[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm hoping someone on /lit/ can help me get into literature.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: cormac-mccarthy-the-road.jpg (21 KB, 300x485) Image search: [Google]
cormac-mccarthy-the-road.jpg
21 KB, 300x485
I'm hoping someone on /lit/ can help me get into literature. I've read maybe 3 or 4 novels in my lifetime, but most of those were required reading during English studies in middle school and high school.

I recently picked up pic related and really enjoyed it. The novel paints such a vivid landscape of life after the end of civilization. Unfortunately, the novel is pretty short - I finished it the very same day. I'd definitely like to find more novels in the same vein, but there are so many authors to sift through.

As far as other media is concerned, I'm a huge fan of Mad Max, Fallout, Dark Sun and most anything else based in a post-apocalyptic setting, which is why The Road caught my attention in the first place.

By the way, I did check the Wiki for recommended reading, but the synopses of most of the novels filed under "post-apocalyptic fiction" didn't sound too interesting, or they were too involved with specific political or religious agendas. The Wiki is also very incomplete, having a lot of empty tables and no accompanying descriptions for many entries.
>>
>>7658154
Book of the New Sun
>>
>>7658154
You're not going to find any other apocalyptic lit as well written as The Road. But Blood Meridian by the same author is arguably even more "apocalyptic" than The Road in it's portrayal of humanity, and it has the bleak landscapes and roving bands of desert marauders dressed in scraps of fallen civilizations, so it even fits there. It's also generally considered one of the better if not the best of McCarthy's already great catalog.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.