[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, in the past month since I've started to get into reading,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: images (5).jpg (51 KB, 498x768) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
51 KB, 498x768
So, in the past month since I've started to get into reading, I've read In The Miso Soup and The Wasp Factory. I thought In The Miso Soup was definitely quite a bit more disturbing than The Wasp Factory. They're both pretty cool books, but I am looking for something deeper. I want to get an even greater sense of psychological depth, which both books seem to excel at. I really liked the wasp factory's take on gender. I thought the plot twist towards the end of the book was amazing. It would be cool if there were more books that took gender and told such a twisted story about that. But of course that's not really all that necessary, I'd be happy with something that is fascinating in a different way. I basically want a book that really makes me wonder what the hell is going through people's minds, in a rewarding and fascinating way.
>>
>>7670109
You want deep?

Infinite Jest
Gravity's Rainbow
The Recognitions
The Tunnel

These are meme approved. They're great for all upper middle class white college sophomore males
>>
>>7670109

>>>r/books
>>
>>7670109

It's posts like these that make me feel well-read
>>
>>7670109
You could try 'Use of Weapons', by Iain M. Banks (Iain Banks when he's writing sci -fi).

It's part of his Culture series, set in a (mostly) utopian space-age where a society known of the culture is run by super-intelligent machines and ships. You don't need to have read the others to enjoy this though.

It follows Zakalwe, an operative for Special Circumstances, the Culture's shady secret agency. Zakalwe's past is wonderfully fucked-up, as are the missions he undertakes, so chances are you'll like it. Just be aware that there are two 'time streams' in the novel, one narrative going forwards and the other into the past. A great book, imo.

And if you like that, there are the other Culture novels to tangle with.
>>
>>7670138
*society known as the Culture. Sorry, I'm a little tired.
>>
>>7670138
God I fucking hate sci fi. I've always hated sci fi stuff. I remember watching the sci fi channel growing up, all of it always sucked. All those little sci fi series on the science channel, they always sucked. Star wars and star trek are boring and stupid. I just fucking hate sci fi and the fat nerdy larpers who enjoy it.
>>
>>7670137
honestly I want to vomit when I read this, it reminds me how much I hate that we have anonymity.
>>
>>7670153
Well yes, I quite agree that Sci-Fi channel/Wars/Trek are awful to varying degrees (and really those are just escapist fantasies). The whole 'genre' is widely maligned, often by people who have little experience of it.

However. Much of the most imaginitive/philosophical/incisive literature of the 20th century falls into this genre.The list of authors who have produced great work that's been classified as 'sci-fi' is so vast that I can't unpack it.

The best novels of this kind aren't about spaceships/aliens/robots/dystopias for their own sake, but use these things as devices to explore the human condition, etc etc.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.