[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one become smarter, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: telekenetic cartoon zombie.jpg (367 KB, 1688x1125) Image search: [Google]
telekenetic cartoon zombie.jpg
367 KB, 1688x1125
How does one become smarter, /lit/?
>>
If you have to ask...
>>
By challenging your present problem-solving skills.
>>
Observe people you think are smart. Act like them. When it starts to feel natural, adjust your assessment of people's intelligence based on your newly molded by attitude outlook. Repeat until satisfied. Serve cold.
>>
reading
>>
>>7663605
If you want to learn more things, read appropriate works.

You cannot become "smarter"
>>
Think before you speak. Make fewer statements of fact. If you have to disagree with someone, frame it with "don't you think that..." Or similar instead of flat out contradicting them.
>>
learn to think critically, it won't make you smarter but it will make you feel smarter
>>
>>7663605
You can't become 'smarter', it's mostly a biological thing.
Realistically, you wouldn't want to be very smart anyway - in itself it's not a very useful ability. Without determination you'll just become a NEET, without charm you'll become a total autist, without drive you become an overly smart garbageman. Intelligence doesn't make you a scholar or witty or successful. It's probably best to be 'kind-of-smart': being more intelligent than most of your peers, but not so much that you become prone to being a depressed or pedantic fuck.
>>
think critically, read a lot of things and test yourself on them

read a range of topics too, maths, literature, philosophy, history, economics etc
>>
>>7663605
By admitting your stupidity and accepting knowledge.
>>
Nohow
>>
>>7663634
this. i wish i was stupid enough to have even a drop of determination.
>>
File: tipstophat.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tipstophat.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
By going to those institutions that have a good track record of making people smarter and doing as those institutions tell you. It's almost as if we have education for a reason.

Also puzzles.
>>
OP Here,

To rephrase, how does one acquire more "world knowledge", being knowledge that is not overly specific in particular areas. I understand that reading, and reading a lot is important to this, but reading what exactly? I want to learn about life and the world and just generally know and understand more things, but in a way that I can actually I can actually explain these things or discuss them with others. I'd also like to become more eloquent.

How does one achieve all this? What should I read? What should I learn? Where should I start? I want to set myself down a path where I can truly realize the extent of my own intellect.

Perhaps I'm explaining this poorly, but hopefully you can understand my meaning.
>>
>>7663666
People like to shit on schools, but honestly I know I wouldn't have challenged myself in as many ways as school did if left tk my own devices. People tend to spend time on what they're good at, but useful mental growth, particularly at a young age, requires variety.

If you ever feel like people who went to elite schools think they're better than other people, it's because they do.
>>
>>7663676
greeks tb h
>>
>>7663676
Sometimes plain old rote memorization is all you need. I wanted to be more knowledgeable about geography so I set aside time every day to drill myself on countries, capitals, and other such things until it became instinctual. Now I do it on a weekly basis to keep it fresh.
>>
>>7663688
where to start senpai
>>
>>7663676
>read
>find patterns
>make connections (you learned cause-effect early on, use it)
>build a broad foundation on philosophy and history the better to temper your understanding with mindful examination and meaningful context, respectively -- connect these ideas across the epochs of civilization

It's nothing to know something if you can only express it in itself, for lack of the the lens to examine it or the context to place it against other things.
>>
>>7663647
No you are just a lazy fuck that uses "intelligence" as an excuse for your failures in life. If you were intelligent, you wouldn't be wasting your time posting on 4chan you delusional retard
>>
>>7663605
You don't.
You learn to accept your stupidity, like all of us (or just me) did.
>>
Use neuro lingistic programming to model yourself off of Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory
>>
>>7663617
Now that's just stupid. Just cause you think someone else is smart doesn't mean they're actually as smart as you think.
>>
Get off of 4chan, stop watching Netflix and mundane tv shows and stop dong drugs.

You can also lift weights (it engages the mind), start meditation and focusing, practice critical thinking skills, read some good books and teach yourself complicated concepts like hard maths/science.

Congrats, it took you 2-3 years but you're far smarter than you were at the start faggot.
>>
You don't have to be a genius to practice, anon; talent and intellect are only head starts, but if you look at the top institutions, whether they be colleges, conservatories, businesses, or whathaveyou, the most successful people there are the ones who worked harder and better than everyone else, so what you need to focus on is not how to become smart, but how to become an efficient learner. With literature, that means (memes aside) surveying the Greek and Biblical traditions, as well as getting a broad understating of major authors (you don't have to read every author's magnum opus, but instead you should read their essays, novellas, and short stories.) As for other subjects, you should learn something to test axiomatic reasoning. This could be formal logic, Euclidean geometry, or debate. Basically, you want to expose yourself to as much as possible as quickly as possible.
>>
>>7663676
Edith Hamilton's Mythology
The Bible (mostly Old Testament Lore plus the 4 Gospels. The Wisdom books are good,too.)
Norton Anthology of Poetry
Salt: A World History or A History of the World in 6 Glasses
Euclid's Elements
Short fiction is good too.
The /lit/ starter kit isn't half bad, although it's awfully American, and could use some more diversity.
Feynman Lectures on Physics
Listen to classical music
>>
>>7663676
Read literature, research the setting, get inspired to fill in the gaps in your education. Think about lit and draw your own conclusions, challenge your beliefs. Note big difficult words on simplenote whenever you encounter them, write down beautiful quotes.

Read the Apology of Sokrates, realize that knowing something doesn't add up to a measurable totality of your knowledge, especially if you intend to look down upon your peers
>>
>>7663605

by proving it with a lot of earned money
>>
>>7663647
>>7663634
lol, the old 'intelligence=depression' myth again, guy claiming to want to be dumber too; he thinks everyone around him who isn't him or his select few close ones are idiots. Like clockwork.
>>
>>7665143
>Edith Hamilton's Mythology

Why is this usually recommended instead of Apollodorus?
>>
>>7663605
do the same iq test over and over again
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.