[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought an autographed copy of The Tunnel. What can I expect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 269x368) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 269x368
I just bought an autographed copy of The Tunnel. What can I expect?
>>
>>7658097
An autograph.
>>
>>7658097
The Tunnel
>>
>>7658100
>>7658110
Thanks lads. I haven't read it before but I've finished nearly the entire catalogue of /lit/'s favorite post modernists, save for McElroy, so I was hoping for some information
>>
>>7658097
Gas
>>
>>7658097
For one, some of the best prose of the last 50 years; for two, pretty metaphors and similes; for three, an amount of confusion you haven't felt since Ulysses or JR; for four, a truly disturbing time poking around in Kohler's (by extention, Gass') head; and, for five, some incredibly interesting and original themes. It's important going in to know that Kohler is in many ways Gass: they share childhood experiences, jobs, and a hatred for the whole of humanity. Remember: according to Gass himself, he writes to get back at his abusive parents; this is his revenge.
>>
>>7658114
Gass isn't a postmodernist; in fact, when asked about it, he "laughed off the title," and said he classified himself as a writer of "decayed modern."
>>
>>7658144
That's pretty postmodern of him
>>
>>7658144
Oh I see. Since he said his writing isn't post modern, it must not be post modern
This is the dumbest fucking argument ever. The writer's opinion is irrelevant after the work has been written
>>
>>7658208
>the author didn't know what he was writing
and you call other people dumb.....
>>
Entry level postmodernism
>>
>>7658221
Let's just do away with critics entirely and let the authors review their own books
>>
>>7658144
That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I would have considered him postmodern from the small preview of his work that I've seen, but I guess I'll have to wait until I get the book. Then again, how much of a difference could there be between "postmodern" and "decayed modern"
>>
There's no such thing as postmodernism. It's all just modernism. Postmodernism is a forced meme, stop perpetuating it.
>>
>>7658208
Gass is one of the most well-read people to have ever lived. If he says he's not postmodern, he isn't postmodern.
>>
>>7658259
Nice bait.
>>
it's better be this Tunnel
>>
>>7658368
>includes picture of William Gass
>still needing to specify which Tunnel is being referred to

Damn
>>
>There are no spanish translations of The Tunnel

A la mierda.
>>
>>7658114
>>7658144
>>7658208

None of you even knows what post-modernism even means.
>>
>>7658208
>le death of the author maymay
Barthes was a hack.
>>
>>7658429
>implying anyone even remotely recognizes or rates Gass besides this one autist forcing his personal Gass meme
>>
>>7658442
Please friend, explain what post modernism means.
I'm waiting.
>>
>>7658442
Postmodernism: a reaction to the horrors of the world wars and industrialist society; in contrast to modernism, postmodernism is often depraved, disturbing, and revelatory of a heightened feeling of isolation and alienation like that of existentialist writers; it is bitter and cynical, biting and rebellious, chaotic and skeptical.
>>
>>7658435
Because of how musical it is, trying to translate it would be like trying to translate Ulysses.
>>
>>7658449
Barthel was interesting and insightful. Undergrads howling "DEATH OF THE AUTHOR" at everything without even understanding what Barthes was talking about make him look a lot worse than he is.
>>
>>7658144
>he "laughed off the title," and said he classified himself as a writer of "decayed modern."

LITERALLY tips fedora in response
>>
>>7659812
Please do not insult my Gass.
>>
I don't know, I've only read the one without the autograph.
>>
>>7658368
brb, need to go and ask Gass to sign a copy of that one for me
>>
Any body own Women and Men?
It goes for 179-300 on eBay.
>>
>>7658144
"Hehe no, my work definitely isn't postmodern" -every postmodern author
>>
>>7661227
If anyone is well-read enough to definitively tell what movement applies to their work, it's Gass. If the man says something, it's true.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.