[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: post some of the bullshit you have to read this semester
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 16
ITT: post some of the bullshit you have to read this semester

seminar about 'Music, Identity and Difference'
>>
>>7656371
>it is frightening when x
>that's a fact
Lol'd

I haven't had to read anything stupid this semester, I picked my classes based on professor. I guess my contemporary ethics class has resulted in reading some stupid shit (Nozick's argument for philosophical anarchy, LaFollette's argument for licensing parents) but my professor thankfully doesn't advocate anything.
>>
>>7656371
Why don't you just pick good classes, you moron?
>>
I can do whatever I want and you have to support me.

Don't accept me. Don't acknowledge me. SUPPORT me. CHEER for me. Tell me I'm special.

I am special.

That's why I get to define the reality you experience. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>7656397
The class description made no mention of this. I was expecting a class about how music is used to construct a 'self,' but obviously expected too much.

Everyone is required to take a seminar course at my uni and I was a transfer so I didn't have much to choose from anyway.
>>
>>7656422
>I was expecting a class about how music is used to construct a 'self,'

And you expected something good?

lel.

Read Adorno
>>
>>7656428
>>
Kek
>>
File: 1453226676647.gif (991 KB, 233x199) Image search: [Google]
1453226676647.gif
991 KB, 233x199
>>7656371
>le chinese cartoon face in top left corner
>>
>Take a course on Identity and Territorial Conflict
>It's all about Ethno-nationalism
>Write a paper on The Balkans, N.Ireland, Israel and what was happening in Ukraine at the time

Turned out better than I expected :^)
>>
>>7656531
Also

>Take class on Neoliberalism and Regional Development
>Looking at gentrification
>Old school marxist professor lays out well reasoned arguement how middle class queers are displacing poor people from their neighbourhoods in order to make it more "progressive"
>>
File: 1454309980339.png (504 KB, 454x600) Image search: [Google]
1454309980339.png
504 KB, 454x600
I dont have to read marxist shit, STEM masterrace niggers.
>>
Waiting for the Barbarians
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
Orientalism
>>
what the fuck is happening
>>
>>7656559
stop posting this shit
>>
>>7656559
Name of book? Amazing this would be recommended reading in any academia
>>
>>7656559
This can't be a real thing
Where is this shit coming from?
>>
>>7656559
Did Million Dollar Extreme write this?
>>
>>7656567
This.

It has to be fake.
>>
Senior Year of College....The Great fucking Gatsby
>>
>>7656567
>>7656570
"My Gender Workbook" by Kate Bornstein (2013)
>>
>>7656583
Prove to me that this is an actual class at uni and that this is genuinely assigned reading, or fuck off.

There
>>
>>7656583
Please tell me you didn't pay anything close to the list price for that
>>
>>7656570

Probably a fifteen year old emo girl who hasn't the balls (lol get it) to kill herself. As if she could disappoint her parents any further.
>>
>>7656583
>Bornstein
>>
File: jew_basic.jpg (19 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
jew_basic.jpg
19 KB, 220x220
>>7656583
>Bornstein

Go.fucking.figure.
>>
>>7656589
It's free via school library resource

>>7656588
Hesitant to give you too much, but here's a screen cap of part of the syllabus. Promise it's real.
>>
>>7656603
>>
>>7656607
>the state of American colleges

Is it any wonder the most capitalist country is also the most "progressive"?
>>
>>7656538
>have to take Soc 101
>look at equivalent course credit
>Core texts of Social and Political thought

Phew
>>
OP here.

I don't understand this class. Professor played Turkish Black Metal on the first day and talked about Foucault last week. Why can't we read Foucault? Oh right, white male.
>>
>>7656647
post rest of syllabus.
>>
>>7656647
Please post syllabus!
>>
>>7656607
>2103
>>
>>7656607
>achieving world peace through gender anarchy\

that sounds pretty cool actually, what's wrong with a genderless communist free-love utopia
>>
>>7656670
I wouldn't be able to look in between my legs and reassure myself that I'm superior.
>>
>>7656657
>>7656663
It isn't as interesting/zany as the images I posted. I also don't feel like redacting it for 4chan.
>>
>>7656611

>America

>"the most capitalist"

Not in terms of total production or political policy
>>
>>7656713

Strange how that's become China, eh?

They even have the inevitable economic depression so the rich can get a slight bit richer while watching the poor clammer in the streets and therefore depend more on the government in which THEY FUND.

