chernobyl and Zinky Boys were great, and Th'iungo's Wizard of the Crow seems to have been neck and neck, in addition of course to Joyce Carol Oats, Murakami (meh) and Roth, who deserves it for American Pastoral alone.
>>
>>7670690
I buy physical copies of good books I truly enjoy, but I'm not buying "Jeffrey and the Nigger Lover part 27" or just books I have a passing interest in. ESPECIALLY not going to buy digital books.
Did the same thing with libraries before ereaders were widely available, and its no different.
>>
>>7670740
>weird sandnigger names
>women
Uh..
>>
>>7670749
This
What's wrong with you
>>
>>7670756
>>7670749
>I limit myself based on /pol/ memes
>>
>>7670762
>i fall for ironic misogyposting
>>
>>7670762
I threw a quick glance at those and all look very generic / opposite of interesting. Probably feminist rigged desu.
>>
File: laughing 2d.gif (1 MB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
laughing 2d.gif
1 MB, 600x337
>>7670690
>he reads living authors
>>
>tfw mostly interested in science books at the moment
>they're all .pdf files that don't convert well

There's no reason for me to get the kindle for that, right?
>>
>>7670940
>they're all .pdf files that don't convert well
I don't buy this. List 5 books you want, I'll check in a second.

Also there's ways to make pdf perfectly readable as long as it's mostly text, which I guess your books are.
>>
>>7670948
Can you find The German Way of War: From the Thirty Years' War to the Third Reich (Modern War Studies by Robert M. Citino please fampai
>>
>>7670948
Mostly neuroscience books that have some pictures that explain shit along the text

The Human Nervous System: An Anatomical Viewpoint, Kiernan
Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain
>>
>>7670971
I read your original post as science fiction for some reason. Yeah that kind of illustrated textbook stuff usually only exists as pdf.
>>
>>7670940
I'd read that type of stuff on phone/tablet/computer and use my kindle for mostly text things.
>>
>>7671014
Yeah I assumed so, I just dislike reading long textbooks from my monitor and thought an e-reader might help Seems like there's no much of a choice which is a shame.
>>
>>7670151
i have a kindle, so i buy from amazon if i cant find it free on bookfi dot org. i use calibre to convert files.
>>
>Why would you get a Kindle instead of a Kobo?
>Why is Kindle shilled so much?

A Kindle practically requires Calibre as a support system to get the most use out of one. Especially for the DRM cracking addons.

Other e-readers are better, but at a cost. That cost is made most apparent when you consider people are practically throwing away older model Kindles in their journeys along the upgrade treadmill cycle.

I use a Kindle because, combined with Calibre, it does everything I want it to do. Also, it cost me nothing. The shut ins around here might have difficulty getting a hand-me-down freebe from a friend, but the're quite cheap to purchased used.
>>
Is there any guide to convert PDF's to Kindle which permits the same functionalities as the original Kindle format?
>>
>>7671161
Use k2pdfopt first for pdf, then put it into calibre to convert into mobi. This way text pdf come out flawless pretty much always
>>
>>7671069
IIRC only the new paperwhite model has the nice lighting with long term battery
>>
>>7671028
That's because e-book formats are all about text reflow and PDF is all about fixed placement of text and images, they're trying to accomplish opposite things.

They used to have those big A4 format Kindles which seems like they would work better for textbooks but I don't think they still do.
>>
>>7671161
Steal acrobat portable from torrent sites, and crop the pages appropriately and remove hidden material. If they are retail quality they may be OCR'd which means an easy conversion on calibre, or you can save as another format like .RTF and format it correctly using the replace function and wildcards.
>>
>>7671240
*and convert from .rtf to whatever you want with calibre
>>
>>7671167
>>7671240
>>7671245
Thank you!

Will this preserve the chapters structure as well? When converting from PDF to MOBI on Calibre, it renders the text as one big chunk as opposed to a chapterized document.
>>
>>7671649
Oh, Calibre finally added reflow? Nice, but that makes your issue unavoidable. The alternative is having a break (in the MOBI text) after each line (of the PDF), which is just another pain in the ass.
>>
>>7670151
I write them myself on Word and convert them to PDF for my own enjoyment
>>
>>7672904
The break is a paragraph symbol though which you can replace with a space or a paragraph symbol if it ends with a period.
>>
>download file from internet
>convert to kindle format
>>
File: index.jpg (3 KB, 108x112) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
3 KB, 108x112
>>7670151
#bookz is the best place
>>
>>7670172
Stop looking at the Kindle, look at the Kobo.
>>
>>7673120
does it have more or less than bookzz.
also, anyone have lit related irc's?
>>
>>7673142
I'd say more, but either way, #bookz is the best. Try it out.

