[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions that don't deserve their own thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
post minor questions here because apparently the smartest board on 4chan can't keep track of more than four active threads at a time
>>
here's my question: why is this board so smug?
>>
>>7669355
>smartest board
Your virginity is showing
>>
>>7669617
>normalfags dropping the board's IQ
Like clockwork
>>
>>7669355

would you rather read an instructions manual for a fondue pot or read about the history of basket weaving?
>>
>>7669355
Hardly four threads at a time worth keeping track of; baby.
>>
Is http://lib.freescienceengineering.org/ down for good?
>>
What is the best way to get a complete set of H.P. Lovecrafts works?
Specifically his fiction and philosophical works.
>>
>>7669576
It depends. If you make a thread genuinely wondering why people don't like John Green, people are going to laugh at you right in your face.
>>
>>7671680
The Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales collections. Everything published in two lovely and practical hardback books that don't look absolute dreadful.
>>
File: 1273378183101.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1273378183101.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
>>7671680
Don't read Lovecraft it's shit
>hurr hurr and the monster is a penguin of indescribable horror Kil'ahn Cup'te'
>>
Is Carl Sandburg the most underappreciated of the canon American poets?
>>
>>7671693
Which publisher?
>>
>>7671704
Gollancz
>>
>>7669576
The whole board isn't just one person, anon.

But if you're new to this board and you haven't read the sticky and /lit/ wiki, you're probably going to get laughed at by the /lit/-cool kids.
>>
>>7671716
Thank you kindly friend.
>>
File: shit edition.jpg (144 KB, 700x1080) Image search: [Google]
shit edition.jpg
144 KB, 700x1080
>>7671735
No worries, anything to get people away from awful, gaudy editions like pic related which can't even sit on your shelf properly because of the dreadful embossing on the hardcover.
>>
Is there any dystopian westerns worth reading? Things similar to McCarthy's The Road, maybe? It's not something I read much but I'm curious.
>>
What ethnically diverse authors portray anti-SJW views in their writing or hold/held right-wing views IRL?
>>
What software do you guys like to use to view ebooks?
>>
What books will help me get laid?
>>
>>7671749
I've got two B&N leatherbound books and they're beautiful.
>>
>>7669849
History of basket weaving, how is this even a question
>>
>>7669576
Compared to most other book forums, even literary magazines, /lit/ has much better taste in books. Mostly because there's often a couple dissenting opinions explaining themselves equally well and explaining the feelings of both parties. This normally goes as follows:

>"if u don't like this u r a faggot bitch"

>"no I'm just not an 11 year old going through growth hormone induced puberty and writing about it in a dollar store coloring book"
>>
>>7669617
In all honesty, it's probably either us or /sci/, which because this is 4Chan isn't really saying much.
>>
>>7672053
Good question. There aren't right wing necessarily but if you're looking for colored writers that go against standard liberal political correctness:

>Richard Rodriguez
>Sherman Alexie
>Malcolm X
>>
>>7673355
*these aren't
>>
>>7672053
Not by an ethnically diverse author, but A Renegade History of the United States is basically a list of how 'progressives' have fucked up the world.
>>
>>7673372
Sounds like reactionary bullshit to be clear famiglia
>>
File: 1384719005695.jpg (104 KB, 700x688) Image search: [Google]
1384719005695.jpg
104 KB, 700x688
>>7673351
>4Chan
>>
Where do the cool kids here like to pirate their ebooks from?
>>
How fast do you all read? I challenged myself to read 52 books this year as a New Year's Resolution and I'm struggling to keep up.
>>
File: iCpvHSNh.jpg (103 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
iCpvHSNh.jpg
103 KB, 1024x576
What should I read next? Left pile is new books, right is books I've tried, gave up on, and want to try again.
>>
>>7673465
Any books that are boring to me yet reverred i just read a summary of on wikipedia/sparknotes and move on until i get to one on the list i enjoy

Dont set a number. Just read what you enjoy, skip what you dont
>>
>>7673488
I might get shit on for recommending it rather than something else but The Hobbit is a nice little read.

