[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of writing whilst on drugs? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2
File: writing.jpg (6 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
writing.jpg
6 KB, 290x174
What does /lit/ think of writing whilst on drugs?

I'm writing a novella right now, but I know when I switch between plot lines and characters it won't suffice. That is, I need to change my style in certain chapters to really capture the character's development.

I want to experiment by trying different drugs, then writing pieces of the book while still high.

Who knows, do you think it'd be refreshing having this sort of stylistic change throughout a book? As long as it's coherent.
>>
DUDE
>>
>>7659078

If you're not stoned while you're writing, you're probably doing it wrong.
>>
>>7659099
Checked
>>
I've read on many different drugs and definitely think it's enjoyable depending on what drug and what you're reading. I'd say it might be good for changing your writing style as your manner of thinking is obviously changed, the only issue would be choosing which substance and at what amount corresponds to what you are going for with your writing.
>>
>>7659078
It's been done before and the results range from interesting to complete garbage. Odds are you'll completely lose focus and not get anything done while you're high. Or you'll end up with incomprehensible gibberish that'll take more work to edit into anything meaningful than you're most likely willing to do.
>>
Hunter S. Thompson would approve.
>>
>>7659078
do it and send up some samples
>>
I definitely feel that hallucinogens (psychedelics and dissociatives) can have a deep impact on writing, for better and for worse
>>
>>7659078
dude weed lmao
>>
>>7659112
this guys never done drugs, so dont listen to him LOL. writing/reading while high on most drugs is pretty fucking sick and can be very valuable
>>
generally a crutch for boring people and bad writers.
>>
>>7659154
wooooa is it for real sick, dude? like wild n shit, my nigga?

people who do drugs carry an indelible stamp in their writing and art, and that stamp reads mediocrity.
>>
I do about a half ounce of coke a week and find pretty much everything I write while high is weirdly condescending, conceited and written completely stream-of-consciousness.

It's bizarre to be honest. It just kind of rambles on and on like I know what I'm talking about (though I don't) with no real end-game.

When I occasionally smoke weed, which I hate because it gets me peeking-through-curtains paranoid it's just awful.

Psychedelics are lame and for pseudo-intellectuals.

Sober writing is the best writing.
>>
>>7659156
this.