OH BOY WHAT A SYSTEM!
>>
>>7656422
Clearly you don't know what "identity" means these days. It's anything that you won't stop bitching about other people not caring about.
>>
>>7656514
God, that language is so infatilizing for a university textbook.
>>
We're going to read the Lysistrata which is cool in all but the catch is we're only reading it so we can watch spike lee's adaptation.
Also in the same class Morrison's Sula, which is just confusing more than anything, why pick one of her lesser works?
>>
Persepolis, Citizen by Claudia Rankine, classmates essays on "Gender being a Disability"

I was essentially shunned (I'm one of two guys in the only major requirement English class and the only sophomore (bc i was putting off taking the worst class, 101 essentially but its like high school freshman level rigorous)) by the entire class for wanting to read Gothic fiction in regards to its form, poetic movements through prose and narratology instead of race or feminist theories, my professor loves it but never thinks of it on her own and always cycles back to identity readings.

We also have to do a bunch of "Digital Literature" like flash games and those obscure simulation type things
>>
I'd literally quit uni on the spot.
>>
File: 1429641490020.jpg (185 KB, 791x606) Image search: [Google]
1429641490020.jpg
185 KB, 791x606
You plebs need to learn to research the class/prof you're taking. Obviously you don't sign up for "The Sociology of Queer Film Theory" if you're turned off by that kind of stuff.

>tfw my only elective this semester is Medieval Phil with some octogenarian descended from Austrian nobility
>tfw this man was head of the Canadian Medical Association, travelled the world collecting Damascus steel and hunting bears and is intimately involved in contemporary philosophy of mathematics/physics
>tfw in an hour and a half this man single handedly proved that God is real and we can have empirically verifiable experiences of the transcendent.
>tfw to top it all off he's a cheeky fucker who cracks dirty jokes and wears a shit eating grin between sips of coffee and stories that range from him finding a first edition Metaphysics of Morals for $25 to him spending five years in a Siberian labour camp.
>>
>>7656371

My gender is the specialest snowflake gender.
>>
>>7657574
Shit, you've found the gender equivalent to "NUH UH, I'M INFINITY TO THE INFINITY POWER"
>>
>>7657569
OP here. Taking an ancient philosophy class. Professor is a disheveled old guy who lectures while looking at the wall behind us and sometimes only tucks the front of his in (picture a shirt mullet). Also wears old guy sandals with socks.

Last week he somehow started talking about the Mona Lisa. He said he thinks it's overrated and that you can't even see the damn thing because Japanese people are always around it taking pictures.

He's pretty funny. Sometimes he'll make a joke, see me or someone else smirking at it, get all excited, and start talking faster.

Him and my world lit professor are cool. World lit is a British woman who wears black everyday and in roundabout way told us to get over our 'triggers' because we'll be reading some dark/rough shit.

So yeah, just got a little unlucky with a few of my professors. Ancient philosophy should be interesting because he just rambles for an hour and a half every day.
>>
>>7656413
Didn't think I'd see Stirner in this thread
>>
File: 1452620701180.jpg (38 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1452620701180.jpg
38 KB, 413x395
>>7657569
Those are the best kind of professors
>>
If the text doesn't provide a source for everything mentioned, you could file a complaint stating that the class doesn't adhere to academic standards.
>>
File: kant trigger warning.jpg (90 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
kant trigger warning.jpg
90 KB, 480x320
>>7657612
>World lit is a British woman who wears black everyday and in roundabout way told us to get over our 'triggers' because we'll be reading some dark/rough shit.

My Kant professor has pic related printed on his office door and thinks it's absolutely hilarious.

I get the sense that even though identity politics is getting more and more prevalent there is a fair amount of Academia happy to just ride the tiger.
>>
>>7657569
>You plebs need to learn to research the class/prof you're taking. Obviously you don't sign up for "The Sociology of Queer Film Theory" if you're turned off by that kind of stuff.

Yeah but this shit shouldn't be in colleges anyway. You should be able to pick a course, any course, and learn something edifying or useful, otherwise what's it for? Just taking money off talentless rich kids and force-feeding them ideology, making them even more idle and obnoxious than they were when they went in.
>>
>>7657630
Universities are a business, not a charity (welcome to the capitalist West) so it makes sense that they'd offer classes that require little work on the part of the university/the prof as long as there's demand for these classes.

My Uni offers classes like "Medieval History of Middle-Earth", "Physics in Batman" and "Beyonce as a Major Figure" and there are students willing to shell out $1000 of their student loan to study these for four months.

