[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time /lit/ poster, usually /out/. I'm looking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 640x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 640x477
First time /lit/ poster, usually /out/. I'm looking for a new interesting book series. A story that is mesmerizing in each book but spans several different novels. Dark Tower series by Stephen King is an excellent example, but as I start to reread the entire series for the fourth time I realize I need to find something new. Vampire Chronicals by Anne Rice and Ender's game sort of related.

I love reading, but hate when the ride is over so soon, if you know what I mean.

Scifi/ fantasy related preferred, but also open to other genres. I kind of dabbled in the Sword of Shannara (spelling?) when I was way younger, but came across the Dark Tower series and just kind of dropped it. Is that a good one to restart?

Sincerest apologies if this is a common question asked here on /lit/. Making an honest effort to stop watching so much visual media; canceled my Netflix account because I want to do more reading in nature like I used to do (picture related, favorite spot of mine to read).
>>
Please be bait. Also, check the sticky.
>>
>>7910632
>>7910622

Hey /out/,

Greetings from /trv/. As you can see, this is a pretty faggy board wherein you'll be judged if you enjoy reading anything than the overblown paperweights the majority of posters here fill their bookcases with.
>>
>>7910622
>>7910643
Dear crossposters,

If someone came to your board without understanding the first thing about traveling or the outdoors, but insisting that their opinions on said subjects be taken seriously and respected, would you not laugh at them? You might have thought /lit/ was supposed to be more mellow or something because reading seemed like a comfy pursuit to you, but coming to this board and asking for things like Stephen King-like suggestions is akin to going to /trv/ and asking about taking the local bus two blocks down or going to /out/ and wanting serious advice about setting up a tent inside your living room. Are you really telling me that people like that wouldn't be laughed off your respective boards? This is what you come off like when you want sci fi, fantasy, thriller, horror, or genre suggestions in general.

Regards,
/lit/
>>
>>7910643
> overblown paperweights
don't try to excuse your inability to read
>>
>>7910679

Hence my comment about /lit/ being a "faggy" board.
>>
>>7910685
just stick to /b/
>>
>>7910685
Have you even read Derrida?
>>
>>7910689

Try harder, Gonzo. Most of you couldn't write your way out of a paper sack without using a hundred adjectives and alluding to your high-brow tastes within the course of a single paragraph.

>be /lit/
>read comics in high school
>severely bullied
>buy an autist-tier collection of outdated and antiquated philosophy books to show what an eclectic and intellectual man you are
>>
>>7910622
My diary desu
>>
>>7910705
this tbqh
The only people who are actually intelligent here are the ones who browse casually and absolutely never post their shit in one of those awful critique threads filled with cringe worthy texts or their books in one of those "show off your shelf" threads
>>
>>7910679
OP here. Thank you for taking this opportunity to suggest better reading literature and help me broaden my horizons to instead belittle my reading history. As someone who personally teaches and guides new hikers wanting to climb their first mountain, I assure you we do not treat those wanting to learn more in this manner.

I will no longer be monitoring this thread, but thank you for taking the time to reply in such a detailed manner to my thread, even if it was to only insult.
>>
>>7910728
You're a teacher and you read The Dark Tower 4 fucking times?
Christ that's scary.
>>
>>7910622
nah
>>
>>7910728

Same goes for /trv/. We have a welcoming board culture and don't chase people away unless they're obviously trolling or trying to get a reaction. /lit/ is just one of those places that has a ton of potential but too many autists.
>>
>>7910733
>caring what books your mountain climbing teacher reads in his spare time
>>
Perdido Street Station
Roadside Picnic
Book of the New Sun (series)
>>
Try the Warhammer 40k books if you're still here, OP. They've got tons of series of books (like the Horus Heresy which is up to 30+ books or something like that) and you can find what you like.
>>
>>7910622
>>7910728
If you happen back by (no need to respond), the Shannara series is okay. Brooks does stay pretty close to his macguffin hunt formula most of the time. If le patricians haven't chased you off already, you might get a better response in the Science Fiction/Fantasy general >>7899340
>>
>>7910728
Being paid to teach people IRL isn't the same as asking for suggestions on 4chan.
>>
Min Kamp by Karl Ove Knausgård desu
>>
In search of lost time
>>
>>7910705

top fucking kek, this is lit in a nutshell
>>
>>7910705
>to show
If you honestly think this, you've only seen the pseud fucks who occupy most of the threads and constantly post about how many books they've read this year or what their recent purchases are.

About 10% or less of /lit/ is comprised of people who actually read, and yes, we still read books that you'd never touch for being too "pretentious" or long. Not to show off, because no one gives a shit, but because if you take reading as a pursuit more seriously than just something to do on a flight or when you're camping, you're going to eventually get bored of simple entertainment.

The rest are the guys you're describing.