It's worth a try maybe, but don't get your hopes up for anything more than empty gimmick.
>>
>>7659223
>Psychedelics are lame
Bad luck on being a completely uninteresting human being
>>
>>7659266
DUDE DRUGS LMAO isn't a substitute for a personality.
>>
>>7659269
You misunderstood, your personality is what makes psychedelics interesting.
>>
>>7659266
Hippie liberal scum.
>>
>>7659269
Were you disappointed in psychedelics because they did not alter your perception of yourself and the world to your liking? You do coke, something that essentially makes you an unintelligent narcissistic ramblebot, and judging by the repetitiveness enjoy it. Your internal system sounds quite boring, neglecting self-awareness in favor of illusions of superiority is distasteful.
>>
>>7659296
not him but I need to learn to accept it when the trip isnt what I expected. Ive had great trips. and other times utterly mediocre trips.
>>
>>7659296
I'm not the coke anon and also you sound like a pseud.
Personally I like opiates, they're the comfy drug.
>>
>>7659078
>capture the characters development
uhh this isnt a thing in story telling. I dont know what you've been told or what books you're reading but its pretty constant that story telling is just
>pick archetype
>arrange in a zany repost of a repost situation
>rearrange tropes and common experiences into a new arrangement
>only its never original
>tfw seeing the greeks like horselover phat in V.A.L.I.S. while reading everything
>>
>>7659296
How does coke make you unintelligent in the slightest bit? I'm honestly curious.
>>
>>7659078
The only drug I use while writing is caffeine. I would do heavier stimulants but I don't have any.
Also acid is fun to write on but I've reached the point where I'm just as good sober as I am on psychedelics
plus I can't do psychedelics anymore after my last mushroom trip
>>
>>7659313
uppers make you less creative
its basically a trade off between enhancing or decreasing the frequency of alternating between being focused and daydreaming. normally you switch between the two constantly. interacting processing. interacting processing. meth, concaine, speedy stuff keeps you focused and out of dreamland.
>>
>>7659296
You sound like a complete sperg
>muhh awareness brooo. just chill man, good vibes all around....you gotta like, uhh...wait what was I saying? hahahah broooo pass me that spinach stick hahhhaaaa, bro listen man, just chill bro - you gotta know your place in the universe maaan
shut the fuck up you dweeb. suck on your gel-tab and fry your brain some more. It just made look like I was looking through a bubble that hasn't popped yet. Fuck a subconscious.
>>
>>7659302
If you're looking for low tier entertainment try a different class of drugs. Psychedelics are only valuable for processing and rearranging information in your head, memories and ideas are more vivid and connections are more volatile.
>>
>>7659106
Post some of your sweet marijuana writing anon
I guarantee it's absolute trash
>>
>>7659325
You sound like a meme-spewing pleb who can barely speak English, why are you trying to write again? Do you believe it makes you sound interesting?
>>
>>7659324
this is the most accurate portrayal of being coked out in film history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGN9yWbqksU
see how they're not really grounded in reality at all? they're describing this huge fantasy, weirdly paranoid. i think coke keeps you creative but in a different way. I dunno, cocaine is a really unique drug.
>>
>>7659325
>he thinks psychedelics are anything like marijuana
Not advocating psychs and I hate marijuana but you sound like a fucking loser
I bet your friends hate you
>>
>>7659324
>uppers make you less creative
I used to think this too
It's not true at all though
>>
>>7659326
yeah its not really entertainment. valuable for apprehending archetypes and understanding relationships, sign, symbol, referent relationships and all that. breaking you out of your usual mode of thinking.
>>
>>7659313
>>7659342
You ramble incessantly, basically dumping all of the garbage in your brain onto paper or some poor individual without any consideration. You don't process any new information from the outside or re-evaluate anything existing.
>>
>>7659338
i like splitting a quarter ounce of coke with three friends and talking about stupid shit way more than tripping. Shit's dumb.
>>
>>7659337
nope. that's when youve had too much. you can only delay sleep for so long. beyond that point you start to hallucinate as you enter REM while still awake. this is when you lose your shit like a speedfreak.
>>
Any of you guys ever try modafinil? Not usually thought of as a recreational drug but I've had a lot of fun just taking a dose and thinking about things in a good mood for a few hours.
>>
>>7659357
pleb
>>
>>7659357
I've never done coke but this thread is making me want to do it more and more
>>7659355
>You don't process any new information from the outside or re-evaluate anything existing
This is the exact thing you don't want to do when you're writing
>basically dumping all of the garbage in your brain onto paper
That's a good thing if your brain isn't full of garbage. Just filter out the garbage and you're good to go.
I have ADHD actually diagnosed thanks to two days of testing so my experience might be different though
>>
>>7659370
where do you think you are?
I thought we all had ADD or some kind of autism which is why we're shitposting from our moms basements.
>>
>>7659370
Let me tell you what coke is really like.
You spend all day with butterflies in your stomach, fuck yeah - snow in the forecast. You go to your dealer's house, drop $150 for an 8-Ball hoping he didn't cut it with some dumb shit or that his supplier didn't get bunk.
You go home, you and your buddies start doing lines, you feel energized, more than a cup of coffee but not like you were expecting. You keep railing, railing, railing, suddenly you pick your head up and you feel your heart racing. Your head is fuzzy, there's a permanent grin stuck on your face. A HUGE rush of euphoria through your entire body. You have to get up and just walk around. You can't feel your face, your nose is dripping like a faucet. This is the greatest thing you'll ever feel, you look around at your buddies and feel a weird sense of superiority to them. Every time they start talking you feel the need to one-up them at whatever they're talking about. They'll do the same to you. You talk about nothing like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread for a few hours. THen you realize how little coke is left. You start getting argumentative, slightly pissed but just a little irked. You finish your coke and start fiending more than you ever have in your life. You look at the clock, it's already 5 in the morning. You try to go to bed with this weird soul crushing depression poking at you, you think about how much of a loser you are. You don't even know who you are anymore. You just blew half your paycheck you stupid faggot, for what? You were high for a few hours and now your dumbass is out 150, that's if you didn't pay more while you were fiending and didn't even get higher cause it doesn't work like that.