It's naive to think that all uni classes are for higher learning, but there are obviously classes that do cater to actual study. Serious students aren't tempted by the bullshit and recognize that if you aren't working your ass off and pushing yourself to your mental limits you aren't getting your money's worth.
>>
>>7656559
>post-human

The moment that you solve the captcha you go forward human's limits

We're all already post
>>
>>7657569
please never write anything, ever.
>>
>>7657805
>implying I'm not a published author

Hint: Assuming you've been in school in the past 20 years there's a 95% chance you've read one of my novels about coming of age in the United States
>>
>>7657808
John Green?
>>
>>7657808
did you write Boyhood?
>>
>>7657808
That hijacked the thread.
>>
>>7657846
>>7657848
No

>>7657874
This thread was already unbearably white so nothing of value was lost
>>
>>7657808
Is your novel Huck Finn?
>>
>>7656647
Why would you want to read Foucault anyway?
>>
File: frege.jpg (39 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
frege.jpg
39 KB, 446x362
>first day of philosophy class
>professor says participation makes up part of our grade
>easiest way to participate is to speak in class
>professor says there is a gender imbalance in philosophy PhD's
>and but so "There must be something going wrong at the undergraduate level"
>"women will be called upon to speak (participate) more then men to "correct" this "problem"
>therefore it will be harder for male students to get participation marks
>mfw

It's only 5 or 10 percent but still, it's the principle of the thing. I don't fork over tuition money to participate in affirmative action experiments
>>
>>7657538
Why do you still attend?
>>
>>7657914
>frogposter hasn't killed self yet
>ugly dumb frogposting scum
>>
>>7657914
Is this true?
>>
Can like, just nuke merica?
>>
>>7657808
Holy shit, it's J.K. Rowling!
>>
>>7657946

I'm not bullshitting he said this at the end of the first class. Other than that he's a competent lecturer and the readings seem pretty standard. I expected some sort of social justice onslaught but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm still a little peeved.
>>
>>7656559
Your prof is going to turn around to you guys on the last day of class with a shit eating grin and tell you it was all a joke.
Right?
RIGHT?
>>
>>7656647
>Turkish Black Metal
Which band?
>>
File: debray2.jpg (28 KB, 344x563) Image search: [Google]
debray2.jpg
28 KB, 344x563
This whole fucking mess.
>>
>>7658000
i dont speak muslim, what it says?
>>
>>7657914
Should've just walked out, m8.
>>
>Canadian lit class
>2nd class lit majors have had to take at this point
>just want the fucking piece of paper, whatever.jpg
>last class all about immigrants bitching about their new luxurious though culturally disenfranchised lives
>this one rife with muh Indian tears
>muh stolen land
>muh residential schools
We already did this for 5 years of high school, guys
>>
yall niggas know you can write whatever you want as long as you engage with the material and back your shit up
profs aren't there to "indoctrinate" you, just present you with new shit that sparks a discussion
t. a prof
>>
>>7656371
>pick a Russian lit class for fun at uni
>we read crime and punishment, let's see how this turns out

This is week 2 discussion. Nobody says a fucking thing. I mention connection to ubermensch to get people talking. Nothing. We talk about the color yellow

>yellow

Christian Girl and Atheist(tm) are the main talkers. Wtf did I do
>>
>>7656670
Reality.
>>
>>7658800
No one ever expresses opinions in college.

Even in stem classes were you can't be wrong if you trucking studied.
>>
>>7657978
The band Turkish Black Metal

>>7657911
You think he isn't preferable to the images I posted? I don't care how low your opinion is of him; it can't be *that* low.
>>
>>7658816
Well and I guess it doesn't help that the rest of the class is probably taking it to fill a requirement. I really didn't think this through
>>
>tfw finally earned a chili pepper on ratemyprofessor
Feels good, man.
>>
>>7658756
Literally this

If you disagree, scrutinise the material and respond to it with the full conviction of your intellect

If you get apathy speak to people who care

If you get slandered tell them to fuck off

If you are proven wrong and can't defend your stance concede and be grateful because you've learned
>>
>>7658870
i never understood this
the students click this because they find you attractive?
i don't teach in america, nobody uses ratemyprofessor
>>
>>7658939
But like.. Why wouldn't you do it? You need to rate your professor's body so like... You know which hot ones to go to. Like... How do you not know this?
>>
>>7656634
is dat some U of C
>>
>>7658939
>>7658955
I don't know mang, I just teach them, I don't try to understand them.
>>
>>7657627
>children reading Kant

patrish
>>
>>7658955
i didn't really know what it meant because i'm not in america
even when i was in a country that used the site less religiously, i never understood it because while i thought it was about attractiveness there were old men and fat women that got the pepper
so i thought it may have just been "interesting" or something
>>
>>7656371
R8 my required reading for my literature course this semester, boyos
>Conrad's Heart of Darkness
>Joyce's Portrait of the Artist
>Nabokov's Pnin
>Dinesen's Last Tales
>Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea
>Saro-Wiwa's Sozaboy

I'm pretty satisfied myself, haven't actually read anything by the meme man Joyce yet.
>>
>>7657881
go to sleep junot diaz.
>>
>>7657569
>singlehandedly proved that god is real
yah
>>
>>7657808
sorry anon, i only read good literature
>>
>>7658800
try harder, speak more, converse with professor, maybe try choosing a less meme author. these are all serious suggestions.
>>
A lot of people here are 'taking classes', so I assume you're American.
I study philosophy and Denmark, besides this one course now (where we could choose between existencephilosophy and phenomenology / aesthetics), it has all been set in stone what classes we have, and we only have philosophy classes.