I liked it much more than LOTR
>>
borp
>>
>>7673488
Metamorphosis or all the pretty horses from the left.
Catch 22 from the right.

Those are my favorites from your pic.
>>
Is "Ulysses: A Facsimile of the First Edition Published in Paris in 1922" a good edition? It's expensive but I kind of want it for the original cover.
>>
File: 1454942563508.jpg (179 KB, 1280x900) Image search: [Google]
1454942563508.jpg
179 KB, 1280x900
What is this referencing ?
>>
>>7675384
It contains all the errors that were in the original edition, depends on how you feel about that
>>
Nook or kindle?
>>
Can someone post the picture about Dante's Divine Comedy translations and their differences?
>>
>>7671702

Yeah, he's great. I still reread The Great Hunt and Crimson from time to time, just for inspiration. Check out Robert Penn Warren, a lot of people who like Sandburg seem to enjoy him.
>>
>>7669617
This is home to NEETs who got a 13 on every part of their ACT except for English and Reading comprehension, so they horde the only thing they're "good" at and pretend it matters, therefore they feel their disposition to reading comprehension and art is meaningful and something to be proud of.
>>
>>7676381
Speak for yourself faggot I got a perfect ACT score.

also

>implying ACT scores mean anything
>>
GUYS

i just reinstalled windows.

i need a literary wallpaper

THIS IS IMPORTANT

suggest me a lit related wallpaper

please
>>
Where do I start with Plato's dialogues?

My father gave me his Huntington & Cairns anthology to read, and I started from the front this morning. I've read Socrates' Apology, Crito, Phaedo, and Charmides so far, in that order.

Awesome stuff so far. However, the more I read, the more I feel like there's a specific order I ought to be following.

Suggestions?
>>
Iliad or Odyssey first? What translations?
>>
What font is the best font to write with? And what size?
>>
>>7676581
pen and paper
>>
>>7676552
iliad and go with Fagles
>>
File: plato order.png (71 KB, 903x670) Image search: [Google]
plato order.png
71 KB, 903x670
>>7676446
>>
File: plato.jpg (175 KB, 1133x1053) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
175 KB, 1133x1053
>>7676446
>>
Why can't literature achieve what a therapist can?

Why is the humour section so fucking shit.

Where the fuck is the gallows humour? Or biting satire?
>>
Does anyone have a good source on speed reading techniques?
>>
>>7673351
>/sci/
Please that board is filled with fucking college undergrads in their first and second year asking for homework help
It's far from smart
>>
If I want to start reading and learning about philosophy but don't really want to read a fuck huge list of texts from a single author what should I start with?
Is there a good a collection style or textbook like thing that I should look at?
>>
>>7675670
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Ionioi_Hetairoi

>>7676813
Unless you need it for studying shit you don't care about, don't learn speedreading.
>>
File: America Inquisitive.jpg (86 KB, 759x811) Image search: [Google]
America Inquisitive.jpg
86 KB, 759x811
Besides Hamlet and Falstaff, who would be considered Shakespeare's greatest characters?
>>
>>7671679
I fucking bumped the thread from page 9
>>
>>7677042

And if they all got in a fight, who would win?
>>
>>7677042
Prospero
>>
>>7677049
I was just about to post this
>>
Where can I find these two books
Jazz Styles by Gridley
Readings for Diversity and Social Justice by Adams
I've look at bookzz and they dont got it, cant find it anywhere. Need them for class tomorrow please help.
>>
What Faulkner novel should i start with?
>>
>>7676776
>>7676787
Very much obliged.
This supports my thinking - the first three dialogues I read flowed very well, but Charmides seemed out of place. Thank you.
>>
>>7669849
if reading the instruction manual for a fondue pot implies that I've just purchased my own fondue pot and am preparing to use it for the first time, therefore also about to have some tasty ass fondue, then I definitely pick that one.
>>
>>7669849
I know basket weaving is a meme, but definitely the history of basket weaving.

Primitive technology fascinates me.
>>
>>7669576
Because we're better than you.
>>
>>7671749
I like that one...
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.