[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I will explain; the enjoyment was just from the too intense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: pandering to teenaged girls.jpg (50 KB, 355x236) Image search: [Google]
pandering to teenaged girls.jpg
50 KB, 355x236
"I will explain; the enjoyment was just from the too intense consciousness of one’s own degradation; it was from feeling oneself that one had reached the last barrier, that it was horrible, but that it could not be otherwise; that there was no escape for you; that you never could become a different man; that even if time and faith were still left you to change into something different you would most likely not wish to change; or if you did wish to, even then you would do nothing; because perhaps in reality there was nothing for you to change into."

What did he mean by this?
>>
Why does he always have this look like he just got a load of cum shot up his ass
>>
>>7658906
Stop shitting up this board with your le epic John Green meme
>>
File: 904358.png (573 KB, 611x615) Image search: [Google]
904358.png
573 KB, 611x615
>"Rape's gift to us lies in its loud reminder that there's nothing casual about sex at all. This is a gift because human sexuality's power and meaning increase with our recognition of its seriousness."
>>
>>7658916
I made a non shitpost to balance it out
>>
File: FSGREEN.jpg (81 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
FSGREEN.jpg
81 KB, 500x449
“They tell us that Suicide is the greatest piece of Cowardice... That Suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in this world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.”
>>
File: johncuck.jpg (67 KB, 374x359) Image search: [Google]
johncuck.jpg
67 KB, 374x359
"What is good? All that enhances the feeling of power, the Will to Power, and the power itself in man. What is bad? All that proceeds from weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is increasing--that resistance has been overcome. Not contentment, but more power; not peace at any price, but war; not virtue, but competence. The first principle of our humanism: The weak and the failures shall perish. They ought even to be helped to perish."
>>
>>7658924
so this
>>
>>7659036
>hurr durr the Nazis misapplied and took out of context Nietzsche's words

tiptopkek
>>
>>7659056
Never fucking reply to me again unless you are contributing to the thread.
>>
>>7658906
Never read Dosty, but it sounds to me like those times you hit rock bottom and there is a masochistic bliss is the inhibitions you maintained collapsing as ultimate failure renders them unnecessary.
>>
File: 1453600111133.png (57 KB, 276x256) Image search: [Google]
1453600111133.png
57 KB, 276x256
>>7659065
>>
>>7659056
I doubt it was directly misinterpreted, rather adapted and thus assimilated into the philosophical movement that later gave birth to them.
>>
>>7659065
He's got you now, anon.
>>
>>7659077
I was just drunkenly memeing familiae. Goddamn this is a depressing book
>>
>>7659077
There's freedom at the bottom.
>>
>>7658943
doing God's work anon
>>
>>7659119
Thanks anon, I may be a drunk memelord, but I have principles. Notes is hitting waaay too close to home for comfort so I'm numbing the pain with gin and shitposting, as is tradition
>>
>>7659119
>>7659123
Also if you've read anything by Boleslaw Prus, could you tell me what you thought? No one has contributed to my other post and I'd really like to get some opinions on him
>>
File: 1451650365553.jpg (344 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1451650365553.jpg
344 KB, 633x758
>>7659117
spoken like somebody who's never been there. Life at the bottom is like being an innocent man mistakenly condemned to an invisible private hell devoid of light, hope, god, humanity or any of the million kinds of invisible succor you didn't know you needed inside you every minute. There's nowhere to go when your torturer lives inside your head with you, and Dostoevsky, as a religious man, could never understand the black black depths of true hopelessness.
>>
>>7659244
Religious people can feel and understand hopelessness too
>>
>>7659251
Nope.
>>
>>7659260
Wow well I'm won over now
>>
>>7659274
You can't say stupid things and expect me to shoulder both halves of the intellectual burden. Here I'll indulge you though.

Someone who genuinely believes in the literal existence of an omnipresent, loving god has a final bedrock of refuge that can't desert him. Even if everything else is hopeless he actually literally believes the single most important being, eternal, infinitely powerful and everywhere at all times loves him unconditionally with all his categorically superhuman heart.

You have to see a serious difference in capacity for hopelessness between people who- I can't stress this enough- **actually literally believe this** and people who don't. Things can be really, qualitatively worse for people who don't have that.
>>
>>7659244
>Life at the bottom is like being an innocent man mistakenly condemned
It's a much better feeling to be mistakenly condemned than to know you belong there.
That's the true bottom.
>>
>>7658915
kek'd HARD
>>
>>7659017
Schopie?
>>
>>7659244
>still wanting things
>thinking you don't deserve what you have (nothing)
God damn misery plebs.
>>
>>7659340
How can you possibly know that without personal experience? Religious people can grapple with their faith, it's a pretty fucking big part of Russian literature, and they can feel like they are beyond redemption and will end up in hell no matter what they do. I'm not religious, but having been at one point I assure you it in now way diminishes the pain of waking up every morning wanting to fucking hang yourself
>>
>>7659077
not really, read it
it's very short and very good
>>
File: John Green.jpg (19 KB, 247x360) Image search: [Google]
John Green.jpg
19 KB, 247x360
>>7658906
“If laws were real they wouldn’t need to be enforced, because if they were real they couldn’t be broken. Try breaking the law of gravity. Now that’s a law. Laws made by man are rules reflecting the current status of his moral codes. As he alters and whittles away his morality, casting bits and pieces aside, his codes change to reflect it.”
>>
File: 1448354672361.jpg (80 KB, 520x750) Image search: [Google]
1448354672361.jpg
80 KB, 520x750
>>7661608
You had 24 hours to compose a response that didn't out you as a moron and you insult us with this?
>>
>>7662328
Good lord I have a life, forgive me for living it. It isn't wrong of me to question a generalizing statement (and an idiotic and vitriolic one at that) made by someone who clearly thinks they're harder done by than anyone else. If you think I'm a moron, so fucking be it I probably am, but at least I don't mistake my idiocy for intellectual superiority like you evidently do.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.