[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ender's Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 375802.jpg (69 KB, 290x475) Image search: [Google]
375802.jpg
69 KB, 290x475
Just read this and I have some questions
>is this babies first sci Fi?
>should I read the other books?
>were/are you able to separate the authors opinions on homosexuals from his work?
>did you like the book
>>
>>7668131
yeah it's as good a place to start as any
>>should I read the other books?
they get progressively worse as he slips his weird mormon ideas into the story but if you're into that kind of thing and you didn't like everything that made the original good then go ahead.
>>were/are you able to separate the authors opinions on homosexuals from his work?
yeah
>>did you like the book
it was alright
>>
why the fuck does it have all those jew stars at the top? who the fuck would read some shit like that?
>>
>>7668133
did you seriously bump your own shit after 2 minutes?

saaaaaaaaaagggggggggeeeeeeeee
>>
>>7668131

Yes
Only the next two, maybe
Yes
Not really. It's pretty repetitive. He gets gets better at space laser tag for the middle 200 pages with not much else happening. Am I supposed to be impressed with his tactics? I don't care about that shit. Ender himself is a bore, and all his friends and peers are bores too.

Also, kids don't talk like that. Yeah, Orson adressed that in the intro, saying he's got letters from students in a gifted class saying they do, but that's bullshit. I was in a gifted kids class, and we only liked to pretend we talked like that. In reality, we were just as dumb as the other kids, except better at math and autistic about video games.
>>
>>7668131
It's YA but scifi is for babies in general. It was garbage so no I didn't like it, and no the other books aren't worth reading. The book felt uncomfortably homoerotic, and borderline homosexual itself, so whatever opinions he's expressed about homosexuals seem to be rooted in projection and denial.
>>
>>7668131
Get the fuck out reddit.

No one wants your pleb tier "did you like the book". Seriously do you even read?
>>
it's sort of bad. i wonder why it's such a popular thing. the upside of this: the bar is not that high to be one of the greats in sf.
>>
>>7668131
>Yes
>Speaker for the Dead is better, stop reading after that
>Sure
>Yes because I was 12 when I read it and I was the "too smart for everyone" social reject kid that the book is pandering to
>>
>>7668131
It was my favorite book from 8 to 15 or so. I read it a few years ago at...30. It didn't age well.
>>
>>7668160
Well, he apparently toned down the dialogue so it would not cause a furor and/or tarnish childhood innocence.

Like, he fully intended to write "cockgargler" but rolled it back to "fartbreather" or whatever.
>>
File: Good cover.jpg (45 KB, 289x475) Image search: [Google]
Good cover.jpg
45 KB, 289x475
Does /lit/ prefer the Ender Quintet or the Shadow Quartet?
>>
>>7668131
>>is this babies first sci Fi?
yes
>>should I read the other books?
Speaker for the Dead is supposed to be good, the rest no
>>were/are you able to separate the authors opinions on homosexuals from his work?
certain scenes in the book bring words like 'closet' to mind
>>did you like the book
I won't reread it or think of it much
>>
>>7668131
Yes.
No?
Yes.Why should I care?
Yes.
>>
>>7668131
The meme might say so, I still think it's great.
Read Ender's Shadow and don't bother yourself with the rest of the shadow series, it's shit. Speaker of the Dead was completely different, but good. Haven't read the others.
>were/are you able to separate the authors opinions on homosexuals from his work?
In Card's case it's pretty easy because it doesn't show in his work. On the contrary, all that stranger tolerance and empathy. It's beautiful, but what a hypocrite.
>>did you like the book
I did.

Read Philip K. Dick, anon
>>
>>7670405
>what a hypocrite
Not really. It's just that conservatives can identify the difference between fantasy and reality.

In reality, marriage is the foundation of traditional civilization and has been considered so since the ancient Greek philosophers.

Handing it over to homosexuals who don't procreate "just because" is pretty silly. It only undermines personal sovereignty and weakens the individual so as to make us easier cattle for our oligarch overlords.

Confucianism nails this point as well. The building block of society should be our innate familial fidelity that we only feel toward blood kin and a select few. No one really has their heart in throwing resources into the endless abyss of "the other" to fritter away on things that don't impact our lives.

Statism turns us into cattle.
>>
>>7668163
>uncomfortably homoerotic, and borderline homosexual
Maybe you are the one who is in denial,anon.Have you thought of that?
>>
>>7670496
>Maybe you are the one who is in denial,anon.
Hahah yeah you'd have to be a repressed faggot not to enjoy descriptions of naked preadolescent boys.
>>
>>7668131
Pretty much, but I honestly think 95% of the books labeled as sci-fi are decent for beginners, since it's not something as serious as, say, "Greek literature" where you really need some degree of familiarity and general knowledge.
Depends on you really, make your own decision based on what the other anons said.
No.
>did you like the book
It was mostly filling material but the handling of "becoming the ruler of the world through internet discussion boards", "transcendental psychoanalysis and multilayered postmodern parallelism through video games" and the sequence of plot twists at the end were pretty well done, if you ask me. So, yes.

But yeah, read Dick.
>>
>>7668131
Pretty much. It's not too complicated.
Also most "true" Science Fiction writers despise the term Sci-Fi.
If you want. The ones I've heard are good were Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Ender's Shadow. Haven't read past the first book, though, for various reasons.
I didn't know about them until after I read the book. It actually surprised me, considering the way the book is angled morally.
>did you like the book
Not my favorite SF book, but it was as worthwhile a read as any.
>>
Ender's Card Game is easily the worst of the horse rounds.
>>
>>7668131
>>is this babies first sci Fi?

No, it's science fiction for StarCraft fans.

If you think you'll like them.

Faggot.

>did you like the book

It was alright, as far as killing time goes.
>>
>>7671955
>I didn't know about them until after I read the book. It actually surprised me, considering the way the book is angled morally.

It surprised me considering that the book made it seem like he might've been a NAMBLA member.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.