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Bookz
>>
>>7671069
This. I bought a second-hand kindle with the case for $30, never paid for an ebook in my life. Feels good, man.
>>
I never purchase things on the internet because I like to believe I'm an outlaw and consider the internet to be a lawless universe. Yee-haw!
>>
>>7674320
where did you buy one for so cheap?
>>
What are the best settings to convert from pdf to epub with calibre?
I always select "remove the spacing between the paragraphs" because otherwise you have single sentences all over the place.
>>
>>7670391
You can replace the sd on the Kobo.
>>
>>7670690
Why the fuck would want to read digital books if it wasn't for the fact that you don't pay for books?
If I pay I want the physical good.
>>
>>7671240
How the fuck do you convert from pdf to rtf?
>>
File: Ivan_kramskoy_self_portrait_.jpg (193 KB, 424x563) Image search: [Google]
Ivan_kramskoy_self_portrait_.jpg
193 KB, 424x563
>tfw i had to sell my kindle with a thousand books on to buy food

i feel like hanging myself, honestly
>>
>>7670172
get Calibre

it reads the Kindle device and converts everything to a readable format when you transfer your books onto it
>>
>>7670165
This and libgen. Sometimes torrents but usually not.
>>
>>7675075
what outdated thinking
>>
>>7675144
>paying for a good you can't use and you can get for free
What a retard.
>>
>>7675126
I'm not so sure that really matters imo. If the books were pirated you should have the backups on your HDD, if you bought them all through Amazon then they are still on your account.

Why the fuck does it matter how many books it had?
>>
File: don't sit right with me.jpg (26 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
don't sit right with me.jpg
26 KB, 392x500
>>7675126
don't do it bro
>>
>>7675213
>Why the fuck does it matter how many books it had?
I didn't intend to imply that it did matter. Just that it's pretty fucking difficult to read books without an ereader or actually having the book in hand. I don't know about you but it's a struggle for me to sit at the computer for more than an hour or two.
Anyway, it's gone now. It just means I won't read as much.

>>7675215
I won't do it over something so silly but fuck, I miss it already.
It was either sell it or starve as I have literally no other valuable possessions apart from a mobile phone.
Fuck this life, boys. Maybe in a different one...
>>
File: Self Portrait.jpg (58 KB, 448x553) Image search: [Google]
Self Portrait.jpg
58 KB, 448x553
>>7675240
any reason why you're in such dire straits? Not that it's any consolation, but for books, you could try a library card. Also, as a pirate to a fellow pirate, when you get some more dispensable cash, you can get a kindle on the cheaps if you look for "blacklisted kindle" on ebay. i got a keyboarded one for my wife for like 20 bucks. just something to remember.
>>
>>7675261
>any reason why you're in such dire straits?
Because I have silly dreams.

>you could try a library card
Yeah, I've got one but my local library is pretty poor.

>"blacklisted kindle"
I'm probably going to buy another as soon as I can afford to.
Before I sold it, I was in the middle of reading the Republic and I desperately want to finish it.

Cheers for the advice anyway
>>
>>7675240
What the fuck did you get out of an ereader anyway? 50 bucks? Can't you ask your parents for that much or a friend instead of selling an ereader?
>>
I've been considering a Kindle Paperwhite for a while, and as an ebook noob, this is the first time I've heard of the Kobo. Where I live, the difference in pricing between the two is like twenty american bucks more on the Kobo HD.

Looking over the specs, they seem pretty similar.

Could I ask for your subjective opinions on which would be a better purchase? Is there a significant advantage to the Kobo, aside from having more native formats available than the Kindle?
>>
>>7675295
The Kobo glo hd has a better screen than the paperwhite. Look up the comparisons on youtube. This alone should make it clear what to get when we're talking about a screen made to fucking read.
You can turn the light off on the kobo but you can't do that on the paperwhite, you can just lower it to the minimum. You can change the internal sd card on the kobo. You can use on horizontal view to read on the Kindle but can't do that on the Kobo, this is the only thing I really envy the Paperwhite.
It seems like the Kindle lags less when readin pdf but who the fuck reads pdf on an ereader anyway?

Check for reviews online, when I asked /lit/ what I got is that they're tech impaired. You'll have more insight on /g/ if you really wanna ask 4chan.

I really don't know why the fuck there aren't guides on ereaders, ebooks and calibre on this fucking board.
>>
>>7675286
What the fuck did you get out of an ereader anyway?
100GBP so around 140USD. It was bundled with accessories etc. The buyer got a great deal in the end.

>Can't you ask your parents for that much or a friend
No to the parents and I'm one of those poor fools who has alot of acquaintances and not ''friends''
I know alot of people but would never feel comfortable asking them for money. If you do so, you become far too ''involved'' in their lives, or them in mine, for my liking. They're acquaintances for a reason.
Also, you can survive for twenty days or so without food, anyway...
>>
>>7675356
I paid my new Kobo glo hd €100 last week. The fuck did you have, a voyager/h2o?
>>
>>7675385
It was a Kindle Paperwhite with loads of accessories and extras. I probably spent 300GBP on it all and sold it for 100, but yeah... A man's gotta eat.
>>
>>7675401
What kind of fucking accessories does a kindle even have that cost double its price and why would you ever buy them at that price?
>>
>>7675014
gumtree in the UK, but pretty sure craiglist in the US has the same type of bargains.
>>
>>7675335
>It seems like the Kindle lags less when readin pdf but who the fuck reads pdf on an ereader anyway?
I do! It's far from ideal but just about bearable and better than staring at my small phone screen. The pdf I'm reading now can't be converted- it's not even OCRable.

Can confirm that my kobo is slow as balls with the pdf- feels like at least a second to turn the page. I suspect it varies from file to file though (current one is 20+ Mb), and I have no idea if kindle would be faster.
>>
>>7675532
It still displays the images of the pdf better than tha kindle.
Also get a better phone for less than €200 and read pdf on that.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.