You try to jerk off for an hour but your dick doesn't work. You finally go to sleep at 8 AM and wake up, you can't breathe out of your nose for a few days, your head feels thick, basically a shitty hangover without the vomiting.

Then you do the same shit next weekend.
>>
>>7659389
Doesn't sound very literary at all.
>>
>>7659370
Nothing in your brain is likely to be interesting, particularly in a disconnected ramble. Connections and organisation are what makes things interesting or worth reading/writing. In physics terms what we try to do throughout our life is compressing disordered information into principles which generate our reality, ie lower entropy. Your output on coke is disordered, high entropy. It doesn't benefit anyone to hear it, it won't help them compress info.
>>
>>7659393
That's what's great about Coke. It's the least pretentious drug ever. It's a fucking party drug. It makes you able to talk to any girl at a party, makes you charming (for the first few times at least), makes you feel invincible. It's basically a god complex going right through your nostril into your brain. It knows what it is and doesn't try to be anything else. It's really a perfect drug. If it were always 100% pure and not so fucking expensive everybody and their mother would be a coke head.
>>
>>7659398
I mean this as sincerely as possible- no meme:

Go back to reddi t.
>>
>>7659223
Bullshit your probably not old enough to buy liquer in your country.
half an ounce of coke a week and weed makes you paranoid?
>>
>>7659398
I don't know the exact ADD interaction though, I could see it making you more productive in terms of getting things done but I don't see writing as something to get done, the vast majority of things written simply aren't worth writing. The focus should be on getting to a point where you're able to break that rule, which is improbable and difficult.
>>
>>7659405
Sorry but what are you doing on lit? Do you even read?
>>
>>7659405
sounds like the dream of a weakling with no personality, you feeling more like a special snowflake doesn't make others see you that way
>>
>>7659412
What are you talking about?
>>
>>7659428
You just sound like an uneducated teenager, nothing literary about you. What's the appeal?
>>
I wouldn't write while on drugs but I definitely wouldnt mind experimenting with LSD and coming back to what I've been working on.
>>
>>7659430
You're being arrogant on a Japanese meme forum. look in the mirror and think to yourself about how dumb of a statement "there's nothing literary about you", is you pretentious faggot
>>
>>7659440
You sound more stupid with every post, is pretentious the first big word you learned? This is a literature board, fit or fa might appreciate your "lel I party with my imaginary friends and do lots of coke chill af senpai", they have a strong teenage population. We like content here, no one cares about your life.
>>
>>7659446
I'm from /tv/, this has to be the most antagonistic board on all of 4chan.
bet you all got absolutely no pussy in high school and vowed to make your adult life better, but you all still get no pussy and work barely above minimum wage but consider yourself better than everyone because you've read some obscure philosophical essays.
>>
>>7659470
Sorry, I don't speak pleb. You seem agitated
>>
>>7659470
I got some pussy once. It was wonderful.
>>
>>7659223
I've tried all of these, and I generally agree with you. But sober writing isn't the best writing. After a few beers I'm a much better writer. I'm not sure why.
>>
File: 1452551467293.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1452551467293.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>7659296
>LSD expands your mind duuude
>>
>>7659078
it's not as good an idea as you think it is.. a lot of the time you'll be incapable of writing anything of quality. plus with things like lsd your train of thought will change too often to get much down
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.