[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've put off reading this for a long time. Is it even worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: 81nbyAfBiAL.jpg (365 KB, 1400x2136) Image search: [Google]
81nbyAfBiAL.jpg
365 KB, 1400x2136
I've put off reading this for a long time.

Is it even worth it?
>>
It's a meme book for meme people whose entire brains are composed of fucking memes.
>>
>>7657916
Well that doesn't really answer my question
>>
It's very short so why not. It's not great but still an "essential" work
>>
>>7657912
It's okay. The prose is nice, but not great. Of his crew--Joyce, Pound, Stein, and Hemingway--Fitzgerald was the least talented and the biggest sell out.
>>
>>7657912
yes it is worth it

shitting on the great gatsby is a good sign of a tryhard pleb
>>
>>7657912
I read it and felt it was overrated. Though, I think that of most 'American novels'. Not just novels written by Americans or about America, but that class of books deemed 'American novels' that seem to attract an undeserved amount of praise. You know the ones.
>>
>>7657912
no, not even with it being this short
>>
>>7657912
an easy read, and worth it even just for the last page, 2bh
>>
It's a good book. Hemingway loved it even though he knew Fitzgerald very well and hated him.
>>
>>7657942
I would agree with this
>>
>>7657912
Ignore the plebs shitposting about memes and Fitzgerald. It is good. I sometimes think of it as the essential novel. It's a breezy read and emotionally satisfying, and a nice little parable about the foolishness of the American Dream and the pull of the past.

I couldn't make it more than about 100 pages into Tender is the Night and haven't read any of Ftizgerald's other works that I recall, but Gatsby stands on its own.
>>
>>7657912
Read it, to understand why people make fun of "American literature".
>>
Just watch the movie, it has this superqtpi
>>
People shit on it because it's a 'high school book', still quite enjoyable though
>>7658045
This desu
>>
>>7657956

i fucking hope you're not talking about Moby Dick, Blood Meridian, or The Sound and the Fury, or i'll scalp you IRL

if you're talking about GR or IJ or things of that nature i dont disagree
>>
When I first picked it up, the abuse of adverbs and constant substitutes for "said" make me put it back down within the first 10 pages

Does it get more bearable or will I just have to stick through it?
>>
>>7660688
A clueless person's idea of good writing all throughout. You don't need to read it just because the industry has named it a classic, there's much better fare in that department.
>>
>>7660659
Blood Meridian is overrated, anon. Very good, but definitely overrated. McCarthy is babby-tier compared bro authors like Gaddis and Gass.
>>
>>7660828
>because i say it is so
>>
>>7660828
*to
>>
>>7660832
Would you like to explain why you think otherwise? Have you read Gaddis or Gass?
>>
>>7660841
I only read McCarthy and Camus, most other authors are really bad and I bet Gladdis and Gass are too
>>
>>7660845
Oh, I see: you're pulling my leg. Funny.
>>
>>7660854
You should have seen the fucking look on your face
>>
File: medium_2760640158.jpg (62 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
medium_2760640158.jpg
62 KB, 500x357
>>7660856
>>
I read it because I wanted to get more popular with girls. I regret wasting those few hours reading it. No girl noticed my goodreads update and 3 pharagraphs long rant about the book on facebook.
>>
>>7660863
No that wasn't it
You looked like you had just gotten your ASS handed to you
>>
>>7660864
I'm not a grill but I don't think anybody would take the time to read three paragraphs on Facebook. That's a lot of commitment for a scroll feed
>>
>>7657956
Oh god I can't agree more.
>>
I've read it outside of a curriculum and enjoyed it very much, it got me into reading after many years of literary abstinence
I'm planning to reread in the forseeable future as I think that you have to be somewhat well-read to fully appreciate it, to have experiences to compare it to
As I tend to compare everything to the impact Gatsby had on me, it kind of skewed my opinions on many respected works of lit
>>
>>7657912
personally i didn't liked it that much but it's surely a good book because of its meanings
>>
>>7657912
it was o k
>>
>~200 pages

You can read it in two fairly modest sittings... Just read it. Even if you didn't like it, at least it was 3-4 hours you didn't spend shitposting.
>>
>>7661863
>reads 200 pages in 3 hours.
How do you people do this?
>>
>>7661877
by reading about 70 pages an hour.
>>
>>7661887
Hella epic broski
>>
>>7657912
Ignore all these shit heads who talk about "hur dur its a meme book. You're a meme pleb meme ass." Don't get discouraged by the fact that they teach it in high school English. It's some of Fitzgerald's best prose. Just because they teach it to high schoolers doesn't disqualify it from being good literature and the reason they teach it is because it's an easy read and can help people get into literature in the first place. I read this book in high school and it got me back into reading. I now read constantly. I'd like to think it's because this book showed me how great literature can be.
>>
>>7660463
Don't do this. Not even Mulligan can save that travesty.
>>
It's pretty good. It catered to my hair and nuque fetish.
>>
Thought great gatsby was ok. I think you would survive if you skipped it.
>>
Read it last summer for the first time. I liked it a lot but it didn't blow my mind. Can't you just enjoy something decently?
>>
All that I remember from this book in high school is that Gatsby liked to throw parties
>>
This board is a meme in and of itself.

"SHOULD I READ THIS!?!?"
"ON A SCALE OF ONE TO IMPOSSIBLE HOW MUCH LESS OF AN IDIOT DO I HAVE TO BE TO ENJOY A PIECE OF LITERATURE SUGGESTED HERE!?!?"

It is a good read.

tl;dr
Just read what you fucking want to read.
>>
The Great Gatsby is great. It probably won't change your life, but it is a solid piece of fiction.

Recent highschool grads hate it because they had it assigned three years in a row.
>>
>>7657912

No. It is TRASH.
>>
>>7657942
Nonsense, Fitzgerald was worth 5 Pounds and 20 Steins
>>
>>7657912
Ahh yes. The book that started "the curtains are blue"

If you read it at face value and nothing more its an interesting story.
>>
>>7657912
Gatsby is an interesting character and it has some great imagery. A little shlocky though.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.