Going to the University of California on exchange for 10 months next year, is the 'political correctness' culture as big as the internet make it out to be? I'm aiming to do different courses in logic, mathematics and some computer science. I've had to deal with 3 ethics courses here, but they weren't infested with 'social justice' meme or similar.

I hope college will be cool.
>>
>>7656670
the destruction of all values & all life on earth
>>
>>7656559
I fucking hate these freaks. I wish they would all die or stand up and fight us instead of slowly poisoning this world to death
>>
>>7656670
I know. We're all equal. Except evil whites with their inventions and shieeet. #feelthebern xDDDDDD
>>
>>7656607
Her Gender Outlaws is pretty classic and a decent book. I thought the Gender Workbook was a children's book.
>>
File: A.jpg (2 MB, 3507x2550) Image search: [Google]
A.jpg
2 MB, 3507x2550
Some Heideggerian Architecture and the first chapter of Homoludens by Huizinga.
The first was written beautifully I still don't get how you can relate it to any human experience

the 2nd is overall point for correct thing but when you try to enlarge the scope to religion fails horribly, also the lecturer completely misrepresent Huizinga's point that man is outside the biological explanation by putting his basic ideas through the lens of evolution and cover up the fact Huizinga try to apply it to the religious phenomena as a whole and he only showed the celebration.
>>
>>7656559
This is not sincere and it's painfully obvious

I live in the thick of San Francisco and not even here does anyone genuinely do anything near this, certainly not after junior year of high school
>>
File: IMG_20160126_174433.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_174433.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
>>7659494
Was at Hiroshima recently. Surprising how otherworldly the dome is when you are actually standing there and realize how all the people inside were vaporized and see the pictures of the area just leveled.
Very somber place. The peace Bell was locked but a Japanese guard came and unlocked it for me even though I speak no Japanese.

Crazy place. Was surpassed how emotionally heavy it feels. All the memorials say they stand as monuments for peace.
>>
>>7659519
I just didn't understand from the text nor the lecture around it, how the understanding so deeply innate to the buildings and architecture itself.
they might lend specific interpretations but its hardly necessary nor is it universal to every person from every background basis.

I heard the same on churches, that they make the man feel small, but I hardly see how its even noticeable when I don't come from christian background and relate myself to the roots of this understanding.
>>
>>7657651
Where the fuck do you go?
>>
>>7656422
It did. Anything with identity in it as well as difference is bound to be progressive trash.
>>
Don't usually go for the bitching about feminism thing but my chinese - english dictionary of all things felt the need to say yin and yang is male chauvinism. Which makes me think the woman who wrote the dictionary didn't read the Tao Te Ching or even look at the yin yang symbol and think about it for a moment. Huh that's weird no out of place pithy comment about the character for woman making up part of the compound character for "good"
>>
>>7656670
The fact that you don't achieve world peace through gender anarchy.
>>
>>7659894
Why the shit would they even bother saying something that bizarrely political?
>>
>>7659469
>is the 'political correctness' culture as big as the internet make it out to be
No.
>>
>>7659469
>political correctness culture
It is already prevalent in Denmark and Europe at large etc. Tell me that if you made a joke at the expense of gender/race/sexuality in the public you would not be crucified.

You may not have any desire to do it but your freedom to do so is being encroached in favour of safety and shelter from diversity of opinions. Every draconian appeal to university authority is proof of it.
>>
>>7660468
Yeah I know, it's true.
>tfw new student magazine edition
>"for this edition, we chose to have a theme!"
>"it's GENDER!"
>>
>>7659832
Yeah, I guess so. This class is weird for me. I consider myself liberal and open-minded, but a lot of it is just plain silly. >>7656559 being a prime example.

I was excited for this semester because I was expecting to be exploring music and how it influences who I am, but it's clearly catering to one or two people and excluding just about everyone else.
>>
>>7658918
Fucking thank you
>>
File: 1454408914017.jpg (119 KB, 617x932) Image search: [Google]
1454408914017.jpg
119 KB, 617x932
>not studying something objective and leaving the subjective for your free time
>>
Given fragments of post-colonialist books. I only read the introduction to Doty's "Imperial Encounters" and I don't really get it. Searching for a short intro to Derrida now.
>>
>>7660468
>prevalent in Denmark
Yeah stealing possesions from refugees is so sjw.
>>
>>7656514
>postmodern theory
Well shit, even such a simple excerpt has left me utterly confused as to how any of the top paragraph is in any way related to postmodern theory. I'm lost and need help.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.