Still though, you're just an entry-level hobbyist. There's nothing wrong with that, but there are plenty of other places where you could engage with people on that level instead of coming here.
>>
>>7910747
>friend going through midlife crisis
>wants to climb a mountain
>we sign up for a class
>when we arrive, the instructor has a cowboy hat and says "we are now ka-tet" at some point mentions how he is the 54th generation of king Arthur
>get a bad feeling when he picks up his bag and I see he has a revolver
>he notices that I saw and winks and says "In case we see a bear of fearsome size who holds the worlds within his eyes
>we start up, he keeps telling us to hurry because he has to catch a monk or bald guy
>wtf there's no one on the mountain besides us
>he makes us stop and eat and deals tarot cards
>at another stop he walks off and I follow at a distance
>see him strip naked and pretend to have sex in a circle he drew on the ground
>he literally just humped the air until he jizzed
>strangest thing i had ever seen
>we start to cross a chasm
>I slip and am hanging on to the edge
>he steps on my fingers looks me in the eyes and says "go then there are other worlds than these"
>die
>as i ascend to heaven I see him shoot my friend in the head while yelling "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.”
>>
File: 1446045097746.png (175 KB, 800x850) Image search: [Google]
1446045097746.png
175 KB, 800x850
>>7910856
>you spent time typing that
>I'm not going to read it
I'm the person you replied to btw
>>
>>7910705
I've never read a comic book in my life.
>>
>>7910846

You're a perfect example of somebody who takes himself too seriously. There are plenty of people who can enjoy the classics as well as more mainstream books.

Go ahead and have your self-aggrandizing one-man /lit/ wank - just don't expect anyone else to care beyond giving you a few lines in response.
>>
>>7910860
a (you) is enough
ty anon I graciously accept it
<3
>>
>>7910866
I don't take myself seriously at all. You're missing the point.

I've read plenty of mainstream books. Shitloads. 100 or more in about a year or two. I used to devour them by the metric fuckton. That's exactly why I got bored of them. I can't look at another Stephen King book after the 20 or so I've read.

Did I enjoy them? Sure, for a time, but after reading all that shit in such a short time, it just started blending together into one amorphous mass. It was all the same. Then on a whim I decided to read some Kafka, then Dostoevsky, then Nabokov, then Hawkes and Pynchon, eventually Joyce, and various others. They were just a lot more interesting than all the shit I'd read prior to them combined. That's all it was. I don't think I'm better than you for reading these sorts of things, they're just all I can bring myself to read anymore.

This isn't wankery. It's a simple statement of fact.
>>
>>7910622
The First Law is an ok fantasy trilogy with three spinoffs in the same world. Stormlight Archives is good fantasy too, each book is 1000+ pages but there are only two currently out. Kingkiller Chronicles goes in the same boat, waiting on the last book for that trilogy yet though.
>>
>>7910622
You could try My Struggle by Knausgaard - it's easy to read and entertaining throughout. It's not scifi or fantasy but instead an autobiographical depiction of his life. It's very good and could give you an appreciation of a different kind of literature - Angry-Norwegian-Man-Literature, which is much better than King.
>>
>>7910772
*les patriciens
Fucking pleb
>>
>>7910622
In Search of Lost Time.
>>
>>7910768
>seriously suggesting OP go a couple of steps -down- from Stephen King
>>
>>7910705
I got into big-boy literature at age 14. I read 1984 because I thought it would be fun, then Brave New World, then more dystopian novels until I got out of that phase but kept reading "pretentious" literature. 4 years later I discover this board and for 4 years since then I've had to endure Philistines like yourself assuming I only read IJ because /lit/ told me to.
>>
>>7911309

>1984
>"big-boy literature"
>>
>>7910622
Disregard the e/lit/ism.

Have you tried >>7910805
That is an alright suggestion if you want something slightly more serious.

Try The Count of Monte Cristo, too. It's a long one and a good one. It's an adventure story you might like.
>>
>>7910622
Book of the New Sun
Gormenghast trilogy
Lord of the Rings
Discworld novels
Iain M Banks' Culture novels
Dune series
Foundation series
Game of Thrones if you haven't seen the TV show
>>
>>7911309
No offense but you sound like a major faggot
>>
-
>>
>>7911324
I'm surprised you didn't crosslink me to reddit.
>>
>>7910856
nice
>>
DUUUUUUNNEE
>>
File: 1460401990109.png (555 KB, 650x912) Image search: [Google]
1460401990109.png
555 KB, 650x912
>>7910696

> literally who?
>>
File: 1429652016405.png (2 MB, 991x1287) Image search: [Google]
1429652016405.png
2 MB, 991x1287
>>7911309
>>
Black Company books by Glen Cook are complete shit but generally amusing/ a pretty good time waster.
>>
This thread is junk, sorry OP
Look into some of these:

The Divine Comedy
Book of The New Sun series
Dune series
The Hainish Cycle
The Foundation Trilogy
The Valis Trilogy
The Philip Marlow Books

>>7910705
Stop projecting.
>>
>>7911689

>stop projecting

>hey OP, I know you asked about Genre X, but how about you check out some real literature, like the fucking Divine Comedy? That's what you wanted, right?
>>
>>7911746
>Scifi/ fantasy related preferred, but also open to other genres
The Divine Comedy was a pretty significant influence on fantasy, it's also a fairly easy read, and only one of the suggestions I made.

I also don't see how me telling someone to stop projecting that none of /lit/ reads is contradicted by recommending of classic literature.
>>
>>7910622
MALAZAN
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.